Windows 10: windows 10: how do i display mp3 file duration in file explorer?

Discus and support windows 10: how do i display mp3 file duration in file explorer? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; hello!*Smile (first, i'm a newbie re: win10, so i apologize if this question had already been posted, but i really don’t have time to look among the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by drnda42, May 2, 2017.

1. drnda42 Win User

windows 10: how do i display mp3 file duration in file explorer?

hello!*Smile

(first, i'm a newbie re: win10, so i apologize if this question had already been posted, but i really don’t have time to look among the host of previous questions!...)

i've selected in view -> details, checked both ‘duration’ and ‘length’, just in case, but all i got was a column with ‘length’/’duration’ at the top and nothing listed underneath. the same issue is with the ‘bit rate’ field!

i know these mp3s are fine as i've been using them on the same machine running windows 7 and columns ‘length’ and ‘bitrate’ showed data correctly!...

now running windows 10n on the same machine…
    thanks, dras

:)

drnda42, May 2, 2017
  2. RaySeaman Win User

How do I convert a wpl file to mp3 in windows 10 ?

How do I convert a wpl file to mp3?

RaySeaman, May 2, 2017
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    How do I convert a wpl file to mp3 in windows 10 ?

Let's ask our friend Google how to
    convert .wpl to .mp3

BulldogXX, May 2, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Welcome to TenForums @drnda42

'Length' is the correct column to choose, it shows the correct times for my mp3s.

Could it be something about the mp3 files that's non-standard? In File Explorer right-click on one and select 'Properties'. Does the correct length show on the 'Details' tab?

Bree, May 2, 2017
  5. philc43 Win User
    Hello and welcome to TenForums *Smile

Firstly, can you confirm that the data is still in the detailed properties of the mp3 file. Right click on an mp3 file, select properties and see if the data is there in the details tab. if it is it should show up using the method you have tried to add columns of data to the detailed view. You can also select a details pane to show to the right of the file list.

philc43, May 2, 2017
  6. drnda42 Win User
    oh, thanx for the quick response!... ;-}

i looked at the right-click method immediately, but what puzzles me - there's no 'length' mentioned in the 'details' tab!...
    (and it was present in win 7's 'details' and it worked perfectly !)
    and 'mediainfo' finds the length!...

(and tnx for welcome!) *Smile

drnda42, May 2, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    windows 10: how do i display mp3 file duration in file explorer? [​IMG]

(That is Win 10)

However, I have installed something called File metadata
    File Metadata - Home
    which does expand this data - can't recall exactly what, but it does a lot, including allowing editing in fields in the Details pane

dalchina, May 2, 2017
  8. drnda42 Win User

well, i'm lucky that i have hands on on two twin- pcs! (so my migration towards win10 is gradual... )

my i7 still runs win7 and shows:

whereas the other one (amd a8 btw) already serves as an experiment rabbit and runs win 10! and it shows for the same file:

maybe i should switch on certain system feature?
    or... hm... just occurred to me... ... does windows read such data or computes them?

anyway, thanx dalchina to you too, will try this program! does it help somehow windows?
    bye, dras

drnda42, May 2, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    Hi, as you can see from my Win 10 screenshots- those details are back.

I've added a couple of utilities related to tags etc; I'm fairly sure the very interesting File Metadata is the one of interest here. You can read about how MS has approached this on that site. It also supports Comments (one of the possible columns in file explorer)

As a Win 7 user, you will like Classic Shell start menu- combines the best features of XP style expanding menus with Win 7- highly configurable in appearance and search - no tiles though. Note the Orb.

dalchina, May 2, 2017
  10. drnda42 Win User
    just studying it... looks cool!
    but i don't understand...
    hmmm no mp3?...

or do i seek in the wrong place?...

drnda42, May 2, 2017
  11. philc43 Win User
    All the music file details such as length and bit rate show up in my standard W10 file explorer for my mp3 files.

I am wondering if it depends upon the folder type that the files reside in. Could you move your mp3 file to the W10 Music folder and see if it causes the details to show up.

philc43, May 2, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    Try its File Association Manager in the start menu.

(My mp3's are not in the default folder).

And here's Mediatab for interest (added property sheet) - another utility

dalchina, May 2, 2017
  13. drnda42 Win User

well, the standard 'music' folder didn't have the 'length' column at all! i had to add it manually!...

hmmm maybe it's a win 10n edition problem?...

drnda42, May 2, 2017
  14. dalchina New Member
    Oh.. I did say I used more than one utility. Actually I think the one that gives those details in properties is Icaros.

When I deactivate that I get what you see:

dalchina, May 2, 2017
  15. Bree New Member
    Look at the owner in your second screenshot. The long number starting S-1-5-21... indicates the owner is an unknown account to Windows 10 (it is in fact an account on your other PC). Ownership and permissions may be preventing your Windows 10 PC reading the full details. On the W10 PC, try taking a copy of this file and see if you can read more details in the copy (taking ownership, if necessary)

Thema:

1. windows 10: how do i display mp3 file duration in file explorer? - Similar Threads - display mp3 file

2. how do I fix my .mp3 files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do I fix my .mp3 files?: i don't know what happened but whenever i download a .mp3 file, the icon turns blank and I can't even play it the only thing I can do is open it in notepad! please help me...
  3. how do I fix my .mp3 files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do I fix my .mp3 files?: i don't know what happened but whenever i download a .mp3 file, the icon turns blank and I can't even play it the only thing I can do is open it in notepad! please help me...
  4. how do I get the original file date to display in file explorer?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how do I get the original file date to display in file explorer?: under my Win 10 version of File Explorer, the Modified Date appears as the time column. How can I change this to the date the file was created?...
  5. how do i convert a wpl file to mp3 in windows 10

how do i convert a wpl file to mp3 in windows 10: how do i convert a wpl file to mp3 in windows 10 to add to video editor? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-convert-a-wpl-file-to-mp3-in-windows-10/a4850fa6-5c1b-4051-945d-39defcf545d2
  6. mp3 file Crashing File explorer

mp3 file Crashing File explorer: Hello Couple weeks ago my mp3 files were fine I was hearing songs just fine. But then I let to repair my laptops keys and came back with the audio not working. Some how i fixed it and its fine. Later on I open groove music and suddenly it crashed im thinking that it maybe...
  7. Show only MP3 files in File Explorer

Show only MP3 files in File Explorer: Is there a way to make File Explorer only show MP3 files and not include all the album art. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/show-only-mp3-files-in-file-explorer/1c540234-e2e5-4560-ab97-43206658c134"
  8. File Explorer and MP3's

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer and MP3's: How do you get the artist visible on a single MP3? In other words, if I have a number of mp3's in a folder and I want the artist to be visible, the ribbon gives me the ability too show "Album artist", View>Add columns>Album artist, the MP3's in the folder are single, non...
  9. File Explorer displays MP3 details, NOT File Details. How to switch ?

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer displays MP3 details, NOT File Details. How to switch ?: Hello, In Windows 10 using the File Explorer, When I copy/create a new .MP3 file onto my computer it is displaying the .MP3 info. and not general file info. in the File Explorer. Example: It displays "Name, #, Title, Artist, Album" etc. It should be displaying......
  10. File Explorer is numbering MP3 files twice

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer is numbering MP3 files twice: I have a file of about 35 GB worth of mp3's on my computer, the list grows and changes as I buy and download new albums or remove an existing one from time to time. I copy the file to a 32 gb flash drive I use in my car and the files play like normal. However, there is now a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. display mp3

2. list mp3 duration on win 10