Windows 10: Change System Cooling Policy for Processor in Windows 10

Discus and support Change System Cooling Policy for Processor in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change System Cooling Policy for Processor in Windows 10 How to Change System Cooling Policy for Processor Power Management in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Cluster Head, May 31, 2016.

1. Change System Cooling Policy for Processor in Windows 10

How to: Change System Cooling Policy for Processor in Windows 10

How to Change System Cooling Policy for Processor Power Management in Windows 10

The System cooling policy setting under Processor power management in Power Options allows you to specify an active or passive cooling mode for your system.

[table][tr][td]System Cooling Policy[/td] [td]Description[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Active[/td] [td]Increase fan speed before slowing the processor.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Passive[/td] [td]Slow the processor before increasing fan speed.[/td] [/tr] [/table]

This tutorial will show you how to change the system cooling policy for processor power management in your active power plan in Windows 10.

*note This setting will affect all users that use the same active power plan scheme.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Change System Cooling Policy for Processor Power Management in Power Options
    • Option Two: To Change System Cooling Policy for Processor Power Management in Command Prompt

OPTION ONE [/i] To Change System Cooling Policy for Processor Power Management in Power Options
    1. Open your advanced power plan settings.

2. Expand open Processor power management and System cooling policy, select Active or Passive for what you want in the drop down(s), and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

Change System Cooling Policy for Processor in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] To Change System Cooling Policy for Processor Power Management in Command Prompt
    1. Open a command prompt.

2. Enter the command(s) below you want to use into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshots below)

(On battery: Passive)
    *Arrow powercfg /SETDCVALUEINDEX SCHEME_CURRENT 54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00 94d3a615-a899-4ac5-ae2b-e4d8f634367f 0

OR

(On battery: Active)
    *Arrow powercfg /SETDCVALUEINDEX SCHEME_CURRENT 54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00 94d3a615-a899-4ac5-ae2b-e4d8f634367f 1

AND/OR

(Plugged in: Passive)
    *Arrow powercfg /SETACVALUEINDEX SCHEME_CURRENT 54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00 94d3a615-a899-4ac5-ae2b-e4d8f634367f 0

OR

(Plugged in: Active)
    *Arrow powercfg /SETACVALUEINDEX SCHEME_CURRENT 54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00 94d3a615-a899-4ac5-ae2b-e4d8f634367f 1

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Cluster Head, May 31, 2016

2. After the last two updates, cooling fan runs non-stop!

Hi Spruce,

To resolve the issue, we suggest you follow the steps below:

1. Go to Control Panel ► All Control Panel Items ► Power Options.

2. Click change plan settings.

3. Click change advanced power settings.

4. Scroll down, expand processor power management.

5. Then, expand system cooling policy and change both to passive.

6. Then, reboot.

Let us know how it goes.

Jenicel Dri, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Change System Cooling Policy for Processor in Windows 10

Windows 10 error: "Windows couldn't connect to the Group Policy Client service. Please consult your system administrator"

Hi Rico,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with accessing the operating system.

Do let us know the following to assist you better:

• Which edition of Windows Operating System are you using?
    • What all the troubleshooting steps have you performed?
    • Have you installed all the pending updates on your Operating System?
    • Have you installed any third-party anti-virus software on your system?

I suggest you to try few of the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

I suggest you to Stop the Group Policy service, restart and set it to Automatic.

Group Policy Client service, this service is responsible for applying settings configured by administrators for the computers and users through the Group Policy component. If the service
    is disabled the settings will be applied and applications and components will not be manageable through Group Policy.

Step 1: Stop the Group Policy Client service.

• Press Windows Key + R on the keyboard and type
      services.msc
      , Services window gets opened.
    • Search for Group Policy Client service, right click on it and click on
      Stop.
    • Restart the computer.

Step 2: Start the service and set it to automatic:

• Press Windows Key + R on the keyboard and type
      services.msc
      , Services window gets opened.
    • Search for Group Policy Client service, right click on it and click on
      Properties.
    • Start the service, set
      Startup type to Automatic.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Could not able to change Maximum processor state

The options like Minimum Processor State and
    Maximum Processor State are not displayed under Processor Mangement in Advanced Power option. It displays only System cooling policy. I want to know the reason behind this and want to know
    How can I change my Maximum Processor State. Kindly help me please

Change System Cooling Policy for Processor in Windows 10 fc3f16f6-2698-4dc4-be58-cbbb3e66b2af.jpg

Sathish Selva, Oct 26, 2019
  6. chispy Win User
    Creative X-Fi Soundcards and Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709 = Complete Disaster / Not Working

Thank you for trying to help , i did tried your suggestion but it did not work :/ , nothing seems to make it work on Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709. In the meantime i have bought a new SoundBlasterX AE-5 and it did installed flawlessly , no problems whatsoever. it is up to Creative ( drivers ) and Microsoft ( bug fix ) to fix this huge bugs with Audio.

Kind Regards: Chispy

chispy, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Change System Cooling Policy for Processor in Windows 10

1. Change System Cooling Policy for Processor in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change System Cooling

2. Despite having 'Active' cooling policy with 'Minimum/Maximum processor states' at 100% CPU...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Despite having 'Active' cooling policy with 'Minimum/Maximum processor states' at 100% CPU...: My processor works fine up to 100% when plugged in and the fan whirrs away happily. But when I unplug the laptop the processor utilisation cuts down to 15% and stays there until plugged in again, with the fan ceasing to run entirely. The above image shows the results of...
  3. Despite having 'Active' cooling policy with 'Minimum/Maximum processor states' at 100% CPU...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Despite having 'Active' cooling policy with 'Minimum/Maximum processor states' at 100% CPU...: My processor works fine up to 100% when plugged in and the fan whirrs away happily. But when I unplug the laptop the processor utilisation cuts down to 15% and stays there until plugged in again, with the fan ceasing to run entirely. The above image shows the results of...
  4. Despite having 'Active' cooling policy with 'Minimum/Maximum processor states' at 100% CPU...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Where did the System Cooling Policy option go in Windows 11 advanced power plan settings?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where did the System Cooling Policy option go in Windows 11 advanced power plan settings?: In Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings and "change advanced power settings", under "Processor power management" the System Cooling Policy option is missing, where did it go?where can i see what is my current system cooling policy setting?...
  6. Where did the System Cooling Policy option go in Windows 11 advanced power plan settings?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Where did the System Cooling Policy option go in Windows 11 advanced power plan settings?: In Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings and "change advanced power settings", under "Processor power management" the System Cooling Policy option is missing, where did it go?where can i see what is my current system cooling policy setting?...
  7. Processor changing..

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Processor changing..: Hi is possible to change the procesor and ram on a asus x540ma intel celeron n4000 4gb ram 1.10 GHz x2 ? Idk if this is the correct category[IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/processor-changing/a4e21689-fb94-4601-b286-f0b567e4c04d
  8. Change System Cooling Policy for Processor – Passive or Active

in Windows 10 News
    Change System Cooling Policy for Processor – Passive or Active: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Be it Desktop or Laptop, it’s important to conserve power. One of the ways it can be done is using the System Cooling Policy. Since Desktops are always plugged in, it becomes even necessary to save power when you are [...] This post Change System Cooling...
  9. Windows 10; Changes to GROUP POLICY pathways

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10; Changes to GROUP POLICY pathways: Currently, I am running W10 Version 1809 OS build 17763.55 on two laptops. Recently, I am getting an error code 0x80070643 while updating Windows. Researching this code it indicates that I need to create a different pathway in the GROUP POLICY settings in order to work around...
  10. Add or Remove System cooling policy from Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove System cooling policy from Power Options in Windows: How to: Add or Remove System cooling policy from Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "System cooling policy" from Power Options in Windows The Power Options allows users to specify an active or passive cooling mode for the system. System Cooling Policy...