Windows 10: Windows 10 Home > Windows 7 Pro > Windows 10 Pro

Discus and support Windows 10 Home > Windows 7 Pro > Windows 10 Pro in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Why would they do that? It wouldn't make any sense. After the free upgrade, people will still be doing clean installs. Windows 10 install should still... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ldoodle, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Windows 10 Home > Windows 7 Pro > Windows 10 Pro

Maybe, I think they'll just stop reading 8 keys. Then you get the selection menu, pick your correct version, install with skip key, and activate with your digital entitlement. Just like 10240 ISO did. We'll just have to wait and see what they do. I find the auto reading the 8 keys with no choice in the matter a bit of an inconvenience, to be honest.

alphanumeric, Dec 1, 2015
  2. NavyLCDR New Member

Microsoft isn't catering to computer literate people. Microsoft is catering to those that just want to push the power button and let everything happen automatically for them. And heck, how many threads have you read already on here saying, "Why can't I activate my Windows 10?!?!" and it is because they installed the wrong version - IE: Pro vs. Home, Single Language or N?

NavyLCDR, Dec 1, 2015
  3. Totally agree, for the average Joe it simplifies things. All I'm saying is there is a flip side to that, where it actually complicates things. There are some who were running 10 Pro 10240. Then did a clean install of 10586 and got Home with no say in the matter and no option to select Pro. People are always going to be snagged by the SL edition. The regular Windows 10 ISO won't read those keys. You have to know up front you have a SL key and use the SL ISO for the embedded key to be used. Anyway, it will be interesting to see what they do when the free offer expires. Even then, there won't be anything stopping you from using what ever ISO was last released before that date, and before anything was changed.

4. ldoodle Win User

Windows 10 Home > Windows 7 Pro > Windows 10 Pro

It works. I again clean installed Windows 7, then in-place upgraded to Windows 10 (which forced Home Edition). I then provided the generic 10 Pro key which enabled Pro features, but did not activate. I then provided my 7 Pro key which activated Windows properly.

I added the PID.txt file to the (USB) installation media which had the generic 10 Pro key, clean installed 10 using the newest MCT, and it installed and activated 10 Pro.

Nice.

ldoodle, Dec 1, 2015
  5. ldoodle Win User
    I don't know if that's how it's supposed to work, but it doesn't (not with a pre-installed embedded BIOS key anyway).

ldoodle, Dec 1, 2015
  6. ldoodle Win User
    As much as I want to agree with this, I think it would confuse non-IT savvy people. Getting prompted for something they know nothing about won't go down well.

I think the current method of adding a PID.txt file is probably better.

ldoodle, Dec 1, 2015
  7. ldoodle Win User
    What would be better is if they developed a generic network driver that would always work (even with future hardware) during the install phase, so it could check digital entitlement before choosing the version to install.

I appreciate that would involve work from NIC vendors, but wouldn't be rocket science, as it would only need basic features, and maybe even only talkable to MS activation servers.

ldoodle, Dec 1, 2015
  8. Windows 10 Home > Windows 7 Pro > Windows 10 Pro

If you just run setup.exe on the ISO "from" within your currently installed Windows, it should upgrade depending on what version your upgrading from, not based on the embedded key? Are you saying it doesn't if you install that way? Just want to confirm. If you boot from your install media BIOS key takes precedent, as far as I know. My hard drive was blank so there was no OS to be detected at all.

9. Yeah, either way it going to confuse some. It will be interesting to see what changes after July 2016 though.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Home > Windows 7 Pro > Windows 10 Pro

1. Windows 10 Home > Windows 7 Pro > Windows 10 Pro - Similar Threads - Home Pro Pro

2. Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Home: I am having trouble installing Windows 10 Home upgrading from Windows 7 Pro. Wondering if I purchased the wrong product. Can I exchange it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-7-pro-to-windows-10-home/4f4281ba-c29e-43c1-bf5e-0e778b16351d
  3. Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Home: I am having trouble installing Windows 10 Home upgrading from Windows 7 Pro. Wondering if I purchased the wrong product. Can I exchange it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-7-pro-to-windows-10-home/4f4281ba-c29e-43c1-bf5e-0e778b16351d
  4. From Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    From Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 Pro: Hi. I bought Windows 10 Pro license. I followed instructions to Upgrade. In the list of options I do not see Win10 Pro, but I see Win10 Home. Should I 1st get Home and then upgrade to Pro? Will my new license work for Home, so I can upgrade later to Pro? How do I get the full...
  5. upgrade windows 7 pro to windows 10 pro on windows 10 Home pc ?

upgrade windows 7 pro to windows 10 pro on windows 10 Home pc ?: Win7 to win10 upgrades are still free right now. if you buy a laptop that comes with w10home with an embedded key uefi then you reformat and transfer a win7pro license/install, upgrade to win10pro for free will win10pro get activated? or will it try to read the embedded...
  6. Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro

Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro: Do I need to have an IT professional on site to make the transition from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-7-pro-to-windows-10-pro/d7e82d4b-0ac6-4fb5-afd7-b5bbb133a7d7
  7. Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 pro

Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 pro: I have 8 PC's / laptops which need to be upgraded from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. Is there a specific Windows 10 Pro I need to purchase for the upgrade. There are numerous cost variances across online resellers. Will they all work or do I need specifics?? The cost...
  8. Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro - Using Windows 7 Pro Key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro - Using Windows 7 Pro Key: I bought this new Dell laptop that came with Windows 10 home pre-installed. I have an old Windows 7 pro key(currently not used on any other machine) that I would like to use to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. I get following error message: The last product key (ID: some number...
  9. Windows 7 pro became Windows 10 Home

Windows 7 pro became Windows 10 Home: I just became aware that The upgrade of my windows 7 pro to windows 10 home was not the expected transition. This happened during the massive transition. Is it too late? Was this planned? Do I just accept this?...
  10. Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Home

Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Home: Hi guys, Bit of a strange one this. I had Windows 7 Pro installed previously (still have the disk, key, and CoA), I upgraded to Pro a few days ago and only got windows 10 Home edition. Has anybody encountered this or would have an idea as to how to fix? Thanks for...