Windows 10: Windows 10 install broke network connections to printers & documents

Discus and support Windows 10 install broke network connections to printers & documents in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, My small office (six people) upgraded to Windows 10 about four months ago, when one user was tricked into the upgrade, and the rest of us... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by 3point1, Sep 27, 2016.

1. 3point1 Win User

Windows 10 install broke network connections to printers & documents

Hello,

My small office (six people) upgraded to Windows 10 about four months ago, when one user was tricked into the upgrade, and the rest of us followed suit so we'd all be using the same OS. We all have Dell Optiplex 980 desktops that were purchased about five years ago. Four out of six are connected to a software server installed about nine months ago; we all connect to the internet through a switch.

Since the Windows 10 upgrade we've had nothing but headaches with our network. We have two basic issues that I have been unable to resolve:1) Most of us cannot access each other's desktop printers, although we can all access the one printer that's networked directly through the switch. For the most part the printers are not appearing "on the server".
    2) Most of us cannot access each other's documents, although there are two computers that use a very old (pre-Y2K) utility software, and those folders can be accessed by all users!
    Also, not a problem but more of a symptom, is that when looking in CP Devices & Printers, only two computers show up under the Multimedia Devices area, when all six computers should be there.

I can guess there may be a group policy setting that's out of whack, but I don't know how to modify group policy or how to troubleshoot it.

I have reviewed this thread Latest networking issue caused by KB3189866 and KB3185614 and find that only two of us have one of the KBs installed (KB3189866), with no apparent connection noted between its presence and ability to access other users, since one of the two users can connect to other computers and the other user cannot.

:)

3point1, Sep 27, 2016

2. wireless printer

Have you downloaded and installed the latest Windows 10 driver?

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL345...

Step 1: Prepare for installation

Before setting up the printer on your wireless network, gather the network name and password, and turn on your router, printer, and computer.

Gather the following items:

Network name: The network name is the SSID.

Security passphrase (WEP key or WPA)

A computer that is connected to the wireless network

Internet access (recommended): HP recommends broadband Internet access such as cable or DSL.

note:

Internet access is not required for you to install your printer with a wireless connection. However, you do need Internet access to use Web Services, get printer updates, and to download drivers from the HP website.

Your wireless-capable printer: Place it close to the computer during the installation procedure.

Make sure the printer, router, and computer are all turned on, and that the computer is connected to the same wireless network you want to connect the printer to.

Disconnect the USB cable if it is connected to the printer.

Optional: If you previously installed the software for a USB connection and now want to change to a wireless network connection, remove the USB installation before you continue.

Search Windows for your printer model name, then click the printer name in the list of results.

The printer software opens.

Click Utilities, then click Printer Setup & Software Selection.

Click Convert a USB connected printer to wireless or Connect a new printer depending on your version of Windows.

Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the connection. Once the printer has been set up on the wireless network, there is no need to continue with the steps in this document.

Step 2: Connect your wireless printer to a wireless network

Connect your printer to your wireless network using the following steps.

Search Windows for your printer model name, then click the printer name in the list of results.

The printer software opens.

Click Utilities, then click Printer Setup & Software Selection.

If you previously installed the software for a USB connection and now want to change to a wireless network connection, remove the USB installation before you continue

Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the connection. Once the printer has been set up on the wireless network, there is no need to continue with the steps in this document.

Step 3: Download and install the printer software

Andre Da Costa, Sep 27, 2016
  3. Cesar1007 Win User
    Is it possible to add a print job while disconnected from printer?

Is it possible to print a document and add it to queue while disconnected from the printer (network printer) so that when the printer is connected, the job is then printed?

Before our windows 10 upgrade from windows 7, an employee was able to print a document while out on the field. Then when the employee would come back and connect to the network, the document would print automatically.

Cesar1007, Sep 27, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Did you remove those KB's from all machines, then reboot and see if that fixes it? As for printers, you really are better off having a Network printer for say two workers each, and say a color one for manager or special login profile only. Having the printers attached to each machine, means that they have to be on at all times and you always risk something causing problems down the road. Same thing with File sharing, which should be hosted through a NAS.

bro67, Sep 28, 2016
  5. 3point1 Win User
    No, because my machine is one of the two that has KB3189866, and my machine is the ONLY one talking to the others and I didn't want to risk breaking the connection. What if I remove the KB from the other machine that has it?

We have each always had small deskjets at our workstations, and they are useful. We only turn them on when they are needed, so most of the time they are off. Our main networked printer (which isn't giving us any trouble) handles 99% of the workload. We just want the things that worked before upgrading to Win 10 to work again.

3point1, Sep 28, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    SMB/CFS sharing can be messed up if the printers are offline when you boot the machine or log in without a reboot. Also any kind of workstation Security software can cause problems.

bro67, Sep 28, 2016
  7. 3point1 Win User
    You're talking a bit over my head. Does this apply to our situation? We have never had an issue with our printers before Win 10.

3point1, Sep 29, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

Yes it does apply, because Windows requires SMB/CFS to communicate between machines for shares and printers.

bro67, Sep 29, 2016
  9. 3point1 Win User
    bro67, am I understanding correctly that you are suggesting we purchase a NAS (Network Attached Storage) device? Or are you suggesting we get rid of half our printers? I'm not sure what you're suggesting as a fix for our situation, but buying new hardware/throwing away printers seems a bit over the top to fix something Windows 10 broke.

3point1, Sep 29, 2016
  10. bro67 Win User
    No, that is an option and can be done with a spare computer running NethServer or Zentyal. If you want to purchase a NAS, the best one that I have found is the Synology DIS216+2. It has everything you need and can handle up to 8TB drives and offers an eSATA port.

As long as the printer works with CUPS, you would have a better print server in the long run and more secured, since you can assign user's ID's and keep track of material costs for ink or toner and paper through the auditing part of CUPS.

Windows 10 did not break anything. Microsoft broke their own OS by thinking that the security was broken. That is why it has been one nightmare after another and why so many companies are still sticking with Windows 7. The government decided to go with 10 and those who handle IT tickets on the bases and ships are hating it right now.

bro67, Sep 30, 2016
  11. 3point1 Win User
    We don't have an "extra" computer, nor do we have the space to set it up if we did have one; and we are not looking for external storage. But thank you for your input.

I'm still looking for a solution.

3point1, Sep 30, 2016
  12. I have a Printer that 8 laptops and 4 smart phones can all access all via WI-FI, it prints every thing we throw at it, HP even sends us new ink as soon as it knows it is getting low.
    So my solution is use Printer via WI-FI

hTconeM9user, Sep 30, 2016
  13. 3point1 Win User

Thank you for the suggestion, but our computers do not have wifi adapters, so that will not be a solution for us. We need a fix that works for a wired network.

3point1, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 install broke network connections to printers & documents - Similar Threads - install broke network

2. Printer is not connecting to network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Printer is not connecting to network: After cumulative windows updates my printer is not connecting to network. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-is-not-connecting-to-network/0e633272-dbf3-4b55-bebe-77263a710010
  3. Printer is not connecting to network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Printer is not connecting to network: After cumulative windows updates my printer is not connecting to network. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-is-not-connecting-to-network/0e633272-dbf3-4b55-bebe-77263a710010
  4. Printer is not connecting to network

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. windows 10 can't connect printer to network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 10 can't connect printer to network: windows 10 can't connect printer to network or print from hp 2722 deskjet printer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-cant-connect-printer-to-network/21438f1a-b468-438a-9b0c-f2af2f1a93fc
  6. windows 10 can't connect printer to network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 10 can't connect printer to network: windows 10 can't connect printer to network or print from hp 2722 deskjet printer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-cant-connect-printer-to-network/21438f1a-b468-438a-9b0c-f2af2f1a93fc
  7. windows 10 can't connect printer to network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Windows 10 network printer connect problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 network printer connect problem: My DNP DS40 network printer has stopped connecting after the last two Windows 10 updates. Error says it cannot connect to the printer because it cannot find its driver. Printer can be seen on the ethernet network but it can not find its driver so it can not connect....
  9. Connect a Network Printer

Connect a Network Printer: Hi, I have two computers and each one has its own printer. They are connected in the same network. How can I connect to the other computer's printer? I can't seem to figure this out.......
  10. Creator broke my network connections

Creator broke my network connections: in 1607 I had 4 devices, 2 laptops, 2 desktops. One desktop is a server of sorts, not running server s/w. All others could connect to it. Upgrade to Creator (Nothing else changed) and now no one can talk to the server. one laptop show it, the other does not. If I click on...