Windows 10: Windows 10 Installation Problems On Seperate Internal Harddrive

Discus and support Windows 10 Installation Problems On Seperate Internal Harddrive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Has anyone heard of any problems with installing 10 on a separate hard drive with another os system like 7 ? I want to get rid of my 8.1 installation... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Bailey63, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Bailey63 Win User

Windows 10 Installation Problems On Seperate Internal Harddrive

Has anyone heard of any problems with installing 10 on a separate hard drive with another os system like 7 ? I want to get rid of my 8.1 installation and go with 10 but I did have a few problems with the 7 install even though it was disconnected from my board during the install of 8.1 but that was only until I shut down and reconnected the drive and started back up booting into 8.1. I can't for the life of me remember what all took place but it was a close call from having to rebuild the whole operating system 7 that is. I didn't reconnect the 7 drive until 8.1 was all finished with updates and what ever else Software, ETC I installed .

Operating System
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    CPU
    AMD FX-8350 26 °C
    Vishera 32nm Technology
    RAM
    32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (10-10-10-27)
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0
    (Socket 942) 31 °C
    Graphics
    HP w2408 (1920x1200@59Hz)
    1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 (EVGA) 33 °C
    1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 (EVGA) 31 °C
    ForceWare version: 361.43
    SLI Enabled
    Storage
    931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 (SATA) 22 °C
    465GB Seagate ST3500620AS (SATA) 29 °C
    931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 (SATA) 22 °C
    232GB Seagate ST3250410AS (SATA) 24 °C
    232GB Seagate ST3250410AS (SATA) 29 °C
    232GB Seagate ST3250410AS (SATA) 31 °C

:)

Bailey63, Jan 9, 2016
  2. VimeanSam Win User

Windows 10 Error Code: 0x8007017

The title says it all, been having this error every time i tried to install windows 10 currently trying to install on raid 0 with 2 ssds.

theres only one thing that could work is that an update of windows 10 for raid drivers or update the ssd firmware

ive removed unused internal harddrives

tried removing ram, switching ram etc

tried to install windows 7 works

VimeanSam, Jan 9, 2016
  3. HARDDRIVE ISSUES

who thanks for the speedy response. so just to be certain. my WEEKEND PROJECT SHOULD BE:

1 - create a bootable / recovery disk of the xp, including backing up all files - (from old pc)

2 - take out xp drive - (from old pc)

3 - disconnect the harddrive from new pc (windows 10 pro - made a mistake in the intial email)

4- connect xp harddrive in new pc

5 - install fresh xp when i connect ??

6 - get the new harddrive

When i get the new Harddrive that i want the windows 10 on:

1 - disconnect the xp harddrive,

2 - connect the new harddrive,

3 - install windows 10 on new harddrive,

4 - reconnect the xp harddrive,

5 - set both sequence....

KennosOllivierre, Jan 9, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Assuming you are going to install Windows 10 on a separate HDD than your current Windows, there are two ways to proceed.

1. Leave the old OS HDD installed when installing Windows 10. Doing it this way should set up dual booting automatically, but the issue is that Windows 10 will not create a new set of boot files. It will modify the existing boot files. Those are likely to be and remain on the old OS HDD. So, if you ever want to remove or reformat the old HDD you are going to have to move the boot files.

2. Disconnect the old OS HDD before installing Windows 10. This will cause Windows 10 to set up boot files on the same HDD Windows 10 is installing to and it will not set up dual booting. You can then dual boot in two different ways. Just reconnect the old HDD and go into bios each time you want to change boot order. That is very cumbersome. Or reconnect the old HDD and add the old OS to the Windows 10 boot menu to set up real dual booting. There is a single command line that you can run to do that, I'll have to look it up.

The command line would be:
    bcdboot e:\windows /d /addlast

where the path in red would be the path to the old Windows you wanted to add.

NavyLCDR, Jan 9, 2016
  5. Bailey63 Win User
    I hear ya and what I will do is your number 2
    2. Disconnect the old OS HDD before installing Windows 10. This will cause Windows 10 to set up boot files on the same HDD Windows 10 is installing to and it will not set up dual booting. You can then dual boot in two different ways. Just reconnect the old HDD and go into bios each time you want to change boot order. That is very cumbersome. Or reconnect the old HDD and add the old OS to the Windows 10 boot menu to set up real dual booting. do not care for the dual booting scenario.

since booting to the UEFI is no problem at all with this board , F8 choose and I'm done . I'm just am looking for some problems that someone may have run into during their install this way.

Bailey63, Jan 9, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    Not 100% certain, but can you run just msconfig and select default OS?

I know you can do this for dual boot pcs, and you can do it booting from a macrium rescue drive.

Might be worth a try as would be faster than swapping in bios.

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Installation Problems On Seperate Internal Harddrive - Similar Threads - Installation Problems Seperate

2. Internal Harddrive Disconnecting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internal Harddrive Disconnecting: Hi there I made a grave mistake of forgetting that my internal harddrive 1tb was not screwed in when i picked up my pc to move it, and it fell out of its seating to the bottom of the case. Nothing seems to have gone wrong at first. A few times over the next two weeks the...
  3. Internal Harddrive Disconnecting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internal Harddrive Disconnecting: Hi there I made a grave mistake of forgetting that my internal harddrive 1tb was not screwed in when i picked up my pc to move it, and it fell out of its seating to the bottom of the case. Nothing seems to have gone wrong at first. A few times over the next two weeks the...
  4. Internal Harddrive Disconnecting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Microsoft Store not detecting a game on a seperate harddrive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft Store not detecting a game on a seperate harddrive: So I have installed Sea of Thieves on my desktop to an external hard drive. Whenever I plug in my hard drive to my laptop and check under the xbox or microsoft store app, it tells me I need to re-install the game. Any help? Thanks...
  6. internal harddrive missing after windows 10 update 20xH2

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    internal harddrive missing after windows 10 update 20xH2: I have recently updated the Windows 10 home to a latest edition. After the restart the internal drive D gone missing and even after many restarts it didn't shown up. my spec: HP pavilion 15csx series intel core i7 8th gen windows 10 Home 128GB ssd 1tB HDDnow missing...
  7. Problem with harddrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem with harddrive: Hi I just bought a new external harddrive last week and i have moved my files to it. After a few days when i try opening the files; file explorer starts freezing and it say it is not responding. Can somebody please help me....
  8. How to install two windows 10 OS in two seperate internal hard drives and keep files seperate?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to install two windows 10 OS in two seperate internal hard drives and keep files seperate?: Hi I am planning to install an additional internal SSD in a laptop running windows 10. I have purchased an additional Win 10 Home OS for the second drive and want to set up dual booting. Can this work with both drives running Windows 10 with seperate licences? My intention...
  9. Install windows 10 on new harddrive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Install windows 10 on new harddrive: My harddrive failed so i need a new one i made an image of the bad drive awhile ago on external harddrive that i also store other files on like videos music etc. Can i use this harddrive to put the image files on the new harddrive in the laptop without any issues windows...
  10. Instal Windows 10 in a different harddrive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Instal Windows 10 in a different harddrive: Hello I bought a computer with a HDD, and Windows 10 installed. I want to install a SSD in order to improve the performance of the computer. However, I don't have any DVD or Product Key of the OS. How can I install the same Windows 10 on the new drive? Thank you...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. software installation prolems to harddrive