Windows 10: Windows 10 Installation Freezes

Discus and support Windows 10 Installation Freezes in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am on an Alienware Aurora R3 with Windows 7 Ultimate x64. I ran the media creation tool to upgrade to Windows 7, and it gets as far as 100% copying... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by pareod, Jul 28, 2015.

1. pareod Win User

Windows 10 Installation Freezes

I am on an Alienware Aurora R3 with Windows 7 Ultimate x64. I ran the media creation tool to upgrade to Windows 7, and it gets as far as 100% copying data. It then restarts, the dots circle once, and then they freeze. I force a restart and it attempts to complete installation, but freezes again. I force restart again and it restores Windows 7.

I'm now trying to upgrade from a USB. Any ideas?

:)

pareod, Jul 28, 2015

2. Facillity at Zero

Specialization in replies:

Step1

Step2

Step3etc

Installation Guide Windows 10, Jul 28, 2015
  3. koehlo Win User
    koehlo, Jul 28, 2015
  4. pareod Win User

USB install froze as well.

pareod, Jul 29, 2015
  5. Same issue on my Alienware R3. Everything looks good until it reboots, the thing spins for half a minute then freezes. No HDD activity. Tried unplugging everything except mouse and keyboard and resetting bios to defaults. Same thing.

Do you happen to have two drives set up in raid 0?

Drizznation, Jul 29, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Jul 29, 2015
  7. mrmorg Win User
    I am having the same issue on the Alienware X51. I get 100% on the "Copy Files" and I get to 6% on the "Driver Installation" and it freezes on a black screen. D=

mrmorg, Jul 29, 2015
  8. pareod Win User

I found a solution for Aurora R3 machines. It has to do with BIOS issues.

Aurora R3 + Windows 8.1 = warm boot freeze issue - Alienware Forum - Alienware Club - Dell Community

Basically, after it gets to 100% on Copy Files, whenever the computer restarts, wait for it to get to the BIOS screen (the alien face) and then IMMEDIATELY force shut-down. Turn it back on and it will not freeze. Do this EVERY TIME the computer restarts. Once the installation is complete, download the two drivers the guy in the link refers to. They fix the restart freezes. Also, Windows Update is supposed to be under settings, but mine was not at first. If this is the case, go to "Find and fix problems" under "System and Security," and run "Fix problems with Windows Update." That fixed an issue for me. When I restarted, Windows Update was in Settings.

My only current issue is that when I search for anything system related in the task-bar search (e.g. Device Manager or Control Panel) only "search the web" options appear.

pareod, Jul 29, 2015
  9. I love you mate! It worked for me flawlessly. I was going through hell until i found this thread. I heard of this method when i wanted to install W8, but i didn't associate fact that it could work here too. Again BIG THANKS!

MonsterrBoots, Jul 30, 2015
  10. 1fever Win User
    I have an ASUS Desktop with a Core i7 3770, 16GB Ram, an Nvidia GTX 970, and a 250 GB Intel SSD and a 2 TB HDD. Windows 8.1 is loaded on the SSD. I am trying to update to Windows 10 with the free upgrade icon in the bottom left corner since it say my update is ready. I goes through the whole update where I get stuck on the blue screen that says: Configuring update for Windows 10 100% Complete Do not turn off your computer The circle thing freezes in place and the mouse freezes in place and can't be moved even though it says 100% complete. Is this normal? How long should I wait for this? I have waited 30 mins without it doing anything then I restarted. It booted back into Windows 8.1 but three times in a row it has stuck at 100%. I have unplugged all USB connections other than the mouse and keyboard but it still freezes up. Please help.

1fever, Jul 30, 2015
  11. Got windows 10 to install, but I screwed up and overlooked the driver downloads. Unfortunately, the first time I did a restart I got frozen at the BIOS screen. Anyone have an idea what to do?

Augustus25, Aug 4, 2015
  12. JesW87 Win User
    Ok, I've tried all the steps listed here and it STARTS to work. I run Windows Update get the Windows 10 installation, my computer shuts down, and it starts up and begins the installation. Once it gets to around 26% (100% of the file copying), the computer attempts to reboot and I shut it down again before it can get to the BIOS. Then it goes on to step 2: driver installation. When it gets to around 30% (5% of the driver installation) the resolution gets a little bigger, and a mouse cursor appears. I see the installation window for the Razer Synapse driver. I click install, but then I am told that it cannot install because I am not connected to the Internet (maybe this is because I am connected via LAN to my College's network, which requires a username and password once I start up my computer?) and the window closes, leaving me with a mouse cursor on a black screen. Forever. If I shut down the computer at this point, when it starts back up it just restores me to Windows 7. What do I do?

JesW87, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Installation Freezes - Similar Threads - Installation Freezes

2. Just installed GTA 5 on PC once loading it will start to freeze and the PC will restart it self

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Just installed GTA 5 on PC once loading it will start to freeze and the PC will restart it self: Just installed GTA 5 on PC once loading it will start to freeze and the PC will restart it self https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/just-installed-gta-5-on-pc-once-loading-it-will/5008bbf1-35d4-4282-8ae3-051eb6f83cf6
  3. Just installed GTA 5 on PC once loading it will start to freeze and the PC will restart it self

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Just installed GTA 5 on PC once loading it will start to freeze and the PC will restart it self: Just installed GTA 5 on PC once loading it will start to freeze and the PC will restart it self https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/just-installed-gta-5-on-pc-once-loading-it-will/5008bbf1-35d4-4282-8ae3-051eb6f83cf6
  4. Fairly new install of Windows 11 with unexpected freezes/crashes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fairly new install of Windows 11 with unexpected freezes/crashes: Been having a issue with the computer just freezing in the middle of playing a game, specifically Path of Exile. I recently changed its graphic settings from DX12 to Vulkan and it seems to have solved it as far as that goes, but I will still get random freezes and crashes...
  5. Fairly new install of Windows 11 with unexpected freezes/crashes

Fairly new install of Windows 11 with unexpected freezes/crashes: Been having a issue with the computer just freezing in the middle of playing a game, specifically Path of Exile. I recently changed its graphic settings from DX12 to Vulkan and it seems to have solved it as far as that goes, but I will still get random freezes and crashes...
  6. PC freezes after installation of new GPU and now with old GPU too

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC freezes after installation of new GPU and now with old GPU too: Hi yesterday I bought the rtx 4060 ti after I installed it for about 3 hours everything went fine. I tested some games to look how much the performance improved. My specs:32gb rami7 14700K Rtx 4060 ti 8gbMainboard: Asus Prime Z790-P 14th gen ready650W PSUBut now my whole pc...
  7. PC freezes after installation of new GPU and now with old GPU too

PC freezes after installation of new GPU and now with old GPU too: Hi yesterday I bought the rtx 4060 ti after I installed it for about 3 hours everything went fine. I tested some games to look how much the performance improved. My specs:32gb rami7 14700K Rtx 4060 ti 8gbMainboard: Asus Prime Z790-P 14th gen ready650W PSUBut now my whole pc...
  8. PC freezes after installation of new GPU and now with old GPU too

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Windows freezes after tryinng to startup for first time after fresh installation.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows freezes after tryinng to startup for first time after fresh installation.: Hello, I'm having a problem that I've never run into before. I just finished building a PC, and I'm trying to install windows on it. I'm using a media creation tool USB. Everything starts out fine, I start installing windows, everything installs and the PC restarts. I take...
  10. Windows freezes after tryinng to startup for first time after fresh installation.

Windows freezes after tryinng to startup for first time after fresh installation.: Hello, I'm having a problem that I've never run into before. I just finished building a PC, and I'm trying to install windows on it. I'm using a media creation tool USB. Everything starts out fine, I start installing windows, everything installs and the PC restarts. I take...