Windows 10: Windows 10 Indexing

Discus and support Windows 10 Indexing in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; So i am having issues with searching for programs and files on my computer. At first i thought it just wasnt finding things on my D: drive(storage).... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by methods, Jun 24, 2016.

1. methods Win User

Windows 10 Indexing

So i am having issues with searching for programs and files on my computer. At first i thought it just wasnt finding things on my D: drive(storage). But now ive recently installed origin on to my C: drive and i search for it but it does not find anything. Any ideas on what i can do to solve this? Ive attached pictures showing my windows index, my search in cortana, and the fact that origin is indeed installed(it does this with more than just origin though)

:)

methods, Jun 24, 2016
  2. Rohn007 Win User

How to search WPD documents converted to Word (2016)

The feature you are looking for is Windows 10 indexing. That will allow you to use the Windows 10 start menu / cortana to search for text.

You need to make sure your folder is included in the indexing list and the files types are indexed (should already be). This article give some basic instructions. Make sure that in advanced options the option to "Index Properties and file contents" is selected.

https://www.technig.com/windows-10-indexing-opt...

What is WPD format? Is that Word Perfect? I don't see it in the list of file types to be indexed so you won't be able to search therm until you convert them to Word format.

Rohn007, Jun 24, 2016
  3. Jack A505 Win User
    Have I got the correct Windows 10 1709 ISO file?

Hi Greg,

I think I found the answer. I should have queried all the indexes with the Get-WimInfo tool. It turns out there are 9 versions in the 1709 ISO and Windows 10 Pro is index 8.

The 1703 ISO had 4 indexes, index 1 was Windows 10 Pro. That's what confused me.

Using the command:

dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFileWindows 10 Indexing :D:\sources\install.esd (note no index specified)

I get this:

Index : 1

Name : Windows 10 S

Description : Windows 10 S

Size : 16,024,379,911 bytes

Index : 2

Name : Windows 10 S N

Description : Windows 10 S N

Size : 14,943,318,125 bytes

Index : 3

Name : Windows 10 Home

Description : Windows 10 Home

Size : 15,801,812,047 bytes

Index : 4

Name : Windows 10 Home N

Description : Windows 10 Home N

Size : 14,695,794,797 bytes

Index : 5

Name : Windows 10 Home Single Language

Description : Windows 10 Home Single Language

Size : 15,803,415,967 bytes

Index : 6

Name : Windows 10 Education

Description : Windows 10 Education

Size : 16,021,184,419 bytes

Index : 7

Name : Windows 10 Education N

Description : Windows 10 Education N

Size : 14,940,637,808 bytes

Index : 8

Name : Windows 10 Pro

Description : Windows 10 Pro

Size : 16,001,108,691 bytes

Index : 9

Name : Windows 10 Pro N

Description : Windows 10 Pro N

Size : 14,941,591,555 bytes

And quering index 8:

Index : 8

Name : Windows 10 Pro

Description : Windows 10 Pro

Size : 16,001,108,691 bytes

WIM Bootable : No

Architecture : x64

Hal : <undefined>

Version : 10.0.16299

ServicePack Build : 15

ServicePack Level : 0

Edition : Professional

Installation : Client

ProductType : WinNT

ProductSuite : Terminal Server

System Root : WINDOWS

Directories : 21469

Files : 107842

Created : 2017-09-29 - 9:49:04 AM

Modified : 2018-02-23 - 2:31:49 PM

Languages : en-US (Default)

I should have thought of this before, my bad. I will still let you know how it goes.

Regards... Jack

Jack A505, Jun 24, 2016
  4. seedless Win User

Windows 10 Indexing

On my original install I was having issues with indexing.

The steps that worked for me included:

1 - CCleaner: Windows > Windows Explorer - Untick: Other Explorer MRUs

2 - Index - Rebuild

Windows 10 Indexing [​IMG]

Above was the cure for my system

I have internet search turned off, so I can't help you there M8

seedless, Jun 24, 2016
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hi, Cortana search (you should click 'My Stuff'- have you done that?) only finds what's indexed. Hence presumably your failure to find on D:

Explorer search is better, but far better and simpler - and faster- is to use e.g.

Everything (void tools)
    or
    Locate32

Both are freeware, provide search as you type results and index all your files (names, not content) fast.
    Windows search can index content too; Locate 32 includes a text file search.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Indexing

1. Windows 10 Indexing - Similar Threads - Indexing

2. Windows.edb constantly filling C drive despite repeated index rebuilds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows.edb constantly filling C drive despite repeated index rebuilds: The OS is W10Pro 22H2 build 19045.41232. While Sabya's helpful advice solves the issue for one day, a few days later the issue is back. How do I resolve this? In addition, Tree Size Free reports the 106GB HDD at 137GB capacity: While Win10 Settings shows different storage...
  3. Windows.edb constantly filling C drive despite repeated index rebuilds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows.edb constantly filling C drive despite repeated index rebuilds: The OS is W10Pro 22H2 build 19045.41232. While Sabya's helpful advice solves the issue for one day, a few days later the issue is back. How do I resolve this? In addition, Tree Size Free reports the 106GB HDD at 137GB capacity: While Win10 Settings shows different storage...
  4. Windows.edb constantly filling C drive despite repeated index rebuilds

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows eleven search index malware or is it rat ware ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows eleven search index malware or is it rat ware ?: I spent the last 3 days trying to fix my computer. I got all of my paused issues fixed. The problem is now is my CPU. Keeps maxing out to a 100. Well, I've got that somewhat kind of fixed with mwhereabouts running an hourly scan every hour, but the problem is. It spikes to a...
  6. Windows eleven search index malware or is it rat ware ?

Windows eleven search index malware or is it rat ware ?: I spent the last 3 days trying to fix my computer. I got all of my paused issues fixed. The problem is now is my CPU. Keeps maxing out to a 100. Well, I've got that somewhat kind of fixed with mwhereabouts running an hourly scan every hour, but the problem is. It spikes to a...
  7. how to get indexing back

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to get indexing back: Search indexing is offTurn indexing back on The above is what I see. When I click on it I end up in indexing advanced options. The only thing there I can click onall other thing are whited out is rebuild which then takes me to indexing options, where all I can do is click on...
  8. how to get indexing back

how to get indexing back: Search indexing is offTurn indexing back on The above is what I see. When I click on it I end up in indexing advanced options. The only thing there I can click onall other thing are whited out is rebuild which then takes me to indexing options, where all I can do is click on...
  9. Indexing has paused on Windows 11 machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Indexing has paused on Windows 11 machine: Hello, I have Microsoft Outlook desktop running on my Windows 11 machine. The indexing keeps pausing. I have rebuilt the index three 3 times in the last four 4 weeks. The last rebuild was completed on 2/13. On 2/15 the indexing is paused again. I have stopped and started all...
  10. Indexing has paused on Windows 11 machine

Indexing has paused on Windows 11 machine: Hello, I have Microsoft Outlook desktop running on my Windows 11 machine. The indexing keeps pausing. I have rebuilt the index three 3 times in the last four 4 weeks. The last rebuild was completed on 2/13. On 2/15 the indexing is paused again. I have stopped and started all...