Windows 10: Change Border of Thumbnail Previews in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Border of Thumbnail Previews in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Border of Thumbnail Previews in Windows 10 How to Change Border of Thumbnail Previews in Windows 10 [img] Information File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Change Border of Thumbnail Previews in Windows 10

How to: Change Border of Thumbnail Previews in Windows 10

How to Change Border of Thumbnail Previews in Windows 10

Change Border of Thumbnail Previews in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information File Explorer displays thumbnail previews for files and folders by default.

Thumbnail previews will only show when folder view layout selected.

If you like, you can change the border of thumbnail previews to have no border, shadow, or video reel.

This tutorial will show you how to change the border of thumbnail previews for image and video files for all users in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to change the border of thumbnail previews.

Contents:
    • Option One: To Change Border of Thumbnail Previews for Image Files
    • Option Two: To Change Border of Thumbnail Previews for Video Files
    EXAMPLE: Thumbnail previews with no border

EXAMPLE: Thumbnail previews with drop shadow border

EXAMPLE: Thumbnail previews with video reel border

OPTION ONE [/i] To Change Border of Thumbnail Previews for Image Files

Note The .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image

Treatment DWORD

0 = No border
    1 or 2 = Shadow border (default)
    3 = Video reel border

1. Do step 2 (none), step 3 (shadow), or step 4 (video reel) below for what type of border you want.

2. To Change Border of Thumbnail Previews for Image Files to No Border
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

No_thumbnail_border_for_image_files.reg

Download

3. To Change Border of Thumbnail Previews for Image Files to Drop Shadow Border
    Note: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Default_shadow_thumbnail_border_for_image_files.reg

Download

4. To Change Border of Thumbnail Previews for Image Files to Video Reel Border
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Video_reel_thumbnail_border_for_image_files.reg

Download

5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. Restart explorer process to apply.

9. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Change Border of Thumbnail Previews for Video Files

Note The .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\video

Treatment DWORD

0 = No border
    1 or 2 = Shadow border
    3 = Video reel border (default)

1. Do step 2 (none), step 3 (shadow), or step 4 (video reel) below for what type of border you want.

2. To Change Border of Thumbnail Previews for Video Files to No Border

No_thumbnail_border_for_video_files.reg

Download

3. To Change Border of Thumbnail Previews for Video Files to Drop Shadow Border
    A) Click/tap on the download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Default_shadow_thumbnail_border_for_video_files.reg

Download

4. To Change Border of Thumbnail Previews for Video Files to Video Reel Border
    Note: This is the default setting.

Video_reel_thumbnail_border_for_video_files.reg

Download

5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. Restart explorer process to apply.

9. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jun 25, 2015

2. Disabling automatic black and white borders applied to photo thumbnails and native photo apps

Hi Jacob,

One of the possible reasons why you see borders on thumbnail previews is because of its
    image size. To better assist you with this issue, we need the answers to following questions:

• Do all of your pictures have the same image size?
    • Does the border also apply to videos in File Explorer?

In the meantime, you can try to change the icon size to see if the borders on images will disappear. To do this, simply follow the steps below:

• Right-click on your desktop and click on View.
    • Select Small icons.
    • Check File Explorer to see if the thumbnails still have borders.

We are looking forward to your response.

Jefferson Ore, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
    Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Dyan Rey Win User

Video preview thumbnails

Hello,

System file corruption is one of the possible reasons why thumbnail preview has recently disappeared. To better assist you, please answer the following:

• For clarification, are referring to video preview thumbnails when using File Explorer?
    • We would like to verify if you are referring to the Fall Creators Update. To see your
      Windows build and version, please follow the steps in this
      article

In the meantime, we suggest creating a Test User Profile. This is to see if the same issue occurs on a different user profile.

To create a Test User Profile, follow these steps:

• On Search, type Settings then hit the
      Enter
      key.
    • On Settings window, select Accounts.
    • Select Family & other people.
    • Select Add someone else to this PC.
    • Name the User Profile as TEST.
    • Assign a password for TEST user, then select Next.
    • Sign in TEST user.

We'll be waiting on the results.

Dyan Rey, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Preview and thumbnails of pdf files are not available

Hi Michelle, my name is Martin and I'm an Independent Advisor. I'll try to help you here.

Preview and Thumbnails of PDF files can be disabled on your PC . . .

I suggest that you follow steps below to enable this feature

Start Adobe Reader

Tap on Edit in the menu bar and select Preferences

Under Categories highlight General

Put the checkmark next to the box Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer

I also recommend the article - Enable thumbnail of PDFs in Windows Explorer to get further information

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/enable-pd...

Martin Jenkinss, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Disable Taskbar Thumbnail Preview?

Hey there,

I was just searching the internet for ways to disable the Taskbar Thumbnail Preview in Windows 10, and I found one that half-worked (only some apps use list view instead of thumbnails). I was wondering if there was a way to completely disable the preview?
    I am alright editing the registry.

Thanks,

Pointy

PointlessnessSteam, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Change Border of Thumbnail Previews in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Border Thumbnail

2. Folder Thumbnail Preview Changes?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folder Thumbnail Preview Changes?: Hello, I use an external HDD and created various media folders on there. I customized each folder and chose a file to show on the folder icon; however, the problem I get is that the preview seems to change on me. For example, if I view as extra large icons it displays as the...
  3. Folder Thumbnail Preview Changes?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder Thumbnail Preview Changes?: Hello, I use an external HDD and created various media folders on there. I customized each folder and chose a file to show on the folder icon; however, the problem I get is that the preview seems to change on me. For example, if I view as extra large icons it displays as the...
  4. Folder Thumbnail Preview Changes?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Thumbnail previews in WIndows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Thumbnail previews in WIndows 11: I am trying to sort some photos and have to open the individual folders, then the individual photo to see if it's the one I want out of thousands of photos. :O I tried the windows 10 method of checking and unchecking show thumbnails not icons and to no avail. What gives? I am...
  6. Unable to change icons into thumbnail previews

Unable to change icons into thumbnail previews: I have researched the heck out of this and I am having trouble with my picture files. I am only showing icons and not thumbnails and want to turn them back. I have unchecked 'always show icons instead of thumbnails', I have performed cmd prompt directions as I have seen...
  7. Thumbnail previews is not showing on Windows 10

Thumbnail previews is not showing on Windows 10: I can't see any of image in windows 10 if I want to see image i have to open it or image thumbnail are missing it is frustrating for opening every image...
  8. Thumbnail Preview Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Thumbnail Preview Windows 10: I've tried all the recommendation posts here on how to get photo thumbnails to show in folders rather than a generic photo icon, but nothing works or the path recommendation does not exist on my pc. I get a generic photo icon. I want a thumbnail of the photo....
  9. Windows 10 thumbnail previews

Windows 10 thumbnail previews: I have a strange issue, and I've seen a few posts sort of related to my issue, but nothing exactly like it. My issue is with the thumbnail previews for my .mp4 files, and my .mp3 files, but not my pictures. I correctly tag all my media whether it be video or music, and...
  10. Change File Type Icon in Thumbnail Preview

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change File Type Icon in Thumbnail Preview: I use Google SketchUp a lot and each new model/file I create, SketchUp makes a .skb back up file of the last save. I was able to create a subkey in the registry to associate a different icon file for the .skb files but it does not change the icon if the folder view is set to...