Windows 10: Customize Colors of Console Window in Windows

Discus and support Customize Colors of Console Window in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Customize Colors of Console Window in Windows How to Customize Colors of Console Window in Windows A console (or "terminal) is an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Customize Colors of Console Window in Windows

How to: Customize Colors of Console Window in Windows

How to Customize Colors of Console Window in Windows

A console (or "terminal) is an application that provides I/O to character-mode applications.

For example: Linux

In Windows, you can change the color of the screen text, screen background, popup text, and popup background of a console window to any color you want.

This tutorial will show you how to customize the colors of any console window (ex: command prompt, PowerShell, Linux) for your account in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

*note The colors you set for a console window will only be applied to the specific console window shortcut that opened it.

For example, command prompt opened via Win+X menu VS Run (Win+R) dialog. Each location would have its own settings.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Customize Colors of a Console window in Properties
    • Option Two: To Customize Colors of a Console window using "Color" Command

OPTION ONE [/i] To Customize Colors of a Console window in Properties
    1. Open a Linux console window you want using the shortcut or location you want to change the colors for.

*note You could also just directly right click on the command prompt shortcut or file, click/tap on Properties, and go to step 3 below.

2. Right click or press and hold on the title bar of the command prompt, and click/tap on Properties. (see screenshot below)

Customize Colors of Console Window in Windows [​IMG]

3. Click/tap on the Colors tab. (see screenshot below)

4. Select (dot) Screen Text, Screen Background, Popup Text, or Popup Background for the item you want to change the color of.

5. Select the color you want for this item, or enter/select the RGB values you want for this item.

*note You can see a preview of your Select Screen Colors and Selected Popup Colors changes at the bottom to see if you like it or not before clicking on OK to apply.

6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 above if you would like to change the color of another item.

7. When finished changing colors for items, click/tap on OK.

8. When finished, you can close the command prompt if you like. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Customize Colors of a Console window using "Color" Command
    *note The custom foreground (text) and background colors you set using this option will only be temporary, and only used while the command prompt is open unless you use Option One above to set the current colors as default.

1. While you have a step 2 (custom color) or step 3 (original color) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Customize Background and Foreground Colors of Console Window
    A) Type the command below into the console window, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

*Arrow color <BackgroundColorValue><ForegroundColorValue>

*note Substitute <BackgroundColorValue> in the command above with the value (ex: "1") from the table below of the color (ex: "Blue") you want for the command prompt background.

Substitute <ForegroundColorValue> in the command above with the value (ex: "F") from the table below of the color (ex: "Bright white") you want for the command prompt foreground (text).

For example: color 1F

[table][tr][td]Value[/td] [td]Color[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]0[/td] [td]Black[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]1[/td] [td]Blue[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]2[/td] [td]Green[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]3[/td] [td]Aqua[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]4[/td] [td]Red[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]5[/td] [td]Purple[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]6[/td] [td]Yellow[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]7[/td] [td]White[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]8[/td] [td]Gray[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]9[/td] [td]Light blue[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]A[/td] [td]Light green[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]B[/td] [td]Light aqua[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]C[/td] [td]Light red[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]D[/td] [td]Light purple[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]E[/td] [td]Light yellow[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]F[/td] [td]Bright white[/td] [/tr] [/table]

3. To Restore Background and Foreground Colors used when Console Window was Started
    A) Type color into the console window, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Feb 8, 2018

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Monk.e83 Win User
    Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

DTS supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 and it should work on windows 10 too just DDL require to unlock your driver .

Monk.e83, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Argel Obm Win User

Start Menu background color customize

Hi,

You can change the background color of the the Start menu on Settings. To do this, follow the steps below:

• Click the Windows logo (Start button).
    • Click the gear icon (Settings).
    • Choose Personalization.
    • Select Colors.
    • Under Show color on Start, taskbar, and action center, switch the slider to
      On.
    • After switching the slider to On, you can now pick what color you want or you can click the
      Automatically pick an accent color from my background checkbox to make Windows pick the color that complements the color of your desktop background.
    Kindly share with us the result after you perform the steps above.

Argel Obm, Oct 26, 2019
  5. hellrazor Win User
    Survey Reveals Companies' Early Windows 8 Reactions and Plans

Bull fucking shit.

hellrazor, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Custom Color Lost in Update

Hi Regina,

One of the hidden features of your updated Windows 10 is to set a custom color. If you want to access the custom accent color, follow the instructions below:

• Press Win + R to open the run command window.
    • Type control color and hit OK.
    • Reveal the extended menu by clicking on Show color mixer.
    • Using different sliders, you can choose the color, hue, brightness , and
      intensity.
    • Save Changes once you're done.
    Let us know if you need further assistance.

Reymichael Ros, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Customize Colors of Console Window in Windows - Similar Threads - Customize Colors Console

2. Windows color custom -Registry Key

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows color custom -Registry Key: Hi All, Could you please help me with the registry key to set the Windows accent color custom on Windows 10 1909 ? We have to add it in the SCCM Task Sequence. We tried using the below and it did not worked as expected HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors /v Window...
  3. Backup customized console layout?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Backup customized console layout?: Hi! I always like to change the default layout of PowerShell to let it more like cmd, but everytime I change computer I have to reconfigure it again. Is there a way to customize and backup/restore that? I have tried to backup registry keys before (HKCU\Console) but it...
  4. Personalization: window color custom: Advance appearance sittings: window Color and...

Personalization: window color custom: Advance appearance sittings: window Color and...: Dear Windows 10, I have a problem! I do not like a WHITE screen!!!! It hears my eyes! In the past, I would go to Control Panel: Personalization: Window Color Custom: Advance Apperance Sittings: Window Color and Apperance: and reset what ever color of text or back...
  5. Custom Color

Custom Color: If I try to use "Settings > Personalization > Colors > Custom Color", the color dialog opens and then the Settings window closes after a few seconds. I have tried this in high contrast and it does the same thing. Windows 10 1803. 122111
  6. Change Terminal Colors of Console Window in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Terminal Colors of Console Window in Windows 10: How to: Change Terminal Colors of Console Window in Windows 10 How to Change Foreground and Background Terminal Colors of Console Window in Windows 10 A console (or "terminal) is an application that provides I/O to character-mode applications. For example: Linux...
  7. Change Cursor Color of Console Window in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Cursor Color of Console Window in Windows 10: How to: Change Cursor Color of Console Window in Windows 10 How to Change Cursor Color of Console Window in Windows 10 A console (or "terminal) is an application that provides I/O to character-mode applications. For example: Linux Starting with Windows 10 build...
  8. Custom Colors

Custom Colors: Add up to 8 Custom Colors in Settings/Personalization/Colors with this Registry Script. [img] Copy the Code and Paste into Notepad and save as Accents.reg file Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00...
  9. Create Custom MSC in Microsoft Management Console in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Custom MSC in Microsoft Management Console in Windows: How to: Create Custom MSC in Microsoft Management Console in Windows How to Create Custom MSC in Microsoft Management Console in Windows administrative tools (snap-ins) that you can use to administer networks, computers, services, and other system components. You can...
  10. Customize Console Window Position in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Customize Console Window Position in Windows: How to: Customize Console Window Position in Windows How to Customize Console Window Position in Windows A console (or "terminal) is an application that provides I/O to character-mode applications. For example: Linux This tutorial will show you how to customize...