Windows 10: Windows 10 home vs pro

Discus and support Windows 10 home vs pro in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This question has probably already been asked a few times, but do i really need windows 10 pro? I use my computer for gaming and browsing the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Cerawy, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Cerawy Win User

Windows 10 home vs pro

This question has probably already been asked a few times, but do i really need windows 10 pro?

I use my computer for gaming and browsing the internet, and looking at some of the features from the professional version, i dont really see the need for any one them.

Compare Windows 10 Editions Windows 10 Tutorials

:)

Cerawy, Mar 16, 2018
  2. TomWitte Win User

Live mail tile won't work

I'm having the same issue with Calendar and Mail live tiles on a Surface Pro 3 I bought a week ago (it came with Windows 10 Pro pre-installed). The Calendar and Mail live tiles do not show or update with any information even though they are enabled.

Oddly, I just updated an old Samsung laptop to Windows 10 Home a couple days ago (from W7 Home) and all live tiles are working fine on that device. Home vs. Pro thing? Pre-installed vs. update thing? Both? Other? I dunno.

TomWitte, Mar 16, 2018
  3. Offline files in Win10?

Back to the original question:

Are Offline Files still supported in Windows 10, and if so, by which version (Home vs. Pro)?

I am using Home and is it possible that Offline Files is not supported unless you have Pro?

In the past I used SyncToy 2.1 but I now have challenges loading this at Windows 10 Home.

RonEichenberger, Mar 16, 2018
  4. Windows 10 home vs pro

I wouldn't say so. Most of the professional features people don't use. However, on Amazon the difference is $3. *chuckle

Masterchiefxx17, Mar 16, 2018
  5. AS185 Win User
    I would stick with Home edition. I also use my operating system for gaming, browsing the internet and listening to music mainly *Smile

AS185, Mar 16, 2018
  6. cereberus Win User
    It all comes down to needs and use.

Home as obvious is primarily for use in a Home environment where you do not need the features. In a working environment, bitlocker, hyperv etc are much more important.

Many prefer PRO even if they do not use advanced features simply because you have more control over the OS including update deferral.

cereberus, Mar 16, 2018
  7. Cerawy Win User
    Browsing through the difference in features, the only thing i can think of that might potentially be useful is the group policy.

What do you mean with update deferral?

Cerawy, Mar 16, 2018
  8. cereberus Win User

Windows 10 home vs pro

Even GPE is not that crucial as it is basically just an easier way to manage registry changes.

With PRO, you can defer feature updates for up to 365 days, and security for 30 days (might be 35 - cannot remember of top of my head).

One feature I use a lot is rdp but then again you can use 3rd party tools.

You can use 3rd party equivalents for most of the main features, but you still do not have the more precise control over the OS.

On the end, if you buy Home, but later decide you want PRO, you can upgrade, only paying the difference anyway.

cereberus, Mar 16, 2018
  9. Cerawy Win User
    Well, i cant really think of any changes in group policy that helped me, but im not going to rule out that some of them may be helpful, that's the only thing bugging me from buying the home version.

Cerawy, Mar 16, 2018
  10. Pro is nothing compared to what it used to be, MS is degrading it to Home with an each upgrade. Home vs Enterprise would make a sense, but Pro is just Home with Pro name, 99% policies can be done as well, just manually. As for a few missing features, they can be easily installed or replaced with 3rd party software.

I have both, but I have installed Home on purpose to see, what can be done with it. *Smile

TairikuOkami, Mar 16, 2018
  11. Bree New Member
    The group policy editor to be precise. What it does is to safely apply/modify registry settings working from a template. But (bar a few that Home is specifically coded to ignore) if you use Regedit you can apply the same changes manually. They work in Home the same as in Pro. Brink's tutorials often include a registry settings option alongside the group policy method.

In Pro you can defer both the Quality Updates (the monthly cumulatives) and the Features Updates (the upgrade to the latest Windows). For Features Updates you can choose to be on the slower release channel, the upgrade is delayed until it's considered ready for business use. There's also an additional delay you can set for up to 365 days. More details in the tutorial...

Windows Update - Defer Feature and Quality Updates in Windows 10

I have Home on my main machine. The only Pro feature I hanker after is Hyper-V. For your intended use Home should suit your needs. For Gaming there is one Pro feature that may be relevant, the ability to control whether or not driver updates are included in windows update (I'm thinking of the video driver in particular). But this is another case where Brink gives the registry option as well as the group policy one. See...

Enable or Disable Driver Updates in Windows Update in Windows 10

12. Cerawy Win User
    What 3rd party software are you talking about?

@Bree okay thanks for clarifying, its a bit silly to have pro installed just because of the group policy, if you can make most of the changes regardless. I'm going to install windows home instead.

Cerawy, Mar 16, 2018
  13. Bree New Member

Windows 10 home vs pro

One could be the remote desktop. Home can only connect to other PCs, only Pro and above allows other PCs to connect to it.

Enable or Disable Remote Desktop Connections to Windows 10 PC

As others have pointed out Home can easily be upgraded to Pro later, should you need it.

14. Cerawy Win User
    Cerawy, Mar 16, 2018
  15. Callender Win User
    Callender, Mar 16, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 home vs pro

1. Windows 10 home vs pro - Similar Threads - home pro

2. Windows 11 home or pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 home or pro: I know the Pro version is supposed to be for businesses but should non-business consumers buy it? I am thinking of buying a new computer Lenovo 2023 IdeaCentre 3 Premium All-in-One Business Desktop, 27" FHD Touchscreen Display, Intel Core i7-13620H, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Webcam,...
  3. Windows 11 home or pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 home or pro: I know the Pro version is supposed to be for businesses but should non-business consumers buy it? I am thinking of buying a new computer Lenovo 2023 IdeaCentre 3 Premium All-in-One Business Desktop, 27" FHD Touchscreen Display, Intel Core i7-13620H, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Webcam,...
  4. Sir i got pirated window 11 pro but i had before win 11 home genuine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sir i got pirated window 11 pro but i had before win 11 home genuine: sir i my problem blue screen where my pc cannot re start it self then i went to the shop where i told him the problem then he installed win 11 pro . But it is cracked. My previous win was genuine win 11 Home . So can i get my genuine one back if i downgrade this to win 11...
  5. Sir i got pirated window 11 pro but i had before win 11 home genuine

Sir i got pirated window 11 pro but i had before win 11 home genuine: sir i my problem blue screen where my pc cannot re start it self then i went to the shop where i told him the problem then he installed win 11 pro . But it is cracked. My previous win was genuine win 11 Home . So can i get my genuine one back if i downgrade this to win 11...
  6. Upgrade from Windows11 home to Windows 11 Pro Failed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade from Windows11 home to Windows 11 Pro Failed.: I bought an Acer Aspire Evro 16 with Windows 11 Home pre installed.I have paid £119.99 to Microsoft store, order number 3548372093, to upgrade to Windows 11 Pro. When I tried to perform the upgrade it produced the error 0x80070490. Where do I go to resolve this situation?...
  7. Upgrade from Windows11 home to Windows 11 Pro Failed.

Upgrade from Windows11 home to Windows 11 Pro Failed.: I bought an Acer Aspire Evro 16 with Windows 11 Home pre installed.I have paid £119.99 to Microsoft store, order number 3548372093, to upgrade to Windows 11 Pro. When I tried to perform the upgrade it produced the error 0x80070490. Where do I go to resolve this situation?...
  8. use owned retail pro license on device with oem home license

in Windows 10 Gaming
    use owned retail pro license on device with oem home license: I try to transfer my windows 10 PRO RETAIL license to new laptop with no luck.the problem:I have old laptop with activated windows 10 PRO digital license - when checking lsmgr it claims that is RETAIL license and I have now new laptop which comes with windows 11 HOME OEM...
  9. use owned retail pro license on device with oem home license

use owned retail pro license on device with oem home license: I try to transfer my windows 10 PRO RETAIL license to new laptop with no luck.the problem:I have old laptop with activated windows 10 PRO digital license - when checking lsmgr it claims that is RETAIL license and I have now new laptop which comes with windows 11 HOME OEM...
  10. Win11 Home is installed, A Win11 Pro DVD is bought, I do not have a DVD rom, how can I do...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win11 Home is installed, A Win11 Pro DVD is bought, I do not have a DVD rom, how can I do...: Win11 Home is installed, A Win11 Pro DVD is bought, I do not have a DVD rom, how can I do the upgrade? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win11-home-is-installed-a-win11-pro-dvd-is-bought/8f7a385f-83b3-46de-86a7-92aa653fb2d0