Windows 10: Windows 10 install disk does not recognize SSD

Discus and support Windows 10 install disk does not recognize SSD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I want to clean install Windows 10 on another hard drive. When the custom dialogue comes up and it asks me which hard drive I want it to go on to, it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gordoncanada, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Windows 10 install disk does not recognize SSD

I want to clean install Windows 10 on another hard drive. When the custom dialogue comes up and it asks me which hard drive I want it to go on to, it does not give me the hard drive I want to put it on as an option. It is a 160 GB SSD. Windows 10 was registering it as a removable drive. I have a dual boot system and Windows 7 does not register it as a removable drive. It' s been working well as in internal drive for a couple of years until this Windows 10 thing.
    Any ideas what to do?
    I installed the drive for Windows 10 in the first place and it's been a spare drive until now. I've had Windows 7 installed on it as a test.
    Thanks for any ideas

:)

gordoncanada, Aug 10, 2015

2. Error code: 0xC000000e during Windows 10 installation via bootable USB.

I installed an SSD(look for disk manager pic below) on my laptop and I want to have windows 10 and Ubuntu on the SSD. I already have Windows 10 on my HDD but I tried installing windows 10 on my SSD anyway. But When the setup reaches 'Finishing up' phase
    of installation it reboots and gives the error mentioned above.

I tried troubleshooting by selecting 'startup repair' in advanced settings. Did not work.

I tried troubleshooting through command prompt using commands fixmbr, fixboot, and rebuildbcd(this command said recognized installations found:0).

I can still boot the OS on HDD without problems.

What should I do now to install windows 10 on my SSD?

Disk 0 is the HDD, Disk 1 is the SSD and disk 2 is my usb pendrive.

Windows 10 install disk does not recognize SSD [​IMG]

Hemanth Kumar.H.P, Aug 10, 2015
  3. bbbl3 Win User
    new installed SDD drive "not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match"

Hi

I have just installed a new SSD drive in my machine. I am experienceing trouble getting it recognizes in windows 10. There is a possible conflict with a USB storage unit (garmin gps) that mounts itself when connected to my computer.

The new SSD drive itself is probably ok. A linux system on the same machine (dual boot) will also it and use it normally.

The SSD is also recognized in administrative tools > device manager > disk drives, which reports that the unit is functioning normally.

However, the SSD is not recognized in disk management, which is essential for formatting the disk and assigning drive letters and such and getting it to work.

I have been reading too many pages on the net today, including on this site, trying to figure out what is wrong, but I cannot find anything really helpdul. On my own, I have discoered that in the information panel for the unit in administrative tools >
    device manager > disk drives, there is an error message, which states:

Device SCSI\Disk&Ven_&Prod_CT500MX500SSD1\4&2cc710e7&0&010000 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Last Device Instance Id: USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_Garmin&Prod_GARMIN_Flash&Rev_1.00\0000e8a51737&0

Class Guid: {4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Location Path:

Migration Rank: 0xF000FC00FFFFF130

Present: false

This is obviously not related to my SSD drive (which is installed at Bus number 1, Target Id 0m LUN 0), but it refers to a garmin USB device (a GPS) that mounts itself as two disks when connected to my computer. I don't really know why, but it seems like
    this is blocking my SSD drive from being recognized by Windows disk manangement.

So, my questions:

1) what does it mean that the device is not migrated anyway? I see that in some older posts there are discussions related to migrating from windows 7, 8 to windows 10 - but this computer was born on windows 10 and the windows installation has not been migrated.
    I am looking for someone to explain what these words mean when used by windows in this context.

2) where does the information about the USB drive come from? Windows must store it somewhere. Can it be deleted/forgotten/reset so that my SSD can be mounted as if there never was a USB drive messing things up? The new SSD is more important to
    me than the old USB unit, I will happily solve the SSD problem first and then see what can be done with the Garmin Gps later....

Desired result: able to locate the drive in disk management, format it and assign a valid drive letter to it.

bbbl3, Aug 10, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Windows 10 install disk does not recognize SSD

Are there properties for the SSD that you can change in BIOS?

NavyLCDR, Aug 10, 2015
  5. Bazz Win User
    I misread the post sorry thought you had upgraded you need to do that first.

6. bobkn Win User
    A semi-random thought: is the controller the drive is on (SATA, probably) set up as hot swappable?

The Win 10 installer may not like that.

bobkn, Aug 10, 2015
  7. Ztruker Win User
    To qualify for the free Windows 10, you have to complete an upgrade install and activate it, so if it has a legal, activated Windows 7 on it now, upgrade that to Windows 10.
    Boot Windows 7 on the SSD then insert the flash drive and run setup.exe from it. That will start the upgrade.

Uninstall any anti-virus on the Win 7 SSD, firewall too.
    Disconnect everything except mouse, keyboard and display.

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 install disk does not recognize SSD

1. Windows 10 install disk does not recognize SSD - Similar Threads - install disk does

2. SSD not recognized on windows 10 clean install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD not recognized on windows 10 clean install: Hi all,I've read so many similar threads on this topic and have seemed to try them all without success. I am upgrading my dad's computer for Christmas but am running into this issue. I have opted to do a clean windows 10 install to the new NVME. The drive appears formatted to...
  3. Does Windows 10 or 11 disk optimization routine recognize an SD card as SSD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Does Windows 10 or 11 disk optimization routine recognize an SD card as SSD?: I have an SD card in my Surface Pro 6 configured in device manager as a separate D:\ USB NTFS mass storage device. Does the Windows Optimize Drives schedule treat it as an SSD or as a spinning drive? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I think the best-practice defragmentation...
  4. Does Windows 10 or 11 disk optimization routine recognize an SD card as SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does Windows 10 or 11 disk optimization routine recognize an SD card as SSD?: I have an SD card in my Surface Pro 6 configured in device manager as a separate D:\ USB NTFS mass storage device. Does the Windows Optimize Drives schedule treat it as an SSD or as a spinning drive? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I think the best-practice defragmentation...
  5. Does Windows 10 or 11 disk optimization routine recognize an SD card as SSD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Does Windows 10 or 11 disk defragment recognize an SD card as SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does Windows 10 or 11 disk defragment recognize an SD card as SSD?: I have an SD card in my Surface Pro 6 configured in device manager as a separate D:\ USB NTFS mass storage device. Does the Windows Optimize Drives schedule treat it as an SSD or as a spinning drive? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I think the best-practice defragmentation...
  7. Does Windows 10 or 11 disk defragment recognize an SD card as SSD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does Windows 10 or 11 disk defragment recognize an SD card as SSD?: I have an SD card in my Surface Pro 6 configured in device manager as a separate D:\ USB NTFS mass storage device. Does the Windows Optimize Drives schedule treat it as an SSD or as a spinning drive? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I think the best-practice defragmentation...
  8. Does Windows 10 or 11 disk defragment recognize an SD card as SSD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. Windows Installer not recognizing SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Installer not recognizing SSD: Just got this laptop with no OS, Asus VivoBook S 14" S433EQ with an intel ssdpeknw 512gb ssd Bios recognizes ssd, i can easily install linux and format said ssd on it, but the owner of this computer needs windows on it, only problem is that when i try to install windows on...
  10. SSD not recognized by Windows 10 installer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD not recognized by Windows 10 installer: Recently I've purchased a SSD (Crucial MX200) as replacement for the original HD of my laptop (Lenovo ideapad s510p). The problem is that my bios doesn't recognize the SSD, even though the manufacturer (Crucial) guarantee the total compatibility of the device with my system...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. lenovo flex 5-1570 crucial mx500 2tb ssd drive not recognized in windows

2. crucial mx500 problem win 10

3. crucial ssd windows 10

4. install ssd to recognise,
  5. windows 10 install disk does not-recognize ssd,
  6. kb4493464 cannot install,
  7. my bootable windows dvd not recognizing my ssd