Windows 10: Windows 10 Home/Pro licence on the same PC

Discus and support Windows 10 Home/Pro licence on the same PC in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have just read this FAQ, it was quite helpful, but there is still something I have to ask. Solved Frequently Asked Questions about the Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TairikuOkami, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Windows 10 Home/Pro licence on the same PC

I have just read this FAQ, it was quite helpful, but there is still something I have to ask.

Solved Frequently Asked Questions about the Windows 10 Free upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

I have bought a new laptop with 8.1 Home preinstalled, when I upgrade it to 10, MS server will remember it.
    But I have 10 Pro, which I got upgrading from 8.1. So when I install 8.1 and upgrade it to 10, will it activate?
    Taking into an account, that there was 10 Home previously activated on the same hardware. Is it possible?

I would not want to loose Pro licence, so I would go straigth to install 8.1 and then upgrade.
    But in case, that the Pro licence is un-trasferable, I would also loose the home licence. *Think

:)

TairikuOkami, Apr 3, 2016

2. Will I be able to transfer my Windows 10 Pro license to another computer?

My upgrade path is as follows, and I'm trying to determine if I can transfer my Windows 10 Pro licence:

• Bought PC[1] with Windows 7 Home, and then purchased an upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro

during a promotion
    • Bought PC[2] with Windows 8.1 Home, and transferred the Windows 8.1 Pro to the new machine (rolling back PC[1] to the original Windows 7 Home licence)
    • Updated PC[2] to Windows 10 Pro this fall.
    • Bought PC[3] over Boxing day with Windows 10 Home.
    Can I now transfer the Pro licence from PC[2] to PC[3] (rolling back PC[2] to Windows 8.1 Home, and then upgrading to Windows 10 Home?

Bipedalmammal, Apr 3, 2016
  3. TedPlants Win User
    Windows 10 Clean Install - Simple Clarification(s)

Thanks, that answers most of my questions. So, one last one to wrap up my questions into my actual scenario:

Let's say I want to ensure I get my free upgrade for my Windows 8 Pro N Retail licence because I want to use it on a
    2nd new PC that I will only be purchasing some time
    after July. In order to do this, before July 2016 I decide to install Windows 10 Pro N on the (first) brand new PC using the Windows 8 Pro N Retail
    licence key and I successfully activate it using your simple wiki guide. I then wipe that (first) PC, and I now install Windows 10 Home on it using a Windows 10 Home licence I have bought. Some time
    after July 2016, the hardware for my (second) new PC arrives and I now install Windows 10 Pro N on it and attempt to use my Windows 8 Pro N licence key once again. Assuming I call up Microsoft (or use
    chat support) and tell them I have changed hardware, will it work i.e. Will I be able to activate both the Windows 10 Home installation on the first PC (before July) and Windows 10 Pro N on the second PC (after July, but having previously activated that licence
    before July on different hardware)?

TedPlants, Apr 3, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Windows 10 Home/Pro licence on the same PC

The short answer is, yes you can have a digital entitlement for both Home and Pro on the same computer. The computer I am posting with right now has digital entitlements to both. I've dual booted Home and Pro on it.

NavyLCDR, Apr 3, 2016
  5. For the record, the laptop has an inbuilt Pro licence as well, so the problem solved itself. *Wink
    In other words I have Pro OEM and I have Pro retail, which I can no use on other computer later.

TairikuOkami, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Home/Pro licence on the same PC

1. Windows 10 Home/Pro licence on the same PC - Similar Threads - Home Pro licence

2. Windows 10 Home 1-PC, lifetime licence

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Home 1-PC, lifetime licence: Hi. I bought Windows 10 Home from the ComputerActive Store which includes a 1-PC, lifetime licence and was told that I would be able to move this copy to a new computer I would be building in the near futere. I have now built the new one and installed Windows 10 on that but...
  3. Windows 10 Home 1-PC, lifetime licence

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Home 1-PC, lifetime licence: Hi. I bought Windows 10 Home from the ComputerActive Store which includes a 1-PC, lifetime licence and was told that I would be able to move this copy to a new computer I would be building in the near futere. I have now built the new one and installed Windows 10 on that but...
  4. Windows 10 Home 1-PC, lifetime licence

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Buying Upgrade Licences - Windows 10 home to Pro

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Buying Upgrade Licences - Windows 10 home to Pro: Hey all... I've 15 new Laptops with Windows 10 Home. I want to upgrade them to Windows 10 Pro (small office environment.. I need Bitlocker). I can do it (buy) via the Activation upgrade option, but it wants to link to a Microsoft account. How can I get official genuine...
  6. Transfer Win 10 Pro Licence to a new Win 10 Home PC

Transfer Win 10 Pro Licence to a new Win 10 Home PC: I bought a Laptop with Win 7 in July 2012. In January, 2013, I bought a Win 8 Pro licence through the promotion that was running at the time. I have since update the original Win 7 PC, to Win 8 Pro, to Win 10 Pro and it now is running Win 10 update 1903. I bought a new...
  7. Windows 10 Pro purchased but reinstalls only home. No licence key or digital licence.

Windows 10 Pro purchased but reinstalls only home. No licence key or digital licence.: I bought Windows 10 Pro 2 years ago and at the time on that computer it worked as an in-situ upgrade without issues. Ive since had to change computers and reinstall and it doesn't seem to exist any more. The windows install is the OEM supplied Win10 home. When i attempt...
  8. Windows 10 Pro licence on same hardware

Windows 10 Pro licence on same hardware: I have an ASUS S400CA notebook PC that I am very happy with. It originally came with Windows 8 pre installed and I was eligible for a free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Microsoft when Windows 10 was released. Now I have upgraded the HDD to an SSD and doubled the RAM and,...
  9. Windows 10 Pro downgrade to Windows 10 Home....How to and Licence

Windows 10 Pro downgrade to Windows 10 Home....How to and Licence: I want to change from windows 10 pro to windows 10 home edition, can you help please ? Can you issue licence for windows 10 home to replace my windows 10 pro licence ?...
  10. upgrading to windows 10 home to windows 10 pro with digital licence

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrading to windows 10 home to windows 10 pro with digital licence: hey hi, i have purchased a acer nitro 5 laptop from us which has a pre installed windows 10 home operating system i have done a fresh clean install of windows again ,and got back my licence from digital license and my question is can i upgrade to windows 10 pro with...