Windows 10: Windows 10 installation on old laptops

Discus and support Windows 10 installation on old laptops in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi guys, I have two laptops wanted to upgrade to windows 10, so one of them is u41sv ASUS laptop, according to Microsoft get Windows 10 on the desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Edwin94, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Edwin94 Win User

Windows 10 installation on old laptops

Hi guys, I have two laptops wanted to upgrade to windows 10, so one of them is u41sv ASUS laptop, according to Microsoft get Windows 10 on the desktop taskbar, it can be upgrade, I talk to the ASUS support, and they told me that Windows 7 drivers do not work on Windows 10 and Windows 8 drivers works on Windows 10, they also told me to wait while they contact their technical team to get the compatible drivers for my model (which I am still waiting). Is it ok to use Windows 7 drivers? Can I use generic drivers from the manufacturer itself for each components, is it safe? Should I wait for ASUS? Another laptop is a sony vpccw16fg laptop. After I upgrade my key to Windows 10 first time? Can I reinstall endlessly even after the 31st July 2016 deadline?

To cut it short, here are the specifications page for both of the laptops.
    ASUS laptop: Intel Core i5-2410m model (2.30ghz)
    U41SV | Notebooks | ASUS Malaysia

Sony Asia Pacific

:)

Edwin94, Feb 25, 2016

2. Transfer Windows License?

Hello,

The new laptop is fine. I don't want to do anything with that one. It replaces the laptop that has newly installed Windows 10.

The Old laptop was running slow. I had bought Microsoft 10 directly from Microsoft.com two days ago. Downloaded it on my old laptop. The old laptop is going to be destroyed because its now crap.

I need to erase Windows 10 from old laptop (that I bought Windows 10 from Microsoft directly. The laptop came installed with Vista) and I would like to install W10 on my desktop which is running Windows 7.

Do I call Microsoft Customer Service and ask them to disable the product key on the the Windows 10 I just bought from them? I want to install it onto my desktop since the old laptop is out of commission.

MistyWright1, Feb 25, 2016
  3. upgrade to windows 10

my previous laptop has windows 10 with digital license. i purchased new one which came with ubuntu. can i install my old windows 10 which will get digitally licensed in my old laptop

sukeshvicky, Feb 25, 2016
  4. lx07 Win User

Hi Edwin, Absolutely you can use old drivers. I am using a Windows XP driver for my X1600 graphics card (that was the last one made). On another machine I'm also using a beta windows 8 driver for (Lenovo) WWAN as they never upgraded that for Windows 8.

Once you upgrade even if something doesn't work (even though most likely it will) you will get it working - you just try drivers (generic or otherwise) until you find ones that work.

If you are upgrading (rather than clean install) however you might find it better to uninstall old drivers (particularly display and Wi-Fi), unplug every USB device you have connected first. Once you have upgraded you can re-install the drivers.

Once you have upgraded you can indeed reinstall endlessly (on the same device).

Make a backup and then try it would be my suggestion. If it doesn't work just do a clean install following the tutorial below. You'll then have Windows 10 registered on your device no matter what.

Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First - Windows 10 Forums

Thema:

1. Windows 10 installation on old laptops - Similar Threads - installation old laptops

2. Trying to install Windows 10 on an old Laptop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to install Windows 10 on an old Laptop.: I’m trying to install Windows on an old laptop of mine from about 2019-2020. Any time I boot into it and choose Windows 10 64bit I get this really odd static screen with a barely visible Windows logo. Any help?...
  3. Trying to install Windows 10 on an old Laptop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trying to install Windows 10 on an old Laptop.: I’m trying to install Windows on an old laptop of mine from about 2019-2020. Any time I boot into it and choose Windows 10 64bit I get this really odd static screen with a barely visible Windows logo. Any help?...
  4. Trying to install Windows 10 on an old Laptop.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. can I install windows 10 on an old laptop?

can I install windows 10 on an old laptop?: I bought a second hand cheap laptop, I have to do an assignment using windows It does not work on iOS. Anyway, it has a windows 7, when I go into the system updates, it only shows windows 7, can I update into a newer version somehow?I got an error message when I tried to do...
  6. can I install windows 10 on an old laptop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can I install windows 10 on an old laptop?: I bought a second hand cheap laptop, I have to do an assignment using windows It does not work on iOS. Anyway, it has a windows 7, when I go into the system updates, it only shows windows 7, can I update into a newer version somehow?I got an error message when I tried to do...
  7. can I install windows 10 on an old laptop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Cannot install Windows 10 on a very old laptop: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

Cannot install Windows 10 on a very old laptop: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED: I have a very old laptop based on Intel Core 2 Duo T5450 which came with Windows Vista which works on it just fine. It has 3 GB of RAM, plenty of free space and otherwise 100% functional.I'm unable to install Windows 10, Version 21H2 on it because after the first reboot...
  9. Impossible to install Windows 10 on old laptop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Impossible to install Windows 10 on old laptop: I have a old Samsung laptop and i want to do a fresh Windows 10 install on it, using the Kingston internal SSD i bought and an USB with Media Creation Tool. The USB is FAT32 with everything ready inside, the SSD is empty because is new, the Boot Priority Order is as it should...
  10. Windows 10: Removal of old (old, old) Windows installation

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10: Removal of old (old, old) Windows installation: I have followed a few threads on manual removal of the Windows.old folder after automatic methods do not work, and none that I have seen has addressed the particular version of the problem I am seeing, which is that there appears to be a hard link embedded in this folder,...