Windows 10: Windows 10 installed on MBR instead of GPT

Discus and support Windows 10 installed on MBR instead of GPT in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there, I have a 4TB hard disk and I didn't realize I installed Windows 10 on a MBR which partitioned/divided my HDD to 2TB. I have lots of empty... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Coouge, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Coouge Win User

Windows 10 installed on MBR instead of GPT

Hi there,

I have a 4TB hard disk and I didn't realize I installed Windows 10 on a MBR which partitioned/divided my HDD to 2TB. I have lots of empty blu-ray disc that I can use. Is it possible for me to create a system image of Windows 10, format the hard disk and convert it to GPT and then reinstall Windows 10? Would that work?

:)

Coouge, Aug 8, 2015
  2. slance310 Win User

How to restore or convert an mbr system image to gpt format

Hi,

Are you talking about TWO instances of Win 10 running, or are you wanting to overwrite the Win 10 GPT partition with the MBR Image ?...

Loading the MBR image onto the GPT partition might work without any issues, but there may be some... The GPT installation probably uses a EFI partition and "Windows Boot Manager" to boot... the MBR installation does not...

If it does not, a Startup Repair may resolve the problem...

I have had mixed success switching between MBR and GPT installations of Win 10...

Depending on how you created the System Image, it may refuse to load onto a GPT drive... The Windows imaging method is pretty finicky about stuff like that...

slance310, Aug 8, 2015
  3. Jon-Stark Win User
    3TB Drive format windows 10 not working

This is because your hard disk is MBR disk, you can check it in Disk Management.
    which only supports 2 TB drive. so the only way to get your space backup is to convert your disk back to GPT disk. Disk management can only convert a disk to MBR when it is empty. Therefore, you need a third party software to

convert MBR to GPT on Windows 10
    without affecting the OS, such as AOMEI Partition Assistant.after installing this software, the Convert mBR/GPT wizard will guide you through the process. How to Convert GPT to MBR or Convert MBR to GPT without Losing Data?

Jon-Stark, Aug 8, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

Ztruker, Aug 10, 2015
  5. bobkn Win User
    I'm missing the point.

Why not just re-install Win 10? Have you installed a ton of stuff since 29 July?

I'm not certain that it'll re-activate if the installation goes from MBR to GPT, but I'd bet that it will.

bobkn, Aug 10, 2015
  6. Coouge Win User
    Yeah that's what I did Windows 10 installed on MBR instead of GPT :p Everything's fine now. Thanks!

Coouge, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 installed on MBR instead of GPT - Similar Threads - installed MBR instead

2. MBR To GPT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MBR To GPT: Hello there!I have installed Windows 11 with a weird way I found on Youtube.Although my system supports all the specifications to run Windows 11 and I am stuck at the secure boot thing.I activated Secure Boot from my motherboard and now I have to run MBR2GPT.EXE and an error...
  3. MBR To GPT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MBR To GPT: Hello there!I have installed Windows 11 with a weird way I found on Youtube.Although my system supports all the specifications to run Windows 11 and I am stuck at the secure boot thing.I activated Secure Boot from my motherboard and now I have to run MBR2GPT.EXE and an error...
  4. MBR to gpt

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MBR to gpt: Hello I hAd installed the window but I didn't know this will cause problems later on I installed the window in MBR but later on when I install linux in dual boot it cause problems So how I do convert mbr to gpt without loss of data and...
  5. new installation gpt not mbr

in Windows 10 Customization
    new installation gpt not mbr: I have assembled a new desktop computer that has eufi bios. My existing computer on which I am writing this question is a Legacy bios how do I get a win10 installed on the new one, as the "Media Creation Tool" copy won't work. Thanks Keith...
  6. MBR/GPT

MBR/GPT: How do I convert a MBR 7200 RPM HDD to GPT so I can install 64bit Win 10 Home? I have a 2014 HP All-in - One I had upgraded to an SSD - two years later it failed (about 3 weeks ago. I bought a new SSD - It was a 3D Nand(?) drive. It worked for 2 days. then started...
  7. MBR or GPT ????

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MBR or GPT ????: hello, I had my 120GB SDD replaced by a 480GB one and made a clean install of win10 got an adapter to use the small SDD as an external backup disk I get a window demanding that I initialize the disk I do not have a clue what I should select...MBR or GPT ? *Huh I intend...
  8. GPT or MBR

GPT or MBR: Or MBR or GPT Asus laptop with 8.1 installed. One disk, 2 partitions. I've installed 10 a number of times, VM and dual boot on desktop. Went to install 10, dual boot. When I got to picking the partition, said "Cannot be installed, selected disk is of the MBR partition...
  9. MBR or GPT

MBR or GPT: Well I have to do my windows 10 over the right way, I thought I installed a clean install but apparently I didn't so I have instructions how to do it the right way. My question is back when I was having other issues with 10 it was mentioned about using GPT instead of the MBR....
  10. Why GPT instead of MBR partitions for boot drive?

Why GPT instead of MBR partitions for boot drive?: My boot drive is a 512 GB SSD and it has MBR partitions. I'm currently running Win 7 Pro 64 on an ASUS motherboard system with a UEFI BIOS. I'm about to upgrade to Win 10. Is there any benefit to redoing the boot drive with GPT partitions as part of that process? 49832

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why did windows 10 install in mbr moe

2. windows installed in mbr

3. windows 10 uses mbr instead of gpt

4. why windows 10 installed on mbr and not on gtp,
  5. windows 10 installed as mbr,
  6. why windows installed on mbr and not gpt,
  7. windows 10 mbr instead of gtp,
  8. why windows 10 installed mbr,
  9. windows installed as mbr,
  10. windows 10 installed on mbr,
  11. windows 10 keeps installing in mbr instead of gpt,