Windows 10: Windows 10 Home no digital license / entitlement on cloned disk?

Discus and support Windows 10 Home no digital license / entitlement on cloned disk? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I'm sure I read, and have previously tested a couple of times, that your license remained active if you changed hard drives. What I done a while ago... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by EightK, Nov 15, 2016.

1. EightK Win User

Windows 10 Home no digital license / entitlement on cloned disk?

I'm sure I read, and have previously tested a couple of times, that your license remained active if you changed hard drives.

What I done a while ago is saved an image of an activated Win 10 Home install on ssd (by clean installing Win 10 from USB (Media Creation Tool) using a never-before-used Win 8.1 retail key), then saved it as an image. I then restored that image to a HDD and went online for a while. Windows remained active.

However, I noticed yesterday when I restored that same image to the same HDD (other hardware remains the same) that it cannot find a digital entitlement. Restored the image a few times to no avail.

However, hooking up the original SSD showed that the license is still active. BTW, I pulled the plug when I realised Win Updates downloading and when I restarted, my sudden decision to terminate Win Updates messed up my install.

So I performed a fresh clean install of 1511 that I have on USB, skipped the key and when I got online - voila .... it was digitally activated!

Re-restored the image to the HDD and still no go?

So, am I doing something wrong, or have MS introduced something new - such as having to validate a key everytime a new peice of hardware's changed?

:)

EightK, Nov 15, 2016

2. What happens to the OEM digital entitlement of Windows 10 Home when you switch to Pro?

I recently bought a Dell laptop with an OEM digital entitlement to Windows 10 Home. I'd like to activate Windows 10 Pro* on it but I do not want to do that and waste the Windows 10 Home digital entitlement if it means losing the OEM digital entitlement to
    Windows 10 Home.

Q. When I activate Windows 10 Pro, will the OEM digital entitlement to Windows 10 Home that's currently attached to the Dell disappear?

Or, will my laptop now have that OEM Windows 10 Home digital entitlement and a Windows 10 Pro license, likely tracked through my Microsoft Hotmail account?

I ask this question because I don't want to waste the Windows 10 Home license. Someday I will likely want to sell my laptop, and, for resale purposes there's little difference between Windows 10 Home and Pro so I'd rather be able to take the Windows 10 Pro
    license with me to a new device and reactivate the OEM Windows 10 Home license.

*To be specific, I've taken my old laptop's SSD and dropped it in my new laptop. Now the Windows 10 Pro on it is not activated because the digital entitlement for the laptop is for Windows 10 Home.

Potentilla fruticosa, Nov 15, 2016
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Moving Windows 10 to SSD

Digital license (called a digital entitlement in Windows 10) is a method of activation in Windows 10 that doesn't require you to enter a product key.

This entitlement is linked to your motherboard rather than to your HDD . . .

Also since Build 14371, users will be able to associate their Microsoft Account (MSA) to their systems Digital License (DL), what we used to call a Digital Entitlement, and validate that hardware by logging
    in with their MSA.

DaveM121, Nov 15, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

If you have the Windows 10 installed that is not activated, right click on start icon. Select Command Prompt (Admin). Run:

slmgr /dlv

Post results here. Should look something like:

Windows 10 Home no digital license / entitlement on cloned disk? [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Nov 15, 2016
  5. Superfly Win User
    Check the diagnostic report from here : Activation troubleshooting - Windows 10 Forums

If you have digital entitlement the genuine ticket data should be at the bottom - it's all encrypted but at least we will know it's getting it - we can then determine any other error from the report as to why it's not being accepted.

Superfly, Nov 15, 2016
  6. EightK Win User
    Thanks both for your time. Sorry, I've been a bit busy.

I've ran the windows activation tool, but cannot get a report identical to that shown.

When I run the tool, I initially get an 'input string was not in a correct format' - when I continue, it basically confirms some basic details but nothing on Genuine Ticket.

I have since performed several clean installs on the SSD, switching between MBR and GPT (is GPT the way to go?) and on each ocassion, I've skipped a key during installation and automatically activated once connected online.

Surely deploying to a different disk (mechanical HDD) shouldn't affect the license digital entitlement?

EightK, Nov 17, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    As long as it is for the same computer, switching drives should not affect the digital entitlement. Move the drive to a new computer and Windows 10 will look for a digital entitlement stored for the new computer it was moved to, it will not keep the old one.

NavyLCDR, Nov 17, 2016
  8. Superfly Win User

OK, let me get this straight - a clean install on that PC gets digitally activated, whilst the image restore does not? If so I would think the image is corrupted perhaps?

Anyway I will check/fix that error that the ADT is throwing on 1511 and hopefully a diagnostic report will shed some light.

Superfly, Nov 17, 2016
  9. EightK Win User
    After further testing, I've realised that my original image had a product ID ending 169 and that the display adaptor was showing as ms basic display adaptor, and exclamation marks against pci simple comms, sm bus controllers and unknown device under other devices. when this image is restored to hdd, it didn't activate (i'm sure it has previously). before wiping the ssd (which created said original image), it remained activated when i went online. from the shots i've kept, the product id was the same.

so i have performed several clean installs as mentioned above, all of which auto activated with a de license. however, despite being on exactly the same hardware (except switching drives), i noticed the product id ends in 664. Anyways, I've stayed online for about 5 minutes, giving it enough time to search for and intsall relevant drivers (Intel hd and those under other devices). i then created an image of this activated install.

this image was deployed onto another disk and it appears on this ocassion, despite being on different drive, it remains activated.

is it something to do with the product id? has it changed due to the change from mbr to gpt? why did the original ssd install ending 169 remain activated if for some reason MS systems thinks it has since changed to end in 664?

EightK, Nov 18, 2016
  10. Superfly Win User
    Missing device drivers will certainly mess-up the hardware ID and explain the results on that restore.

Regarding the PiD, the last 5 characters are irrelevant - eg.. all OEM installs have that as AAOEM.

The PiD consistes of two major sub-ID's - using the generic Pro key's id: 00330-80000-00000-AA975

The bold = Windows Version as in Win 10 RTM Professional Retail

The Italics = KeyID (unique id a key is based on... NB: zeros normally indicate the first of the sequence and a generic key)

Anyway I have fixed the error you got on 1511 - you can re-download and try to a generate a report.

Superfly, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Home no digital license / entitlement on cloned disk? - Similar Threads - Home digital license

2. Re-activating a Win10 digital entitlement license

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Re-activating a Win10 digital entitlement license: Hi,I have a Win10 system with is licensed with a digital entitlement license which I need to re-install Windows 10 on exactly the same system - I'm not trying to transfer to a new machineAccording to this article If you have a digital license for your device, you can...
  3. Re-activating a Win10 digital entitlement license

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Re-activating a Win10 digital entitlement license: Hi,I have a Win10 system with is licensed with a digital entitlement license which I need to re-install Windows 10 on exactly the same system - I'm not trying to transfer to a new machineAccording to this article If you have a digital license for your device, you can...
  4. Re-activating a Win10 digital entitlement license

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 Home digital license.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Windows 10 Home digital license.: Could you please help me to buy Windows 10 Home digital license? I live in Honduras. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-home-digital-license/f0ed8ecd-53d5-4e16-8a12-d5b80339f077
  6. windows 10 home digital license

windows 10 home digital license: Is a window s 10 home digital license valid for a life time, just like the product key, 2019 version. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-home-digital-license/67d77557-d403-4c1e-a10d-ccfa26185189"
  7. Number of digital license entitlement for windows 10 pro

Number of digital license entitlement for windows 10 pro: Hi there, So far I've obtained 2 windows 10 pro from my win8pro free upgrade and bought 1 more win10 pro cd key where in the account info can I see how many license do I own...
  8. No digital entitlement

No digital entitlement: I upgraded my Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Home successfully. It shows windows is activated, but there is no message stating digital entitlement. Windows is working fine and updating, but if I need to do a clean install in the future, can this cause any problem, as I...
  9. Digital entitlements Windows 10 Home OEM desktop PC

Digital entitlements Windows 10 Home OEM desktop PC: My machine is above mentioned. Could I move the Windows 10 Home OEM license to other machine? Your advice is appreciated 48512
  10. Digital entitlement

Digital entitlement: Had an odd thing happen. I had to replace my motherboard(Asus to Asrock) and do a clean install of Win 10 Pro. I have a retail copy of 10 pro but I never entered my licence number as requested during install, when I got the update and security screen/activation I was...