Windows 10: Windows 10 intermittently fails to link with website

Discus and support Windows 10 intermittently fails to link with website in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Using Windows 10, 3 browsers Fx, Edge and Chrome will not open links intermittently, possibly 1 third of the time. An empty browser window appears with... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by gwatts, Apr 24, 2017.

1. gwatts Win User

Windows 10 intermittently fails to link with website

Using Windows 10, 3 browsers Fx, Edge and Chrome will not open links intermittently, possibly 1 third of the time. An empty browser window appears with an empty address slot.

However, selecting the link “Here” (for example), and dragging the word "Here" or even an entire title link up to the address bar opens the site as it should. The fact that this occurs with 3 browsers suggests a Windows problem, not a browser problem.
    Any advice on stopping this behavior will be greatly appreciated.

:)

gwatts, Apr 24, 2017

2. D-LINK DWA-192 AC Adapter Interrmitent Failure

My new D-LINK DWA-192 AC USB3.0 Adapter intermittently fails. It will work again if I disconnect and reconnect it but only for a few days or seconds. I an getting a "This device cannot start (Code 10)" message. Reloading the driver
    works temporarily. D-Link replaced the adapter but the new one has the same problem. The older D-Link N adapter works without any problems. I've been trying to solve this problem since last December. I get frequent updates with Windows 10 and am not sure if
    they are related as this is intermittent. I've run SFC with no issues found. This is on a desktop with 16GB's of memory and no other problems or any new hardware.

WallyKrokosz, Apr 24, 2017
  3. Clicking mail link in website causes Windows 10 to open Create Outlook programme

Hi Pavan

1. Can (and does) happen on any website

2. Hotmail / outlook (webbased - also have 'pc based' outlook on the other profile on the pc)

3. Chrome

4. ?? When I click on the link, I get 'Welcome to Outlook 2016' offering to set me up an Outlook account (which I already have), that's all - is this what you're asking?

I probably just need to check a box someplace - but where... :/

R.

Rossarinya, Apr 24, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

spunk, Apr 24, 2017
  5. gwatts Win User
    spunk

I appreciate your response.

Recalling that I had no problems until Windows Update forced itself upon me, it would just happened again and again no matter what I did with the Windows Checkup. If it is one of my particular installs the problem would recur unless I can identify that program.

So far what I have done is to restore an installation using Acronis TI that was created approximately one week prior to the development of the problem. Shortly after that the update struck again and the problem recurred.

If Windows10 interacts poorly with some of my installations, some of them seem to be more likely than others. Although I have another laptop running Windows 10 without problems , as far as I know it has all of the same programs I want for the new Windows 10. I have installed Classic Start Menu, MP3 Gain, Folder Size Explorer, Icon Restore, Microsoft Office 2002 as well as Quicken 2015 and probably quite a few others. I'm considering uninstalling them one by one or several at a time etc.

The main problem with that is that programs such as Acronos TI and Dragon go berserk with limited activations etc. if they think someone is trying to install the program illegally. I have spent hours around support with this problem in the past.

What do you think of this approach?
    Do you think a particular program or class of programs is more likely to interact poorly with Windows 10 than others?

Thank you.

gwatts, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 intermittently fails to link with website - Similar Threads - intermittently fails link

2. WINDOWS 10 INTERMITTENTLY FAILS TO HIBERNATE, INSTEAD LOCKS SCREEN

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    WINDOWS 10 INTERMITTENTLY FAILS TO HIBERNATE, INSTEAD LOCKS SCREEN: My dell Latitude laptop, which is a few months old, has 8Gb and an SSD, Core i5, running Windows 10 Pro more often than not fails to hibernate and just returns to the lock screen. In addition to Windows I have installed Sophos antivirus, Office 2019, Teams, Adobe reader...
  3. Firefox intermittently hangs when loading websites

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox intermittently hangs when loading websites: I have latest version of Firefox..74.0...and have noticed Firefox hangs when i try to reload a website..such as BBC Iplayer and see in top left side three dots continously cycle back and forth and this occurs intermittently. I can use Firefox for say and hour and close it...
  4. opening a link on a website

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    opening a link on a website: I'm trying to open a link while on a website and it takes me to the Microsoft Windows update page. My computer is up to date so I don't know what to do! Anyone else had this happen? I need help! Thanks!...
  5. Can ping but not access websites, Intermittent

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can ping but not access websites, Intermittent: Hi, I have 2 computers connected to the same router, and after some time the laptop loses the ability to access a website and also my Outlook mail is unable to send or receive emails, but I can still ping ok. The desktop computer (also Windows 10) continues to have perfect...
  6. Windows 10 will not open links in websites, including photos and other links.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 will not open links in websites, including photos and other links.: Since the download of the Updates, I get "Unable to open http" on any links. When are you going to correct this issue? Should I expect it to be fixed in the next update?...
  7. add website link to desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    add website link to desktop: add website link to desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/add-website-link-to-desktop/942df182-e6ef-40db-8c2a-7f81240ac50e
  8. Sending a link to other websites

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sending a link to other websites: Hi, THIS IS VERY URGENT. I am participating in the car giveaway promotion from CAR FROM JAPAN website. How can I promote their link to other websites so that I acquire more points to qualify for the prize? Thank You. Edith Kangabe....
  9. Windows intermittently failing to boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows intermittently failing to boot: I have an issue with a recent build whereby the system boots straight into UEFI and the SSD boot drive doesn't show up under boot options. It happens intermittently (roughly every 2 or 3 weeks) and in the beginning a simple reboot would solve it. Recently though, once...
  10. Intermittent Freezing linked to Cursor movement

in Windows 10 Support
    Intermittent Freezing linked to Cursor movement: Hi, The cursor on my laptop freezes every few seconds when I move it. This happens with both my bluetooth mouse and my inbuilt touchpad. I know the laptop is freezing and not just the cursor because if I run an app with a progress bar it also freezes at the same time as...