Windows 10: Windows 10 is a giant CPU hog!!

Discus and support Windows 10 is a giant CPU hog!! in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I can hardly keep my systems running a single program on Windows 10 much less multiple operations. CPU is constantly at 99 or 100% regardless of what I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by ericb7799, Aug 5, 2015.

1. ericb7799 Win User

Windows 10 is a giant CPU hog!!

I can hardly keep my systems running a single program on Windows 10 much less multiple operations. CPU is constantly at 99 or 100% regardless of what I do. Now I'm getting a message stating that due to "low memory" windows is going to close "some programs". Whether I click cancel or OK doesn't seem to matter and within a couple minutes of that message I'm just crashing to black screen , sometimes with a cursor, others not. Nothing I seem to be doing is working. Disabling non essential services and programs on startup not helping. Curiously, I have 2 computers running the latest Win 10, one only has 8 gb ram, the other 32 gb and I can start them both at the same time and run the exact same operation and will get the exact same message on both computers!. So what the heck do they want as far as RAM? How can 32 gb of RAM not be enough to run chkdsk on a single volume?

So without fully getting into a rage over the f8 and safemode disaster that is after the Windows 8 version, in the miracle situation where I can get into safemode I was greeted with the news that the new "default" Edge browser doesn't work in safemode. Get a message about not being able to run on the system included Administrator account. OK, so actually never signed in under the system admin, I don't even remember enabling it and why would that matter at all anyway? To add to that I can't seem to get Google Chrome or Firefox to open correctly since this Win 10 version. Trying to launch program from the taskbar (I always pin those to the taskbar) no longer works at all. Tried normal way and launching as admin. Can only launch by going to the desktop icon or navigating to the program folder. Even then it will not launch quickly and takes almost 5 minutes before will open up the browsers, and then it wont open it up as the topmost visable open window and will open it in the background. Usually there is also some frozen Window that will not close that is blocking the browser Window.
    Also I've noticed that the right click on a program or file will stop working, only showing the partial list, or a whited out list with a couple of arrows but cant see any of the options. Of course this seems to happen at the exact time I need to use right click to get to properties or etc.
    All in all, I've ran all the Tech preview 10 versions since last OCT and didnt have these issues to this degree with those versions. The super frustrating memory and cpu issue is new to this version and never had this happen on the tech prev versions.
    All in all Win 10 is pretty much no better than 8.1 to me so far. Actually can hardly tell any difference in 8.1 and 10 other than a couple of minor changes to icons, and graphics etc. Cortana is useless to me, I just want to delete it. The Edge browser is somewhat of an improvement over Internet Explorer but doesnt support the plugins I need to use and is buggy and crashes. So in general, not impressed with Win 10 at all.

:)

ericb7799, Aug 5, 2015

2. Windows 10 causing excessive CPU heat while gaming (BF4)

I am having issues as well with CPU spikes. I was using Windows 8.1 without any issues. I have an AMD quadcore A10 (FM2+ socket) with a GTX970 graphics card. I'm not using the onboard AMD 7850 graphics.

Running BF4 is a joke in Windows 10... unplayable.

Battlefield 4 runs perfectly in Windows 8.1 and 7.

All drivers updated after upgrade, yada yada... CPU spikes at 100% and I start losing frames. This never happened prior to 10.

Boo Windows 10 - What a disappointment. I have subsequently reinstalled my old version of Windows 8.1 on a separate drive. I'm having no issues. CPU runs in the 70 to 75% range. On 10 it runs much higher, as if the OS is simply not optimized the same.

What to do?

Originally I was blaming NVidia, but the more I screw with this, the more issues I'm seeing with Windows being a giant resource hog and consuming all the CPU cycles.

I'm thinking I'll have to go modify my Amazon post since it seems to be the fault of Windows 10 instead.

Of course to make things even MORE irritating, if I DID go and upgrade my MB and CPU, Windows would complain that I was breaking their license agreement.

Thanks Windows 10 for being a giant FAILURE!

Mark_Shark, Aug 5, 2015
  3. Linney Win User
    Linney, Aug 5, 2015
  4. caperjack Win User

sounds like something wrong with compatibility with you computer's hardware ,to me ,i have been using win10 since last year and have had none of the issues you are having ,as are most other users of win10

caperjack, Aug 5, 2015
  5. letmein Win User
    Did you remember to remove any usb devices and all running programs including security tools and web browsers before upgrading ?

Run CMD as admininstrator.
    In the command line type: netsh winsock reset
    Press Enter then restart your PC.

You could also try contacting Microsoft support directly https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/contactus

letmein, Aug 5, 2015
  6. Rocky Win User
    On my little system, Windows 10 is consuming between 0% and 1% of my CPU, and I am using approx. 7% of my RAM. Of course I have a web browser open as well as a music program and Outlook in the background. Maybe something is wrong with your system.

Rocky, Aug 6, 2015
  7. Carsomyr Win User
    It gets pretty bad on little dual core systems. I have an AMD elite A6-5350M in my laptop (dual core, 2.9 GHz) and it ran at a steady 40-50% CPU idling on the desktop. Looking in task manager the culprit for me was runtime broker. In order to stop it from hogging your CPU, go into settings->system->notifications&actions, and turn off "Show me tips about windows" (personally I turned the 4 under that off as well, but from what other people have said turning off only that first one did it for them!)

Carsomyr, Aug 6, 2015
  8. Rocky Win User

On my system Windows 10 is less hungry than Linux. Just now as a little experiment I ripped a disc while I was playing music with a completely different music app while I had two different web browsers open and my Outlook. My CPU was running at between 6% and 7%, a lot better than Linux. At complete idol, Linux Mint 17.1 requires over 2% CPU and just opening a few apps puts it way up near 10%. Of course this is just academic because Windows 8 was the worse. I was always using close to 5% at idol, and over 10% if I was doing anything. I will report back when I open my video editor and edit some 1080 video that I shot.

Rocky, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 is a giant CPU hog!! - Similar Threads - giant CPU hog

2. Powershell hogging ram/cpu crypto malware

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Powershell hogging ram/cpu crypto malware: Since i've got that issue and got it fixed with a good person named _AW_ in this community. i got it again and noticed a lot of people are having same issue. he told me in this thread to make a thread so he reply me....
  3. Powershell hogging ram/cpu crypto malware

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Powershell hogging ram/cpu crypto malware: Since i've got that issue and got it fixed with a good person named _AW_ in this community. i got it again and noticed a lot of people are having same issue. he told me in this thread to make a thread so he reply me....
  4. System process hogging 20% of CPU

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System process hogging 20% of CPU: Why does the System process suck up around 20% of the CPU all the time? Is it because of HP bloatware? [ATTACH] My PC info can you see this screenshot?: [ATTACH]...
  5. Hidden CPU hogs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hidden CPU hogs: When high CPU usage is sapping a PC, I often can't find the cause in Task Manager. The total CPU use will be high, but no processes will be visible actually hogging the CPU. "Show all processes" or Resource Monitor don't reveal the culprit either. What is usually going on in...
  6. Windows 10’s search will stop hogging disk or CPU resources

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10’s search will stop hogging disk or CPU resources: Windows 10 20H1 update, which will be released later this year, includes fixes for excessive disk and CPU usage caused by Windows Search Indexer. Today, Microsoft confirmed that the company is working on another Windows 10 update that will include more changes for Windows...
  7. antimalware is hogging my cpu

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    antimalware is hogging my cpu: how do I remove antimalware https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/antimalware-is-hogging-my-cpu/8e04655c-8234-4499-8e05-1430e3a57db8"
  8. Task Manager is hogging the CPU

Task Manager is hogging the CPU: Thinkpad X1 Carbon 6th gen, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, auto updates. Crapware startup routines disabled except for a couple of printer updaters. Lately I have noticed laggy system performance. I see that Task Manager is hogging the CPU, routinely taking up 15-20% of the CPU. I...
  9. Service Host "Windows Time" hogging CPU

Service Host "Windows Time" hogging CPU: Today I had a system that has been observed running the Windows Time service host at 56% CPU. I couldn't find a lot of literature on the topic and I couldn't resolve. I took a break and the service was back to 0. Someone else is also having the issue. What can cause this and...
  10. Svchost.exe in sysWOW64 hogging CPU

Svchost.exe in sysWOW64 hogging CPU: I have a windows 10 PC(64-bit). Since the last few days i'm noticing that my PC is running slowly than it should. On opening the task manager i saw that there is an unnamed background process which is utilizing the CPU even when i'm not running any program. I opened up the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. WIN 10 IS ACPU HOG