Windows 10: Windows 10 Install Seems Huge, Over 70GB

Discus and support Windows 10 Install Seems Huge, Over 70GB in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I've got a relatively new 10 install, not many programs and no personal files. I've used it a little to clone some drives and test video cards and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by CTPhil, Jul 11, 2016.

1. CTPhil Win User

Windows 10 Install Seems Huge, Over 70GB

I've got a relatively new 10 install, not many programs and no personal files. I've used it a little to clone some drives and test video cards and that's it. Despite that it is taking up 74GB on the C drive! I've taken a look to find if there is anything obvious like an old build (there isn't). Is there a good tool to sort out what's taking up the space? Any sort of 10 decrapifying utility? How normal is this?

Thanks.

:)

CTPhil, Jul 11, 2016
  2. gistsc Win User

Tried to install Windows 10, got error C1900101-20004

Had the same issue exactly, read all through this thread. Solution for me, I had only the main partition on C:, shrunk that partition by 70gb to leave room for Windows 10 install. I did not format or assign a letter to it, just left the 70gb free. Started
    the install tool in this thread, and it worked. Seems the install needs room on separate partition. Also verified my C: was basic, not dynamic. Hope this helps some of you.

gistsc, Jul 11, 2016
  3. KierL Win User
    Why is Windows Store's download speed so slow?

Gears of War 4 is 116.7 gb, no longer 70gb. I've been downloading it for over 8 hours and currently on 80gb. It's a pain.

KierL, Jul 11, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

Try this to find what takes most space: Download TreeSize Free - MajorGeeks
    A very good and safe program to clean up stuff most other programs miss: Download UnCleaner - MajorGeeks

CountMike, Jul 11, 2016
  5. CTPhil Win User
    Thank you, I'll try those.

CTPhil, Jul 11, 2016
  6. Mystere Win User
    Most likely, you are talking about how much disk space in total is used. What's in your Windows (and Program Files) folders are largely what is the "OS". The rest of the space is likely taken up by Swap file and Hiberfile. The size of these depends on how much memory you have, but the more memory you have the larger these files will be.

Mystere, Jul 11, 2016
  7. CTPhil Win User
    Well this is embarrassing. As usual the problem was operator stupidity. *Sad

I downloaded and ran TreeSize Free and immediately found that buried in Documents and Settings were all of my personal files...from 2014! I don't remember ever doing anything but a clean install, but obviously those files came from installing on one of my old personal drives. Now I need to wipe and reclone 5 drives after doing a clean install to clone from. Ah well, it's certainly not the first time and probably won't be the last. *Smile

Thank you for the help!

CTPhil, Jul 11, 2016
  8. CountMike New Member

Good, first thing is to find what. After you finish deleting or moving those files run Uncleaner, you'll be surprised ho much junk is left after emptying the bin.

CountMike, Jul 11, 2016
  9. CTPhil Win User
    I'll try uncleaner on other machines. For this I'm going to wipe the drive and start completely over to be really secure. That Documents and Settings file contains login info for Firefox that I don't want even remotely recoverable.

CTPhil, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Install Seems Huge, Over 70GB - Similar Threads - Install Seems Huge

2. huge windows 10 search

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    huge windows 10 search: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/GMMitenka [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l85c34/huge_windows_10_search/
  3. Installing windows 10 over feren

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing windows 10 over feren: Hello. I got an used computer with feren on it and i cant install windows 10 over it. Could i get some tips or something how to delete feren or how to download windows over it...
  4. Microsoft Windows 10 Seems Confused About Accounts Over LAN

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft Windows 10 Seems Confused About Accounts Over LAN: Hi, So, first a little background. I've been running a home network since the late 90's, variously using 98, XP, Vista, 7 and now finally 10 over the years. I've never had so many problems with basic network functionality until these last two years. But this isn't a gripe...
  5. huge mouse-over thumbnail preview windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    huge mouse-over thumbnail preview windows 10: Hi*, I am seeing huge mouse-over thumbnail preview windows 10 - Any help or ideas please? Thanks.[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/huge-mouse-over-thumbnail-preview-windows-10/28998992-d4ac-4b9c-87aa-e84316176e0e
  6. Huge, Seemingly Unfixable Ping Spikes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Huge, Seemingly Unfixable Ping Spikes: I usually have a relatively stable ping of around 15-30ms whenever using my PC, but in the last week or so, this weird problem has popped up that causes my ping to spike in the thousands. I've tried everything. I've ran SFC scans and DISM, I've updated and downgraded the...
  7. 70GB missing off 250GB SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    70GB missing off 250GB SSD: Ive just realised after coming home off xmas hols that there is a 70GB UNALLOCATED partition at the end of my 250GB Samsung EVO SSD, I cnnot MERGE it to the useable C:\ partition because one of the 4 Windows created and needed partitions is now not at the start of the disk...
  8. Windows 10 install seems hung on install

Windows 10 install seems hung on install: I just installed Windows 10 on my 64 bit system and seem to have a hang--.the screen is flickering on and off with the background up, Cortana and task bar up but no icons. The spinning circle is on and I cannot click the task bar successfully. Has been going on for 8 hours...
  9. HUGE %WINDIR%\Installer folder

HUGE %WINDIR%\Installer folder: My wife's mini-ITX PC was upgraded from 7 to 8 to 8.1 to 10. The installer directory has over 36 GB of stuff in it (mostly smaller installer files for what looks like OS components, some dating back to 2013). I see from online research that it's not a good idea to prune this...
  10. Fresh Install of windows 10 & windows.old seems huge but I can't acces

in Windows 10 Support
    Fresh Install of windows 10 & windows.old seems huge but I can't acces: Fresh Install of windows 10 & windows.old seems huge but I can't access anything in it, the folders are empty and there barely anything to view. No music, nothing was backed up but folder size would indicate there is a tonne of stuff in there. Can anyone help? Thanks' 26556

Users found this page by searching for:

1. new windows 70gb

2. 70gb windows

3. windows 10 over 70gb

4. windows 10 70gb,
  5. windows 10 over 70gb after install and update