Windows 10: Windows 10 Home has created an extra partition (Local disk 'F'), why?

Discus and support Windows 10 Home has created an extra partition (Local disk 'F'), why? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently built a new computer and installed Windows 10 Home and ideally I would have had the following: Operating System (C), Games (D) and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Tommygunn, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Tommygunn Win User

Windows 10 Home has created an extra partition (Local disk 'F'), why?

I recently built a new computer and installed Windows 10 Home and ideally I would have had the following:
    Operating System (C), Games (D) and Everything Else (G) - C and D on my SSD and G on my HDD.

However, after the install, a disk 'F' appeared on my SSD and has the same or similar folders as my 'C' drive, and I don't know why. From some searching this would appear to be normal and unavoidable, however, other people's 'F' disk only seems to take up a few hundred Mb's while mine has a capacity of nearly 20Gb.

Why is this file here, why are certain programs e.g. Movavi Video Suite defaulting to it for photo/video saves and can I get rid of it and return the 20Gb back to C or D disk?

Thanks,
    Tom.

Windows 10 Home has created an extra partition (Local disk 'F'), why? [​IMG]

:)

Tommygunn, Nov 27, 2017
  2. rfhar Win User

Disk 0 has an extra partition ?

thanks, that confirms my thinking this morning. I can always use one of the other options. That "F" will disappear very soon though.

rfhar, Nov 27, 2017
  3. rfhar Win User
    Disk 0 has an extra partition ?

Just to be sure...I could delete both "F" partition and the Recovery partition and merge them with "C" and then Windows would do what it needs to rebuild the Recovery an Reserve partitions. I could expand the Reserve to 600 mb and then expand "C" with
    the leftover?

rfhar, Nov 27, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

Post image of disk partitions from disk managenent.

cereberus, Nov 27, 2017
  5. Tommygunn Win User

Tom.

Tommygunn, Nov 27, 2017
  6. Tommygunn Win User
    I believe I'm mistaken, this is part of my internal HDD, correct?

I don't know how it got there. When I installed W10 I formatted both my SSD and the HDD creating only two distinct partitions on the SSD for the OS and my games. The HDD was reformatted as it had XP on it, leaving it as one whole, contiguous drive and then copying all my files over to it from my back up drive, the HDD now solely being used for my slow stuff e.g. videos, photos, docs etc.

Somehow this extra drive/partition has appeared on the HDD.

Tom.

Tommygunn, Nov 27, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    I believe you are confusing formatting and partitioning, @Tommygunn. You likely only formatted the existing data partition on the HDD, and did not repartition the HDD to remove the previous Windows partition that was on it. If the HDD previously had a Windows installation with a separate partition (drive letter) for data on it, what did you use to delete the partitions on the HDD?

NavyLCDR, Nov 27, 2017
  8. Tommygunn Win User

I believe you are right. After some further investigation it would appear that I overlooked the old XP partition and just went straight for the 'G' partition thinking I was wiping everything at once.
    Thanks for the insight.

I've just received my new HDD this afternoon to replace the one in question, because it's old and tired. Currently formatting the new HDD so we'll see what happens but I'm sure everything will right itself.

Cheers,
    Tom.

Tommygunn, Nov 27, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    In Disk Management you can change what drive letters get assigned to which partitions and drives by right clicking on the partition or drive. Just don't change C: drive!

NavyLCDR, Nov 27, 2017
  10. Tommygunn Win User
    Ok, I've sorted this and did a proper format of the HDD and now it is just one single drive giving me the required three in total.

Thanks for the help,
    Tom.

Tommygunn, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Home has created an extra partition (Local disk 'F'), why? - Similar Threads - Home has created

2. What is the difference between Local Disk (C:) and Local Disk (F:)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What is the difference between Local Disk (C:) and Local Disk (F:): Is there any way possible for me to switch (C:) to (F:) for downloads. submitted by /u/Thecassandragoth [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i91yrh/what_is_the_difference_between_local_disk_c_and/
  3. Disk Partition Not Created

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk Partition Not Created: I tried to create a new partition on the hard drive 1TB of HP 15-Da0032wm from the Disk Management settings but I do get an error message that the partition cannot be created because there is not enough space even though I still have more than 700GB of free space....
  4. Two Local Disk Partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Two Local Disk Partition: I was recently shifted from hdd to ssd. After that I lost access from all of my previously installed apps and software. But there is another local disk in my new ssd where I can do my daily work. I want to transfer all of my previous local disk apps and software with their...
  5. Local Disk (F:)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Local Disk (F:): What is this it has a red bar? Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/local-disk-f/d814ec02-4fcc-4c5e-b32b-a4dc8e6db564
  6. Extra Partition

Extra Partition: I think I have an extra partition. Can I remove it? [img] The 500MB is the recovery partition from my Win 10 UPGRADE install, BUT now it's marked as a primary partition. Because I reinstalled Win 10 through Windows, not clean install, and got the 450MB partition which...
  7. local disk f

local disk f: [img] Hi everyone This has just appeared on my computer, and I cannot delete, can anyone please tell me how to get rid of this. Regards 60557
  8. Extra small disk partition since update...

in Windows 10 Support
    Extra small disk partition since update...: Since I received the latest update over last weekend, a new small (un-named) partition has appeared at the end of my 'C' Drive - see attached screenshot. Previously there was only a single partition containing all files. Can anyone explain what it is and is it essential,...
  9. Extra partitions created by Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Extra partitions created by Windows 10: I downloaded the iso and installed 10 over 7, doing the clean install option instead of an upgrade. After everything setup, I noticed some extra partitions were created that 7 did not have. Both are on my main C: drive. One is 450 MB labeled "Recovery Partition". After that...
  10. Extra partitions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Extra partitions: In ADMIN TOOLS|COMPUTER MGMT|DISK MGMT the following are listed... C: 952 GB "healthy recovery partition" 450 MB (the box is shaded) "healthy recovery partition" 449 MB D: 909 GB How can I get rid of the recovery partitions (or at least one, if the other is...