Windows 10: Windows 10 in S Mode coming soon to all editions of Windows 10

Discus and support Windows 10 in S Mode coming soon to all editions of Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Some of you may have seen a discussion around our plans for Windows 10 S on Twitter today, and given some additional questions I’ve received, I thought... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Windows 10 in S Mode coming soon to all editions of Windows 10

Source: Windows 10 in S Mode coming soon to all editions of Windows 10 - Windows Experience Blog

See also:

:)

Brink, Mar 7, 2018

2. Wanted to ask some questions about Windows 10 S mode home edition

If you are referring to Windows 10 in S Mode, it is not yet been released by Microsoft. You can use this article as your reference:

Let us know if you have other concerns.

Janeane Cru, Mar 7, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so i figured it out myself

Found the logfile in "C:\Windows\Minidump".

You need the Windows Development Kit to open it and a bit of googling to understand it.

Found out that a Daemon driver caused an error. Removed Daemon but this didn't solve it. (ps: Daemon itself worked normally).

I let hibernate my computer again and found another error with sptd2.sys: SCSI Pass Through Direct layer

More google and ended up on the duplexsecure site. Downloaded the W10 version and voila: problem fixed.

For the Windows support team: It would be really helpfull if you could pass problems to a more skilled helpdesk who can do more than proposing the standard solutions in case those won't work.

Cheers

windows-10, Mar 7, 2018
  4. cereberus Win User

What is buried in this is switching from S mode to normal mode will be free for all editions. Thus the $49 pro upgrade for current S mode will not apply to these new skus. I am betting MS will continue to offer the current S and new S users (before new SKU) the upgrade for free beyond end of March.

cereberus, Mar 7, 2018
  5. CountMike New Member
    It's a bit unfortunately worded, I was expecting "normal" W10 to be able to switch to S mode (something like Tablet mode) for instance in another (guest) account.

CountMike, Mar 7, 2018
  6. Yeah, more info is needed IMHO. From that, my take is, you have to obtain a device "already configured" in S mode to get S Mode?
    Also, if say you switch out, can that device be switched back to S Mode.
    And what happens if you do a reset and or factory reset?
    And can you lock it in S Mode etc.

alphanumeric, Mar 7, 2018
  7. VBJP Win User
    Windows RT failed, Windows Mobile failed, Windows S was scrapped... Do Microsoft really think S mode will take off and become popular?
    I get the Idea they want to compete with locked stuff like Chromebooks for schools and other places where locking up is somewhat desired but still.

I used windows mobile and liked it but lack of developer support killed it. It's a cycle that windows mobile could not escape lack of user market share meant less interest from developers, less useful apps from developers meant less users wanted it.

VBJP, Mar 8, 2018
  8. Windows 10 in S Mode coming soon to all editions of Windows 10

Hi,
    Is this a repeat or what *Smile

ThrashZone, Mar 8, 2018
  9. The Universal App Platform "should" help 10 Mobile / 10 on Arm etc. That was the plan anyway.

IMHO, most users aren't going to want to use S Mode. And if they can figure a way out they will. So said school IT person is going to have to lock the device in S MODE. I have my doubts as to whether S Mode will even be usable in said environments. But I could have it all wrong. It's been a long time since I sat behind a desk in a learning type environment.

alphanumeric, Mar 8, 2018
  10. Hi,
    The default install has nothing but apps that are in the store so S mode is nothing out of the ordinary
    Only difference is slide loading apps and or install apps from anywhere is gone.
    Yawn *Sleep

ThrashZone, Mar 8, 2018
  11. Is this Xp mode redux *Smile

Josey Wales, Mar 8, 2018
  12. TheSchaft Win User
    From the FAQ link:

Can I change my default web browser on my Windows 10 S PC?

No. Microsoft Edge is the default web browser on Windows 10 S, and Bing is the default search engine in Microsoft Edge when customers are in Windows 10 S configuration. But you can access other browsers and search engines while in the Windows 10 S configuration: you can download any browser available in the Microsoft Store within Windows and can navigate to any other search engine website. If you want to download a browser (or any other application) not in the Microsoft Store, you can switch to Windows 10 Pro. If you switch to Windows 10 Pro, you can then set your default browser and search engine to the one you choose.

That makes it a non-starter for a lot of folks...

TheSchaft, Mar 8, 2018
  13. Windows 10 in S Mode coming soon to all editions of Windows 10

It's just the opposite of XP Mode. XP Mode lets you run more software. Windows 10 - S doesn't let you run anything that isn't preinstalled. Other than Approved Store Apps. That's how it was when I tested it. Maybe S Mode won't be as restrictive, I doubt it somehow though.

alphanumeric, Mar 8, 2018
  14. Hi,
    Yeah I don't get the xp comparison at all *Confused

ThrashZone, Mar 8, 2018
  15. I never used Windows S and know nothing about it.*Cool

Josey Wales, Mar 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 in S Mode coming soon to all editions of Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Mode coming soon

2. windows 10 s mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 10 s mode: I have new laptop with windows 10 s mode but cant download from microsoft store any ideas? thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-s-mode/2d6960e5-91d5-457f-9389-cdcd03c8d704
  3. Windows 10 S Mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 S Mode: I have 2 computers signed into Windows, both are running on Windows 10 S mode. If i switch one computer out of S mode will it affect the other computer, or should i create a new account for on of them?...
  4. Windows 10 S mode

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 S mode: I have a asus laptop in windows 10 s mode but i want to download apps out of the windows store, will my computer still have virus protection if i leave or will i need to buy one like norton? thankyou...
  5. Windows 10 S-mode

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 S-mode: I went through the whole H&R Block download and Windows 10 says I have to get the windows store version. I already paid for H&R Block software. Any thoughts? Thanks, Phil...
  6. Windows 10 S Mode

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Windows 10 S Mode: I can't find a way to get my laptop out of s mode. When I go through the Microsoft support instructions I've found online they don't work. There is no 'Go to store' option at instruction 2, and no 'Switch out of S mode' in the Microsoft store at instruction 3. - Those...
  7. Windows 10 S mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 S mode: If i decide i'm going to reset my surface will it reinstall Windows 10 in S mode like it came originally or not? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-s-mode/ed78e756-e510-4c2e-b8b5-a73fc54beb2f
  8. Coming out from S Mode in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Coming out from S Mode in Windows 10: Hi, To come out from S Mode in Windows 10, we generally download an app Switch out of S Mode from Windows Store. In most cases, I found it works fine but in some cases Windows Store doesn’t allow to download the app without Microsoft Account. Please let me know an...
  9. Windows 10 in s mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 in s mode: can you play java games with this.Like pogo.com? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-in-s-mode/f6f8222b-2f72-48d5-aab2-72ca846934a3
  10. Windows 10 Build 10125 coming soon?

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Build 10125 coming soon?: Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date