Windows 10: windows 10 install on portable hard drive

Discus and support windows 10 install on portable hard drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Is there a way that I could download a version of windows 10 and install it on my portable hard drive as a trial or test before I buy the OS and find... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ryuunga, Aug 22, 2018.

1. ryuunga Win User

windows 10 install on portable hard drive

Is there a way that I could download a version of windows 10 and install it on my portable hard drive as a trial or test before I buy the OS and find out my PC cannot run it or something weird like that happens? i know that you can put the real version on a portable HDD, but I want to make sure i can get it to work first.

:)

ryuunga, Aug 22, 2018
  2. Geethu B Win User

Portable hard drive and windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I understand that you have an issue with connecting
    portable hard drive in Windows 10.
    I will surely help you to fix this issue.

To understand the issue better, I would need more information from your end.

• Is the hard drive getting detected on the computer?

• Do you face any issue while using other USB devices?
    This issue could have occurred due to these reasons:

1. Missing Windows Update.

2. USB port is damaged.

3. Damaged hardware.

Try the steps listed here:

Method 1:

I suggest you to run hardware troubleshooter and check if it helps.

a) Press Windows Key.

b) Type Troubleshooting in the search box and hit
    Enter.

c) Click on Hardware and sound.

d) Click on Hardware and device and follow the on-screen instructions.

Method 2:

If the issue persists, I suggest you to install all the available Windows Updates and also latest chipset driver from the computer manufacturer website. You may also try connecting the hard drive to a different USB port.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Aug 22, 2018
  3. little cat, Aug 22, 2018
  4. windows 10 install on portable hard drive

Samsung M3 portable hard drive not getting recognised on Windows 10.

Hi,

Thank you for your response with the current status of the issue.

To assist you better, please provide us the below information

• Have you tried to uninstall and reinstall the external hard drive on the computer?
    • Are you logged into the Administrator Account while assigning the driver letter to the external hard drive?

I recommend you to follow the steps below to update all the pending Windows updates and also try to reinstall the hard drive driver in the Device Manager. Check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to update all the pending Windows updates in the computer and check if it helps.

1. Click on Start Menu.

2. Then select Settings.

3. Choose Update & security >
    Windows Update
    >Check for updates. Install any available updates and restart your PC if required.

Step 2: I recommend you to uninstall and reinstall the Hard drive as suggested in the previous post. Also you can run Hardware and Device troubleshooter.

Step 3: Then try to boot the computer in safe mode and check if the hard drive is getting recgonized in it or not.

Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Please get back to us with an update on issue in connecting External hard drive into Windows 10, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Aug 22, 2018
Thema:

windows 10 install on portable hard drive

1. windows 10 install on portable hard drive - Similar Threads - install portable hard

2. Download Photos to Portable Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Download Photos to Portable Hard Drive: I am wanting to just export my photos to an portable hard drive, but "OneDrive" isn't allowing me to access my photos. I keep getting the message "We sent your device a notification to connect." I don't have admin access to my computer, as it is a work computer, so I can't...
  3. Download Photos to Portable Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Download Photos to Portable Hard Drive: I am wanting to just export my photos to an portable hard drive, but "OneDrive" isn't allowing me to access my photos. I keep getting the message "We sent your device a notification to connect." I don't have admin access to my computer, as it is a work computer, so I can't...
  4. Backup to a portable hard drive using Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backup to a portable hard drive using Windows 10: When I backup my pc Windows 10 to a portable hard drive, do the files I have deleted from my pc since my last backup remain on my portable hard drive? moved from Microsoft 365 and office...
  5. Portable hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Portable hard drive: Someone previously saved my hard drive contents to a portable external drive. That was a year ago, and I want to update what is saved. I don't know how to do that. Help please?...
  6. Portable hard drive visible but not accessible

Portable hard drive visible but not accessible: Hey tech wizards! A Seagate freeagent go successfully accessed five days ago now shows up in file explorer as the Local Disk D: and Windows 10 dings when attached via USB. Selecting the drive produces the circle of death and progress bar in file explorer's drive path. In...
  7. portable hard drive to USB

portable hard drive to USB: I have a portable hard drive and I am using a USB sync and charge cable. It lights up and flashes but doesn't show in File Explorer. It shows in Devices and printers but can't access it. Tried each USB port and on 2 laptops. Any advice please...
  8. portable hard drive concern

portable hard drive concern: Hi, I've got a number of portable hard drives but they are often not really portable, I only use them home but from time to time, especially for the Seagate one, where it didn't come with rubber pads at the bottom, from time to time, I could accidentally move it a little bit...
  9. USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive

USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive: my computer tells me it is connected but It will not pull up the contents of the hard drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/usb-30-portable-hard-drive/6d81eff8-30de-4c8c-af1b-a320eff49697
  10. Recommendations On: PORTABLE EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES

Recommendations On: PORTABLE EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES: Ello Folks! Looking to get the Portable Hard-drive thats right for me. I want to mainly keep documents on this and some other stuff. Like pictures but not a ton. Mainly documents in PDF format. I want this mainly to keep all my licensing and regulatory stuff all in one...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 install to portable hdd