Windows 10: Windows 10 Install says I don't have enough space

Discus and support Windows 10 Install says I don't have enough space in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a 2 terrabyte HD as a backup/file server in my machine. My C drive is a 500 gig SSD. I partitioned the HD and left 625 gigs for Win10. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mac173173, Oct 6, 2014.

1. mac173173 Win User

Windows 10 Install says I don't have enough space

I have a 2 terrabyte HD as a backup/file server in my machine. My C drive is a 500 gig SSD. I partitioned the HD and left 625 gigs for Win10.
    I originally had a problem because my BIOS was not set to Legacy, but I fixed that.
    NOW the install program says I don't have enough space to install the program. I have 625 gigs.
    I also tried selecting my SSD, which has a 24 gig partition, and got the same message.

How do I get past that?

:)

mac173173, Oct 6, 2014

2. Error Code 0x80070070 Wrong

I keep getting error code 0x080070070 which says I don't have enough disk space but I do!!! In the begging of updating to the new version of windows 10 which is version 15063 but then at the end of the process it says I don't have enough disk space. Please
    help!!!!

MadisonSchultz, Oct 6, 2014
  3. Windows says I dont have enough storage space but I do

Im trying to move a folder from one hard drive to another and when I do I get this:
    Windows 10 Install says I don't have enough space [​IMG]

It's in Portuguese but its saying I need 6,00GB when I have 9,19GB free.

GilGardner, Oct 6, 2014
  4. Windows 10 Install says I don't have enough space

How are you installing? As the primary OS, dual boot, or VM?

This might be a problem:
    My C drive is a 500 gig SSD. I partitioned the HD and left 625 gigs for Win10.

I'm sure you meant something else ... *Wink
    No, I get it - the HD / SSD difference.

Is the 2TB HD external?

Slartybart, Oct 6, 2014
  5. mac173173 Win User
    The 2TB is internal. It used to be my primary drive and has Win 7 on it. I installed the SSD and made it the primary drive in the BIOS, but Win 7 on the HDD is still bootable. I partitioned that drive and left a 625 partition to install 10.

Both my SSD and HDD are MBR drives. I am not sure how this happened, but Win10 would not install on either. I found a setting in the BIOS to enable Legacy drives, and the install program stopped giving me the error message that my drive was MBR.

NOW, when I select the 625 gig partition and try to install, it says the drive does not have enough room to install the OS. Take a look at the pic to see Disk Management window.

mac173173, Oct 6, 2014
  6. topgundcp Win User
    You can try to create a partition on the 625GB first, assign a letter then try again.

topgundcp, Oct 6, 2014
  7. Thanks for the disk management shot - it's a big help

Is Win7 on both drives?

A few things I'd try first:

I'm not sure which active partition (System Reserve on Disk 0 or Data on Disk 1) the machine uses to bootstrap. Probably System Reserve on Disk 0. This is a common misconfiguration when people do not remove a physical drive before installing a new drive.

Disconnect the HD (Disk 0)
    Connect the SSD to the port that the HDD was connected - should be Disk 0 now

See if the machine will start - if it does not then see this tutorial
    Startup Repair - Windows 7 Help Forums

Run the startup repair 3 times - without restarting - even if it says Ok.

Reconnect the HDD - should be disk 1 now
    Stop here and post another disk mgmnt screen shot.

Slartybart, Oct 6, 2014
  8. mac173173 Win User

Ok, follow along this, it's convoluted.
    I disconnected the HDD (Disk 0). The machine booted, no problem. I shut down the machine, reconnected the HDD and got this......

So, I shut down, disconnected the HDD, and rebooted with only the one drive and got this....

THEN, I reconnected the HDD with the machine running (don't yell, I know...) and got this....

YAY. But, being the skeptic that I am, I rebooted.......

So apparently my machine really, really wants that HDD as (Disk 0).
    Know any way to make it change its mind?

mac173173, Oct 7, 2014
  9. topgundcp Win User
    You have both disks marked as Active and you also have 2 reserved 100 MB partitions. Only one disk should be marked Active.

topgundcp, Oct 7, 2014
  10. mac, could you do me a favor and change the label on the HDD 100 MB part to something this old brain can easily identify as the HDD part? Maybe HDD_100MB would be something I can wrap my head around.

This doesn't have anything to do with solving the issue, but I can be easily confused when looking at disk mgmnt shots.

Thanks - don't sweat it .. it's not really important.

Post 5 and 7 are more germane to the issue - where you physically connect the SSD and changing the active flag. If your machine won't boot - see post# 5 re: Startup repair - three times!

Bill

Slartybart, Oct 7, 2014
  11. mac173173 Win User
    Thanks, I am posting this from Windows 10. Switching the wires and running Repair did the trick. I had tried to just make the SSD active, but that made the machine unbootable. Switching the wires was kind of involved (fat hands, big vid card, yadda, yadda....) but that worked.

Thanks very much for the help, I never would have gotten this install done without your help.

mac173173, Oct 8, 2014
  12. topgundcp Win User
    Glad that we could help. Thanks for reporting back

topgundcp, Oct 8, 2014
  13. Windows 10 Install says I don't have enough space

Glad it's sorted ... sort of.

You might still have some boot issues if you change the drives. The active partition (par) should stay with the boot par, either on the system reserve (preferred) or on the boot par - both should be on the SSD. I don't know how the relationship of the pars to the boot loader.

If I works and you're satisfied, great. You should probably straighten it out now (if it needs to be) instead of months or years from now.

Your choice - members are here to help you.

Bill

Slartybart, Oct 8, 2014
  14. mac173173 Win User
    Slarty, I do have some unusual boot effects, so your info is prolly right on. The machine boots to the WIN10 boot loader, which is most likely on (Disk 1) where the WIN10 partition is. If I choose WIN7, the machine reboots, but without the choice of OS. I think this is the WIN7 bootloader. It is working, but I am sure I will have to fix this in the future. I think for now I will run it as is. My wife uses my computer now and then, and is not technically talented. I have to leave the machine booted to 7 when I am done.
    I can't run both on the SSD as there is not enough room. I made a 625 gig partition because I plan to download and play all my MMO's on WIN10 to test them out, and I need at least 400 gig for that alone. I have a couple of Legacy games I would also like to test (Everquest, DAoC, etc.) and I will need the additional space.

Thanks for the advice.

mac173173, Oct 8, 2014
  15. topgundcp Win User
    The way you have it setup. If you want to boot into 7, you might have to mark Disk 0 Inactive and mark Disk 1 Active

topgundcp, Oct 9, 2014
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Install says I don't have enough space - Similar Threads - Install says don't

2. it's telling me that i don't have enough space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    it's telling me that i don't have enough space: i downloaded the game from steam and downloaded 100 gb from it , then i restarted my pc and tried to resume the download but it tells me that i need more space , before i restarted there was 15 gb remaining and i have 28 gb....
  3. it's telling me that i don't have enough space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    it's telling me that i don't have enough space: i downloaded the game from steam and downloaded 100 gb from it , then i restarted my pc and tried to resume the download but it tells me that i need more space , before i restarted there was 15 gb remaining and i have 28 gb....
  4. Not Enough space! :Installation

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Not Enough space! :Installation: Hello!I hope you're reading this! You can help!I recently downloaded MSFS 2020, which is 77 GB. But I installed it on my D drive, which has 100 GB left. So it is now impossible to extract the zip file of MSFS 2020 without encountering the "not enough disk space" problem! I...
  5. Not Enough space! :Installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not Enough space! :Installation: Hello!I hope you're reading this! You can help!I recently downloaded MSFS 2020, which is 77 GB. But I installed it on my D drive, which has 100 GB left. So it is now impossible to extract the zip file of MSFS 2020 without encountering the "not enough disk space" problem! I...
  6. Not Enough space! :Installation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Installing Windows not enough space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing Windows not enough space: Sorry for the terrible photo. I'm trying to reinstall windows on my m.2 drive which I have formatted already but it's telling me that 465.8GB is not enough space?...
  8. PC Crashed. Windows says I don't have enough space to reformat???

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC Crashed. Windows says I don't have enough space to reformat???: Title says it all. I went to turn on my PC and it went into the Windows recovery menu. I tried all of the repair options and was left with reformatting the hard drive... which apparently I don't have enough space to do. I've never heard of this and I don't see how having...
  9. Windows 10 install says not enough space to upgrade or system restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 install says not enough space to upgrade or system restore: I think that I have made a mess of my new Laptop Computer, unfortunately. I bought it a couple of years ago. My Desktop Computer recently got a blue screen after just trying to do a System Restore on it, and I was unable to fix it to get it working again. I tried everything....
  10. I don't have enough space to download windows 10 despite having done a complete factory...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I don't have enough space to download windows 10 despite having done a complete factory...: I did a complete factory reset of my hp laptop so I could have enough space to download windows There are no extra files saved onto the laptop, no new apps or documents. I even uninstalled apps that came with the laptop, however there is still not enough space. This is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. error code:080070070