Windows 10: Windows 10 Home - Search Function in the task bar

Discus and support Windows 10 Home - Search Function in the task bar in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I just did the upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10 - overall pretty seamless given what could have gone wrong- I was lucky this time. Some minor annoyances... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mediaman09, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Windows 10 Home - Search Function in the task bar

I just did the upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10 - overall pretty seamless given what could have gone wrong- I was lucky this time. Some minor annoyances , but overall pretty good.

On the task bar search, about an hour ago, I know it was searching the web as I typed in a web address and it took me there....but now, suddenly, its only searching my local machine. I must have inadvertently changed something. that affected this. Where is the setting to get it back to the way it was so I can search the web?.

I know did change my default Edge search engine from Bing to Google...would that have affected the task bar search function?

I also turned Cortana off - did that affect it??

Many thanks.

:)

mediaman09, Jul 29, 2015
  2. 7777Mike Win User

Search function in Windows 10 - return to default?

Yes, understood re: searching in FE

My issue is with the Windows 10 search function from the task bar...some call it Cortana, specifically the filters function.

7777Mike, Jul 29, 2015
  3. DWS651 Win User
    Start menu and Search bar are not responding.

Original Title: task bar icons

The Windows icon and the Search icon on my task bar are not responding to a left click. They suddenly failed to function as usual. I am at a loss as to get them back to their previous function. I have Windows 10 on an HP pavilion laptop.

DWS651, Jul 29, 2015
  4. Windows 10 Home - Search Function in the task bar

Ahhh figured it out. In order to search the web from the task bar, Microsoft forces you to 1) use Bing 2) turn Cortana on and 3 ) agree to some interesting terms on its collection of personal data. I think I'll pass on all that for now.

mediaman09, Jul 29, 2015
Thema:

Windows 10 Home - Search Function in the task bar

1. Windows 10 Home - Search Function in the task bar - Similar Threads - Home Search Function

2. The search bar on Windows is not functioning

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The search bar on Windows is not functioning: I accidentally used a batch file and it changed the values of the registry. When I try to type into the search boxes on Windows, it doesn't allow me to type. I have found some keys that have been modified.Key: reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search"...
  3. The search bar on Windows is not functioning

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The search bar on Windows is not functioning: I accidentally used a batch file and it changed the values of the registry. When I try to type into the search boxes on Windows, it doesn't allow me to type. I have found some keys that have been modified.Key: reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search"...
  4. The search bar on Windows is not functioning

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Search bar in task bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search bar in task bar: Can someone PLEASE tell me where I can find the option to deactivate suggestions and activate recent open things, I know it's somewhere because I activated it in the past, but after a recent format I can't find it anymore and I am going nuts! : :...
  6. Search bar in task bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search bar in task bar: Can someone PLEASE tell me where I can find the option to deactivate suggestions and activate recent open things, I know it's somewhere because I activated it in the past, but after a recent format I can't find it anymore and I am going nuts! : :...
  7. Search bar is not functioning.

in Cortana
    Search bar is not functioning.: Hello!Today I started up my computer with my search bar not working. I would click on it and it would disappear after a couple of seconds. I usually can't type in it and I have tried many fixes such as ending search in task manager, using powershell, restarting explorer,...
  8. Windows 10 - Start bar and task bar and search function affected

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 - Start bar and task bar and search function affected: Problem: The taskbar including the Windows symbol and the start menu as well as the search function via the explorer are no longer accessible - the load symbol is always displayed about 2.3 seconds and nothing happens. Previous actions: Before the problem occurred, I...
  9. Windows 10 Home - Task Bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Home - Task Bar: 1 Can I add labels to the Task Bar icons? 2 How do I make the Task Bar icons larger in size? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-home-task-bar/07661c35-3c1e-497c-a24f-49c799c27e83
  10. Search bar not functioning

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search bar not functioning: I've had an issue lately with the windows search bar not functioning correctly, I have no idea what caused this and don't recall doing anything that could be damaging to the os. https://i.imgur.com/5aTll3L.png submitted by /u/RANDOM_IMPLOSIONS [link] [comments]...