Windows 10: Adjust Touchpad Sensitivity in Windows 10

Discus and support Adjust Touchpad Sensitivity in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Adjust Touchpad Sensitivity in Windows 10 How to Adjust Touchpad Sensitivity in Windows 10 If your Windows 10 PC (ex: laptop) has a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by AFTommy, Jul 25, 2018.

1. AFTommy Win User

Adjust Touchpad Sensitivity in Windows 10

How to: Adjust Touchpad Sensitivity in Windows 10

How to Adjust Touchpad Sensitivity in Windows 10

If your Windows 10 PC (ex: laptop) has a built-in touchpad, you may need to adjust the touchpad sensitivity for your needs.

Touchpad sensitivity is how much pressure must be applied on the touchpad before it responds.

If your pointer is moving or clicking erratically or to easily, decreasing sensitivity may help.

If you have to press too hard to operate the touchpad or the touchpad does not always respond to your taps, increasing the sensitivity may hay help.

This tutorial will show you how to adjust the touchpad sensitivity for your account in Windows 10.

Touchpad sensitivity settings will vary from one device and driver to another, so you may not have some settings available or some settings may be different than in this tutorial.

If you have something different, then please post screenshots. I'll be happy to include it in the tutorial for others.

Contents
    • Option One: Adjust Touchpad Sensitivity in Settings
    • Option Two: Adjust Touchpad Sensitivity using a REG file
    • Option Three: Adjust Touchpad Sensitivity in Properties for Synaptics ClickPad

OPTION ONE [/i] Adjust Touchpad Sensitivity in Settings
    1 Open Settings, and click/tap on the Devices icon.

2 Click/tap on Touchpad on the left side, and select Most sensitive, High sensitivity, Medium sensitivity (default), or Low sensitivity for what you want in the Touchpad sensitivity drop menu on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3 When finished adjusting touchpad sensitivity to what you want, you can close Settings if you like.

Adjust Touchpad Sensitivity in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] Adjust Touchpad Sensitivity using a REG file
    This option is for setting the same setting in Option One, but doing so in the registry via REG file instead.

The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PrecisionTouchPad

AAPThreshold DWORD

0 = Most sensitive
    1 = High sensitivity
    2 = Medium sensitivity (default)
    3 = Low sensitivity

1 Do step 2 (Most), step 3 (high), step 4 (medium), or step 5 (low) below for what you want.

2. To Adjust Touchpad Sensitivity to "Most sensitive"
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 6 below.

Most_touchpad_sensitivity.reg

Download

3. To Adjust Touchpad Sensitivity to "High sensitivity"
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 6 below.

High_touchpad_sensitivity.reg

Download

4. To Adjust Touchpad Sensitivity to "Medium sensitivity"
    This is the default setting

.A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 6 below.

Default_Medium_touchpad_sensitivity.reg

Download

5. To Adjust Touchpad Sensitivity to "Low sensitivity"

Low_touchpad_sensitivity.reg

Download
    6 Save the .reg file to your desktop.

7 Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

8 When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

9 Restart the computer to apply.

10 You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Adjust Touchpad Sensitivity in Properties for Synaptics ClickPad
    1 Open the Control Panel (icons view), click/tap on the Synaptics ClickPad or Synaptics Control Panel type icon, and close the Control Panel. (see screenshot below)

2 Expand open Pointing in the left pane, click/tap on Sensitivity, and click/tap on the gear icon (settings). (see screenshot below)

3 Adjust the Touch Sensitivity slider between Light Touch (more sensitive) to Heavy Touch (less sensitive) for what you want, and click/tap on Close. (see screenshot below)
    (On HP laptop)

(On Lenovo laptop)

4 Click/tap on OK to apply. (see screenshot below step 2)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

AFTommy, Jul 25, 2018

2. Decrease Touchpad Sensitivity

Hello Pete,

There is a possibility that you're experiencing this issue due a touchpad driver problem. For us to efficiently assist you, we would like to ask a few questions:

• Could you tell us what is the make and model of your device?
    • Have you tried updating the touchpad driver on your device? If not, we suggest that you update it by following the steps
      here on how to update drivers in Windows 10.

Meanwhile, we advise that you try the steps provided by Pawan Dhondiyal in this
    article on how to adjust the touch sensitivity of your device.

We're looking forward to your response.

Stephanie Sal, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Touchpad Sensitivity in Windows 10

After searching for ways to adjust the sensitivity of the touchpad in Windows 10 I gave up and sent this request suggestion to Microsoft.

--

I have a Surface Pro 6 with keypad and the touchpad is way too sensitive to minor touches. Please add back a sensitivity adjustment for it like previous versions of Windows had.

I search for the adjustment and all I find is people complaining about the lack of an adjustment.

--

Then I had the following idea and it worked GREAT.

I fixed my problem by putting a layer of Screen Protector plastic film over the touchpad. I had some leftovers from my old Palm Handspring and it worked great. So much better with less sensitivity!

--

Hope this helps others.

Pete

PeterBeker, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Adjust Touchpad Sensitivity in Windows 10

Touchpad Sensitivity

There are two places to adjust touchpad sensitivity on Windows 10 and my Lenovo laptop. One is Settings/Devices/Touchpad/Touchpad sensitivity/Most sensitive to Low sensitivity. The other, beginning on the same page where this adjustment can be made, is
    also Additional settings/Mouse Properties/Settings/Advanced/Sensitivity/Heavy Touch to Light Touch.

- Which one should be used to adjust touchpad sensitivity? Why?

- Does one setting override the other? If so, which one? If not, which setting place prevails, since a setting in one place does not change the setting in the other.

- Do they do different things relating to sensitivity?

JamesReeder 1, Oct 27, 2019
  5. How to adjust touchpad sensitivity

I want to adjust touchpad sensitivity on my Lenovo laptop. Please tell me the best way to do it. Thank you!!!

JohnnyDawson, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Need Windows 10 setting to adjust touchpad sensitivity

Hi,

Welcome and thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Please be informed us if you have updated the touch pad driver after upgrading to Windows 10.

As this issue might be due to un-updated touchpad drivers, I suggest you to update the touch pad driver and check.

Steps:

• Type Device Manager in the Search box from the desktop.
    • Select Device Manager, expand Mice and other pointing devices.
    • Right click on the driver and select Update Driver Software.
    • Restart the laptop and check with the sensitivity.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Adjust Touchpad Sensitivity in Windows 10

1. Adjust Touchpad Sensitivity in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Adjust Touchpad Sensitivity

2. adjust keyboard sensitivity

in Windows 10 Gaming
    adjust keyboard sensitivity: Please help me with my keyboard. The keys are so sensitive that I often type double or triple letters. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/adjust-keyboard-sensitivity/201f1bf3-4f2e-4fbe-b443-4e6cc4171e92
  3. I want to adjust sensitivity of my Touchpad

in Windows 10 Customization
    I want to adjust sensitivity of my Touchpad: I am using HP Pavilion laptop. I think the sensitivity is too high there. Is there a method to adjust sensitivity? Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-adjust-sensitivity-of-my-touchpad/92aeadf0-6951-4f2e-b2f5-bc1630c38287
  4. Touchpad Sensitivity

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Touchpad Sensitivity: Dell XPS 9370 / Windows 10 May 2019 Update The slightest 'single finger' graze causes the Touchpad to register a 'left-click'. Touchpad sensitivity setting seems to make no difference. Same problem with previous version of Windows 10. Experiencing multiple false...
  5. touchpad sensitivity

touchpad sensitivity: hello my touchpad on laptop is very sensitive to touch and is driving me crazy! I have tried going into pc settings > touchpad, adjust to low sensitivity and restarted but I see no improvement. I googled it and found you can adjust the same setting via regedit. it was set to...
  6. touchpad sensitivity

in Windows 10 Support
    touchpad sensitivity: hello my touchpad on laptop is very sensitive to touch and is driving me crazy! I have tried going into pc settings > touchpad, adjust to low sensitivity and restarted but I see no improvement. I googled it and found you can adjust the same setting via regedit. it was set to...
  7. Touchpad Sensitivity in Windows 10

Touchpad Sensitivity in Windows 10: After searching for ways to adjust the sensitivity of the touchpad in Windows 10 I gave up and sent this request suggestion to Microsoft. -- I have a Surface Pro 6 with keypad and the touchpad is way too sensitive to minor touches. Please add back a sensitivity adjustment...
  8. Touchpad Sensitivity

Touchpad Sensitivity: I never thought I'd have to do one of these, but it seems like I'm the only person on the planet who's ever had this problem. This morning, I downloaded a Windows 10 update on my MSI gaming laptop. Ever since then, I've had an issue with my touchpad, where the sensitivity...
  9. How to adjust touchpad sensitivity

How to adjust touchpad sensitivity: I want to adjust touchpad sensitivity on my Lenovo laptop. Please tell me the best way to do it. Thank you!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-adjust-touchpad-sensitivity/c5aa30f0-6b3d-4b55-a3ff-61968f0f742c
  10. Touchpad Sensitivity

Touchpad Sensitivity: There are two places to adjust touchpad sensitivity on Windows 10 and my Lenovo laptop. One is Settings/Devices/Touchpad/Touchpad sensitivity/Most sensitive to Low sensitivity. The other, beginning on the same page where this adjustment can be made, is also Additional...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. if you want your touchpad to require more pressure do you hit high or low sensitivity