Windows 10: Windows 10 Image Backup/Restore BROKEN!

Discus and support Windows 10 Image Backup/Restore BROKEN! in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; All was well in Windows 7 until we upgraded to Windows 10. After the upgrade, I "CAN" back up to our Lenovo PX4-300d. However, image restores DO NOT... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by bboklewski, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Windows 10 Image Backup/Restore BROKEN!

All was well in Windows 7 until we upgraded to Windows 10. After the upgrade, I "CAN" back up to our Lenovo PX4-300d. However, image restores DO NOT WORK! I boot to the Windows 10 repair disk, chose troubleshooting, etc. I point to the network location, asks me to login, and I click okay and no image shows up in the list. I then tried moving the image to a external drive so I have attached a My Passport Ultra and it doesn't find the image. I have tried this on two of my machines and yes the images were for their respective systems.

:)

bboklewski, Aug 23, 2016

2. Windows 10 Backup

Windows 7 Backup and Windows 10 Backup are the same. There is no differences in how it functions in both.

You can find Backup and Restore (Windows 7) in Control Panel.

File History, System Image, Backup and Restore in Windows 10 are partially broken and they are not being actively maintained or developed. Microsoft is planning to remove them in a future release. You are seeing the effects of this. You should switch to a third
    party solution such as Macrium Reflect (Free).

Learn more:
    https://www.groovypost.com/howto/create-windows...

Andre Da Costa, Aug 23, 2016
  3. Error during backup on Windows 10

Backup and Restore, System Image and File History are all partially broken in Windows 10 and are not being actively maintained or developed.

It is advised users switch to a third party backup solution, since they will be removed in a future release of Windows 10.

You can use the free Macrium Reflect (Free).

Learn more:
    https://www.groovypost.com/howto/create-windows...

Andre Da Costa, Aug 23, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Windows 10 Image Backup/Restore BROKEN!

Various people here have reported difficulty with this. Please feel free to search the forum for relevant posts. Some are very similar to yours.
    Senior people here tend to regard Backup and Restore as not completely reliable.

3rd party disk image programs are:
    - more reliable
    - more feature rich
    - more flexible

Recommended: e.g. Macrium Reflect (free/commercial) + its boot medium + external storage.
    Veeam Endpoint is also interesting (free/commercial)

dalchina, Aug 23, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    Totally agree. Macrium is a great tool, and the only tool I have found that works reliably on a wide range of devices - in particular tablets with unusual 32bit uefi. It has a neat feature where you can install it as a dual boot option so you do not even need a booot disk unless hdd has failed or badly corrupted.

cereberus, Aug 23, 2016
  6. Saltgrass Win User
    Do you know what version your Win 10 repair disk is? I do not know if using one build version would allow restoring an image made from another version... Since the builds seems to change about every 6 months, I have started making new recovery drives and images once the system has shown to be stable. But I keep the recovery drive and image from the previous build just in case.

Saltgrass, Aug 23, 2016
  7. I tried both versions of the repair disk, one built for 7 and one built with 10. Image doesn't show up in the list. I have took the advice and I am now using Veeam. Veeam allows me to store the repair disc as an iso for each system, which is really nice. I was even able to restore a disk made from a HDD to an SSD with no issues, couldn't believe there were no problems. It also let's me easily adjust partition sizes when restoring from a larger to smaller disk. Veeam is awesome software. I agree Macrium is good, but I had issues with cloning HDD to SSD.

bboklewski, Aug 28, 2016
  8. Rocky Win User

Do you know what version of Windows 10 this is for? Windows 10 changes as does the images. How old is that image?

Rocky, Aug 28, 2016
  9. The image is brand new, running Windows 10 Pro.

bboklewski, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Image Backup/Restore BROKEN! - Similar Threads - Image Backup Restore

2. Attempt to restore of a backup image of Windows 10 fails

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Attempt to restore of a backup image of Windows 10 fails: Hello,I'm trying to restore a backup of Windows 10 on an older laptop Lenovo E540, UEFI boot after replacing HDD of the laptop with an SSD 500GB Seagate replaced with a 500GB Samsung EVO SSD. My so far attempts to restore the backup by booting either from a Windows 10...
  3. Attempt to restore of a backup image of Windows 10 fails

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Attempt to restore of a backup image of Windows 10 fails: Hello,I'm trying to restore a backup of Windows 10 on an older laptop Lenovo E540, UEFI boot after replacing HDD of the laptop with an SSD 500GB Seagate replaced with a 500GB Samsung EVO SSD. My so far attempts to restore the backup by booting either from a Windows 10...
  4. Attempt to restore of a backup image of Windows 10 fails

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. backup and restore system image fails

backup and restore system image fails: I am having a problem with backup and restore not completing a system image backup. I've researched this problem in this forum and have not found an answer that works. I have an Acer machine running windows 10 Home. It has a 1 TB internal hard drive and a 1TB external hard...
  6. Restoring from system image backup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restoring from system image backup: submitted by /u/SgtJackVisback [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lk0h04/restoring_from_system_image_backup/
  7. Combinte backup and restore system images

Combinte backup and restore system images: I have been testing different backup programs, and periodically I manually created a system image using backup and restore. However, I did not always use the same external drive for these images. As a result, I have a WindowsImageBackup folder on two different drives. Is...
  8. Restoring Image Backup to an identical PC

Restoring Image Backup to an identical PC: I have created an image backup of my Windows 10 in order to give my laptop for service. In case the laptop is replaced with a similar one (having also preinstalled the same Windows 10 version), is it possible to restore the backup image without any problem with the...
  9. How to restore system image backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to restore system image backup: Hi guys, i made a system image backup of the window 10 running on my toshiba laptop via control panel on a external harddrive. And i am trying to restore it by going to window recovery, then system image recovery in advanced options. But the problem i am facing it that when i...
  10. Restore from Windows Image Backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore from Windows Image Backup: I Created an image backup using Windows 10. I burned the repair CD. I booted from cd. Options are most recent backup [but it only shows D:\, the factory backup partition]. No browse capability. Other option does not let me browse to the folder the system created,...