Windows 10: windows 10 home premium retail version key required?

Discus and support windows 10 home premium retail version key required? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I downloaded and burnt the win 10 installation iso file to dvd, if I want to make it like my win 8.1 retail disc do I need to purchase a retail key,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by p5200, Jul 31, 2015.

1. p5200 Win User

windows 10 home premium retail version key required?

I downloaded and burnt the win 10 installation iso file to dvd, if I want to make it like my win 8.1 retail disc do I need to purchase a retail key, for the windows 10? If so how do I go about it? Thanks! *Smile

:)

p5200, Jul 31, 2015

2. Re activation of windows 10 home

Is it a retail or preinstalled OEM Windows 7 Home Premium key?

If its OEM, you can't transfer it.

If its retail, try using the Windows 7 key to reactivate Windows 10 Home by chat support:

Activate Your Windows 10 License via Microsoft Chat Support

Andre Da Costa, Jul 31, 2015
  3. Windows 7 retail license upgrade to Windows 10

I have a retail version of Windows 7 Home Premium, Upgraded to Windows 8 Pro, then 8.1 Pro.

What edition will I get after upgrading to Windows 10?

Will there be install media(e.g. iso image)/activation key(or will the Win7 or the Win8 key work?) available for me for bare-metal reinstall(I have official Windows 8 discs as well as the whole Win7 retail package), or will I always need to go through the
    tedious gradual install?

AndrásKovács, Jul 31, 2015
  4. windows 10 home premium retail version key required?

You can't "make it like" some other disc.

The purpose of it is to upgrade an existing installation of 7, 8, or 8.1 to Windows 10.

Did you want to upgrade an existing installation or not?

You can't use that burned disc to immediately do a clean installation on an empty drive. You have to have an existing installation.

If you do upgrade, you will effectively have a "retail 10" and you could then later do a "clean install" of 10 if you want--using that same burned disc.

You don't need to buy anything as along as you upgrade your existing installation with that burned disc within the next year.

ignatzatsonic, Jul 31, 2015
  5. bobkn Win User
    I don't understand what you ask.

The .iso can be used to make a bootable DVD disk. (I'd recommend creating a bootable USB thumb drive instead. An install from it is much faster than from a DVD.)

If you burned a copy of the .iso to disk, it's not of much use. The iso is a digital image of the disk you want, and you need to create that disk.

For just running the upgrade, you can mount the iso. You don't need a disk or thumb drive.

You don't need a key to upgrade an activated copy of Windows 8.1. You also won't receive a Win 10 key with the free upgrade. Once you've run the upgrade once, you can clean install and activate Win 10 anytime, but only on the same hardware.

bobkn, Jul 31, 2015
  6. p5200 Win User
    I'm just wanting to make sure, that if I were to upgrade motherboards etc. I won't be having activation problems if I have to do a clean installation. Thanks! *Smile

p5200, Aug 1, 2015
  7. Akane Win User
    If you upgrade your mother board your activation of windows 10 will lost *Smile

Akane, Aug 1, 2015
  8. p5200 Win User

That's what I thought I think I will wait til newegg gets their retail discs in and order one of them. Thanks! *Smile

p5200, Aug 1, 2015
  9. John035 Win User
    Hardware change is usually seen as a new PC.

John035, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. windows 10 home premium retail version key required? - Similar Threads - home premium retail

2. Install Windows 11 with Windows Home 10 Retail key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Install Windows 11 with Windows Home 10 Retail key?: Hi!I will receive a new computer tomorrow. The PC is a self-build so the install will be a totally clean install.Can I Install Windows 11 with Windows Home 10 Retail key? My Win10 Home key is an original key from Microsoft.Thank You!...
  3. Install Windows 11 with Windows Home 10 Retail key?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Install Windows 11 with Windows Home 10 Retail key?: Hi!I will receive a new computer tomorrow. The PC is a self-build so the install will be a totally clean install.Can I Install Windows 11 with Windows Home 10 Retail key? My Win10 Home key is an original key from Microsoft.Thank You!...
  4. what version of windows 7 is home premium sp1

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what version of windows 7 is home premium sp1: what version of windows7 is home premium sp1 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-version-of-windows-7-is-home-premium-sp1/cbcb64bc-dd38-4587-aed9-86730f022306
  5. what version of windows 7 is home premium sp1

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    what version of windows 7 is home premium sp1: what version of windows7 is home premium sp1 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-version-of-windows-7-is-home-premium-sp1/cbcb64bc-dd38-4587-aed9-86730f022306
  6. Upgrading Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 to Windows 10 Home Premium

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 to Windows 10 Home Premium: I've been trying to update an HP Pavilion Slimline computer from the Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 to Windows 10 Home Premium. The computer hardware exceeds all of the requirements for Windows 10. I thought it would be straight forward. P.S. I have 40 years of technology...
  7. Windows 10 Home Basic or Home Premium?

Windows 10 Home Basic or Home Premium?: How do I know if I am running Windows 10 Home Basic or Home Premium? The Edition under Windows Specification just says Windows Home. It does not specify Basic or Premium. How do I know which one it is? I need to know because of a memory upgrade question. RAM limits for Home...
  8. Windows 10 Retail Version

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Retail Version: Can I Install Windows 10 Retail Version(Purchased) in multiple PC at a time? If so, how many times can I do that and how to install that product to another laptop with the same product key?...
  9. Licence questions about home premium retail version

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Licence questions about home premium retail version: Hello I have windows 7 home premium , but apparently it is OEM, so cannot take to another machine or when I do a big upgrade. If I do the windows free upgrade to windows 10, it is still apparently tied to the computer. I was looking at buying windows 10 home premium...
  10. windows 10 retail version

windows 10 retail version: hi, please can some one help me i have a retail copy of windows 10 that i purchased at a pc store its still unopened . the question i have is its been on my shelf about a year, will i still be able to use it at some point? thank you, *Smile 94340