Windows 10: Windows 10 how to disable snap popup when you move a window

Discus and support Windows 10 how to disable snap popup when you move a window in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; [img] I've searched everywhere for help on this new feature in windows 10. If I grab a window to move it there is a popup overlay that appears near... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by metanoiachan, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Windows 10 how to disable snap popup when you move a window

Windows 10 how to disable snap popup when you move a window [​IMG]

I've searched everywhere for help on this new feature in windows 10. If I grab a window to move it there is a popup overlay that appears near where I've clicked which seems to intend to make it easy to snap to the sides of the monitor. Usually I don't want to snap a window I'm dragging to one of these areas and usually this popup is where I want to drag the window and is getting in the way and preventing me from positioning windows where I want.

I've attempted to turn off "snap" or "aerosnap" in the System>Multitasking area, however if I turn off snap completely it prevents the shortcut keys (windows/arrow keys) from working correctly which I use a lot. If I disable snap completely it still does not disable this overlay popup as per the image.

I don't want to disable snap. I want to disable the overlay. How can I do this?

:)

metanoiachan, Nov 23, 2015
  2. KDee## Win User

How to COMPLETELY disable windows automatically resizing & snaping: W10, W7

What kind of computer do you have? On my MSI, the problem wasn't actually with Windows. It turned out to be the Desk Partition feature in their True Color app.

I found the fix in a couple of places. (Thanks to these helpful folks!):

Windows 10: How to turn off this particular snap windows feature

Windows 10 how to disable snap popup when you move a window Solved - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums

I think I read somewhere that Dell machines have something similar. Hope this helps!

KDee##, Nov 23, 2015
  3. Vesanius Win User
    Neep Help to Disable Aero Snap Between Monitors Only on Windows 10

I know the shortcuts and I am using them constantly. But if I turn off the AeroSnap it also disables the keyboard shortcuts and if I keep it enabled then every window gets stuck when trying to move them from one monitor to another. So let us disable the
    snapping while keeping the keyboard shortcuts enabled. You did improve the snapping though as now it doesn't snap so fast and you can actually move windows between the monitors, but I would still prefer if the drag-and-snap could be disabled completely without
    disabling the keyboard shortcuts.

Vesanius, Nov 23, 2015
  4. Edwin New Member

Windows 10 how to disable snap popup when you move a window

@ metanoiachan:

Welcome to tenforums.com! *Smile

Try turning this setting off to see if it helps:

Edwin, Nov 23, 2015
  5. Hi Edwin. Thanks for the suggestion, but that made no difference. *Sad

6. Ztruker Win User
  7. Again, this doesn't address the overlay that appears when dragging windows.

I have tried both with snap off and on. I have restarted my computer between changing these settings incase something needed to take effect before the overlay would turn off. None of the snap settings effect the overlay.

I've got a couple more screenshots.
    First a screenshot of my Multitasking settings as they are now (note that I said I do use keyboard shortcuts to snap and move windows and still want to be able to do this. I had to turn snap back on to allow keyboard shortcuts to work.

Second a screenshot of this annoying overlay again. It pops up even if it is a dialog box inside a program - for example here is Photoshop and I'm moving a dialog box as if this was a real example when I'm using the program. Another example is the "find" dialog inside my text editor. Nearly every time I move it the overlay popup is in my way and suddenly my dialog box is transported somewhere else or I'm fighting to get the overlay to move so I can put my dialog box where I actually want it.

So it is not aerosnap that I have an issue with per se... it is this overlay. I have tried every setting for snap I can google or think of and none of them had any effect on this overlay, even when snap was completely off. There is surely a way to disable the popup but still keep the functions of snap working for keyboard shortcuts (windows/arrows) like it worked in previous versions of windows?!

8. Windows 10 how to disable snap popup when you move a window

I've never seen that overlay when I snap windows, instead i get a screen that asks if I want to select window to snap the other side. I would first look at third party apps.

logicearth, Nov 23, 2015
  9. Resolved. This is caused by Dell PremierColor.

Thanks for the tip logicearth. I figured it was a Windows10 "feature" and was hunting in the wrong places.

10. lindstrom Win User
    THANK YOU SO MUCH! This has been driving me absolutely crazy for a couple of months now. Go to task bar, click Dell PremierColor icon and go through the setup if you haven't already. I chose the defaults and named the profile default. When done with first time setup, click Advanced in the upper right corner then choose the Display Splitter tab on the left hand side. Uncheck Display Splitter on (see image).

lindstrom, Jun 9, 2016
  11. socalemc Win User
    I had this same issue but with an MSI computer. I have been looking for a resolution for over a month now and finally found this thread. It is a similar menu for MSI users called "TRUE COLOR" under "TOOLS" where you deselect the "Desktop Partition On" option. Problem resolved. Annoyance gone.

socalemc, Jul 16, 2016
  12. For me it was the MSI, as per socalemc - Thanks, it sure was an annoyance especially because I use Actual Windows for doing that.

bradsayers, Dec 19, 2016
  13. KiritoTSK Win User

I have found the answer for those of you using true color.

KiritoTSK, Feb 4, 2017
  14. Thank you guys !!! it really helped me. I have an MSI I was looking in windows forever.

andrewdufresne, Apr 4, 2017
  15. snickjam Win User
    Thanks very much for the solution ! Like others I had been searching for a way to remove the blue rectangle in windows without realising that Dell Premier Colour even existed!

A great relief to be rid of this annoyance

snickjam, May 14, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows 10 how to disable snap popup when you move a window - Similar Threads - disable snap popup

2. How to disable the popup?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to disable the popup?: My window shows automatically a setting popup how i remove it or disable it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-disable-the-popup/49771d74-68c1-4949-8959-05021a4ebbce
  3. How to enable or disable Snap Layouts when you drag window to the top

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable or disable Snap Layouts when you drag window to the top: [ATTACH]If you want to enable or disable Snap Layouts when you drag the window to the top in Windows 11, here is how you can do that. This feature is available in Windows 11 2022 Update Version 22H2 and later. If you have updated your computer to the latest version of Windows...
  4. How do you disable closed captioning popups?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do you disable closed captioning popups?: How do you disable closed captioning popups? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-you-disable-closed-captioning-popups/bff83357-e325-41c9-b053-1a96869e84d0
  5. How do you disable closed captioning popups?

How do you disable closed captioning popups?: How do you disable closed captioning popups? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-you-disable-closed-captioning-popups/bff83357-e325-41c9-b053-1a96869e84d0
  6. How do you disable closed captioning popups?

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. disable snap windows tomaximize when move off screen

disable snap windows tomaximize when move off screen: 1. Type or paste ‘regedit’ into the Search Windows box. 2. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop. Not there, just do search drop-down under file for WindowArrangementActive Changing setting to "0" works!...
  8. disable snap windows tomaximize when move off screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    disable snap windows tomaximize when move off screen: 1. Type or paste ‘regedit’ into the Search Windows box. 2. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop. Not there, just do search drop-down under file for WindowArrangementActive Changing setting to "0" works!...
  9. Disabling Snap also disables shortcut to move windows between monitors

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disabling Snap also disables shortcut to move windows between monitors: After switching my second monitor to one that exactly matched my primary in resolution and pixel size, I had a lot of trouble dragging windows between monitors on Windows 10. At any reasonable speed, as my cursor hit the boundary between the two monitors, Windows wanted to...
  10. How to disable Windows 10 headphone popup?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to disable Windows 10 headphone popup?: I've recently been trying to look up to disable the popup when you plug in your headphones, because it always doesnt connect the headphones until i click confirm and plays an annoying tone. It seems that there used to be an option to diable it, but it doesnt show up on my...