Windows 10: Windows 10 Homegroup Not Working

Discus and support Windows 10 Homegroup Not Working in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have read through many of the posts and there does not seem to one that has a solution that works for me. 2 laptops connected wirelessly. One... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by dangerruss, May 17, 2016.

1. Windows 10 Homegroup Not Working

I have read through many of the posts and there does not seem to one that has a solution that works for me.
    2 laptops connected wirelessly. One desktop computer connected via wired Ethernet. All computers are in the same workgroup. All computers can see each other on the network. McAfee shows all computers trusting each other.

I am asked to join and existing homegroup even though no computer is part of a homegroup at this point. So, I try to join the homegroup entering a password. Eventually the computer times out and reports a homegroup no longer exist and to create a new homegroup. When I select continue, I get the same prompt again to join a home group.

I have deleted the store files. I have checked all the recommended services. It was so much simpler when all you had to do was be a member of the same workgroup and then share what you wanted to share. I have gone in and select properties on folders I want to share on all computers, selected advanced, share with everyone. All computers can see these individual folders on the network, but cannot access the files in the folder. No permission ... check with your network administrator.

I did not have this issue when all computers were configured with Windows 7.

This Windows HomeGroup is a piece of junk...

anyone have any ideas what I need to try next?

Thanks in advance.
    Russ*Sad

:)

dangerruss, May 17, 2016
  2. MarkLaru Win User

Windows 10 upgrade corrupted my Home Group

This did not work. I have set these all to Automatic but I can still NOT leave or delete the corrupted HomeGroup. When I enter the password for the HomeGroup I get the following message:

Windows no longer detects a HomeGroup on this Network, To create a new HomeGroup click "OK" and then open HomeGroup in the Control Panel"

When you do this you CANNOT CREATE or LEAVE the HomeGroup. The windows say Windows has detected a HomeGroup.

Windows 10 corrupted the HomeGRoup so you are in a never ending circle.

How do you DELETE or LEAVE a HomeGroup in Windows 10.

MarkLaru, May 17, 2016
  3. JohnSykas Win User
    Scripted Diagnostics Native Host Has Stopped Working while running Homegroup Troubleshooter

This former Windows 7 Ultimate machine has issued the Homegroup for all my other machines, but it can not join it's own Homegroup. It says homegroup available but when I try to join it says no homegroup is available.

So I run the troubleshooter and I get Scripted Diagnostics Native Host Has Stopped Working with ERROR 0x800706BE

The Homegroup worked fine in Windows 7, but both the homegrup and homegroup troubleshooter do nto work in Windows 10. I also can not get any new machines to ion the existing Homegroup.

JohnSykas, May 17, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Windows 10 Homegroup Not Working

Homegroup has had issues with Windows 10 for a long time. You have to make sure that you have the "Missing Protocol" problem fixed and just use standard Network shares. Homegroup was intended as a way for users to only share their libraries with those that they wanted. Basically a cheap way of doing a home server for the consumer. The majority of us do not use Home Group, because of the issues with it.

bro67, May 17, 2016
  5. Can you be more specific on this missing protocol? IPv6 is fully functional. Thanks.

dangerruss, May 17, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    If you do a Search for "Missing Protocol" on here, it goes into the service that has to be restarted to fix it.

Microsoft disabled Guest browing in SMB/CIFS. So it ends up breaking any type of file sharing.

bro67, May 18, 2016
  7. I do not get any errors about missing protocols as others have showed in their posts. I can see computers on the network. I can see the folders I have shared on each computer. I get a permissions error.
    Windows 10 Homegroup Not Working [​IMG]

dangerruss, May 18, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

Can you ping them in thr Command Window? Can you see the shares when you do: net share

Try Farbar's Service Scanner and Mini Toolbox to see if they can fix the problem.

bro67, May 18, 2016
  9. I have abandon making homegroup work as you suggested. I am able to ping all machines from each. I can see all the folders I want to share on each machine from each machine. I just could not access the files inside the folders. I changed the properties on the folders I wanted to share and added the user "everyone" with full access. I am not sure I like that. I may go back and just create an account on each machine that would do the same thing for each user in my family network. thanks for your help. Russ

dangerruss, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Homegroup Not Working - Similar Threads - Homegroup Working

2. Please which clever *&^%$£!£&! removed HomeGroup from Windows 10? It worked and was easy to...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Please which clever *&^%$£!£&! removed HomeGroup from Windows 10? It worked and was easy to...: Please which clever *&^%$£!£&! removed HomeGroup from Windows 10? It worked and was easy to set up. Why can't they leave things alone? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/please-which-clever-removed-homegroup-from-windows/ac586533-2cc7-4dad-ba7b-6d2987cc2241
  3. Please which clever *&^%$£!£&! removed HomeGroup from Windows 10? It worked and was easy to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Please which clever *&^%$£!£&! removed HomeGroup from Windows 10? It worked and was easy to...: Please which clever *&^%$£!£&! removed HomeGroup from Windows 10? It worked and was easy to set up. Why can't they leave things alone? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/please-which-clever-removed-homegroup-from-windows/ac586533-2cc7-4dad-ba7b-6d2987cc2241
  4. Please which clever *&^%$£!£&! removed HomeGroup from Windows 10? It worked and was easy to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Homegroup stopped working

Homegroup stopped working: When I reinstalled Windows 10 on one desktop computer it no longer has homegroup functionality to enable connection with my other 3 computers and network printers. The updated computer cannot see the Homegroup network. All computers have internet access but not to my local...
  6. work around for removal of homegroup

work around for removal of homegroup: work around for removal of homegroup sharing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/work-around-for-removal-of-homegroup/215a2570-2ae5-4583-91a7-398c8ce0a994
  7. Networking and Homegroups no longer working

Networking and Homegroups no longer working: It seems that over time networking keeps changing and what used to work no longer works. (This is for a home network of two Win 10 and one Win 7). At one point I had a homegroup setup, but I hadn't messed with it for a while and now I don't know the password anymore. I have...
  8. Windows 10 Homegroup Pictures Library "Working on it"

Windows 10 Homegroup Pictures Library "Working on it": I have two computers in a Homegroup. I have been able to share files with no issue between the two - except today I noticed that I get a "Working on it" message and File Explorer hangs when trying to pull up the Pictures library from one of the computers. The other libraries...
  9. I need a complete list of settings to make my Homegroup work.

I need a complete list of settings to make my Homegroup work.: I hope you don't get as confused as I am.... I have 3 win 10 computers, 1 HP 530-339 64 Bit, 1 Dell 530S 32 Bit and 1 Dell 560S 64 Bit. I need to let folks know I am a non-techie with an 85 year old slow brain. When I bought the 560 I tried to set up a Homegroup, I was...
  10. Homegroup is working but can't open folders

Homegroup is working but can't open folders: I have two desktop computers in a Homegroup, connected by a Netgear router. But my problem is that I can only open folders in one direction (from one PC to other is OK, reverse is not). PC #1 is Windows 10 Pro 1607 x64, using a Netgear Wi-Fi adapter. Disabled the firewall....