Windows 10: Change File Sharing Encryption Level in Windows 10

Discus and support Change File Sharing Encryption Level in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change File Sharing Encryption Level in Windows 10 How to Change File Sharing Encryption Level in Windows 10 File and printer sharing is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Change File Sharing Encryption Level in Windows 10

How to: Change File Sharing Encryption Level in Windows 10

How to Change File Sharing Encryption Level in Windows 10

File and printer sharing is the ability of a computer running Windows to share a folder or attached printer with other computers on a network.
    • File sharing allows you to make files and folders in a shared folder accessible to others on the network to view, copy, or modify.
    • Printer sharing allows you to make an attached printer available to other computer users on the network.
    Windows uses 128-bit encryption to help protect file sharing connections by default. Some devices do not support 128-bit encryption and must use 40- or 56-bit encryption.

This tutorial will show you how to change to use 128-bit or 40- or 50-bit encryption for file sharing on all networks in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to change the file sharing encryption level.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Change File Sharing Encryption Level in Network and Sharing Center
    • Option Two: To Change File Sharing Encryption Level using a REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] To Change File Sharing Encryption Level in Network and Sharing Center
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Network and Sharing Center icon.

2. Click/tap on the Change advanced sharing settings link on the left side. (see screenshot below)

Change File Sharing Encryption Level in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. Expand open
    the All Networks network profile. (see screenshot below )

4. Under File sharing connections, select (dot) Use 128-bit encryption to help protect file sharing connections (default) or Enable file sharing for devices that use 40- or 56-bit encryption for what you want to do, and click/tap on Save changes. (see screenshot below)

5. When finished, you can close Network and Sharing Center if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Change File Sharing Encryption Level using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD values in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\MSV1_0

NtlmMinClientSec and NtlmMinServerSec DWORDs

0 = 40- or 56-bit
    536870912 (decimal) = 128-bit

1. Do step 2 (128-bit) or step 3 (40- or 56-bit) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Use 128-bit Encryption for File Sharing
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Use_128-bit_file_sharing_encryption.reg

Download

3. To Use 40- or 56-bit Encryption for File Sharing
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Use_40-56-bit_file_sharing_encryption.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If you like, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Feb 7, 2018

2. Windows XP file encryption

LOL thanks, I think its standard windows XP file encryption

troyrae360, Oct 26, 2019
  3. File and Printer Sharing Between Vista and Windows 10

Hi,

To share a folder in Windows Vista, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Ensure that file sharing is enabled as described in the Enabling File and Printer Sharing Options section of this article.
    • Click Start, and then click Computer.
    • In the Computer window, navigate to the folder containing the folder that you want to share.
    • Right-click the folder that you want to share, and then click Share. The
      File Sharing window is displayed.
    • If you have password protected sharing enabled, use the File Sharing window to select which users can access the shared folder and their permission level. To allow all users, select
      Everyone in the list of users. By default, the permission level for a selected user is Reader. Users cannot change files or create new files in the share. To allow a user to change files or folders or create new files or folders, select Co-owner
      as the permission level. Figure 5 shows an example of configuring users and permission levels in the
      File Sharing window.

If you have password protected sharing disabled, use the File Sharing window to select the Guest or Everyone account. This is equivalent to simple file sharing in Windows XP.
    • When complete, click Share, and then click Done.

Hope the above information helps.

Acelyn Alc, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Change File Sharing Encryption Level in Windows 10

Windows XP file encryption

My suggestion to you is to look into what kind of encryption the program used, and look for a way to break that type of encryption. Sorry I can't say a specific program for sure.

Hybrid_theory, Oct 26, 2019
  5. SHARING FILES WITH WINDOWS 7

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Have you made any changes on your PC?
    • Did you perform any Windows update recently?
    • Are you connected to Domain network?

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if that helps.

1. To share files over file explorer refer the following

article
    2. Refer article for
      file sharing
      over a network.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking, Yes or No.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Stelios13 Win User
    File sharing dont work on NMT using windows 10

As mentioned in windows 7 i have resolved the issue by changing the following

Then expanded All Networks and changed the File Sharing Connections from

• Use 128-bit encryption to help protect file sharing connection (recommended)

To

• Enable file sharing for devices that use 40- or 56-bit encryption

Check if it helps.
    But when upgraded to windows 10 dont work.

There is no updated driver for my Intel dp45sg board for windows 10.

Stelios13, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Change File Sharing Encryption Level in Windows 10

1. Change File Sharing Encryption Level in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change File Sharing

2. is workgroup share encrypted?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is workgroup share encrypted?: hi, i just wondered, when i have a workgroup share and insert the local machine user and password to access the shared folder is the username and password encrypted?or plain text?10x...
  3. is workgroup share encrypted?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    is workgroup share encrypted?: hi, i just wondered, when i have a workgroup share and insert the local machine user and password to access the shared folder is the username and password encrypted?or plain text?10x...
  4. is workgroup share encrypted?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. changing trust level in configuration file

changing trust level in configuration file: greetings; please how do I change the "trust level in the configuration file"? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-trust-level-in-configuration-file/0553b3cf-5a64-41c5-8c21-0c0f766e4655
  6. how to stop windows 10 changes to file sharing

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to stop windows 10 changes to file sharing: I have file sharing turned OFF for both private and public networks. However, Windows 10 periodically changes the file sharing to ON. I have not been able to track down when the change occurs, but want it to stop. I have two Windows 10 laptops, both set up the same way,...
  7. File Encryption for Windows 10

File Encryption for Windows 10: I'm exhausted from trying to figure this out. When I click properties on folders and go to check the file encryption box, it's grayed out and doesn't let me check it. Does anyone know of a way I could encrypt my files or any (preferably free but I'll take any suggestions at...
  8. How to encrypt files with EFS Encryption on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to encrypt files with EFS Encryption on Windows 10: [ATTACH] EFS Encryption is present in Windows OS out of the box. It is shipped together with BitLocker encryption that is also shipped out of the box. Though they work in the same manner, the main difference between the two is [...] This post How to encrypt files with EFS...
  9. Change or Remove Lock Icon on Encrypted Files in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change or Remove Lock Icon on Encrypted Files in Windows 10: How to: Change or Remove Lock Icon on Encrypted Files in Windows 10 How to Change or Remove Lock Icon on Encrypted Files and Folders in Windows 10 The Encrypting File System (EFS) is the built-in encryption tool in Windows used to encrypt files and folders on NTFS...
  10. Change Power Mode Level in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Power Mode Level in Windows 10: How to: Change Power Mode Level in Windows 10 How to Change Power Mode Level in Windows 10 The Windows performance power slider enables you to quickly and intelligently trade performance of your system for longer battery life. As you switch between the four slider modes...