Windows 10: windows 10 is in sda2 but bootloader is showing sda1...how to fix it??

Discus and support windows 10 is in sda2 but bootloader is showing sda1...how to fix it?? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My operating system is windows 10 which is in sda2 partition. I have installed xubuntu as another OS. grub is showing that windows 10 is in sda1. So... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mkrk, Feb 16, 2016.

1. mkrk Win User

windows 10 is in sda2 but bootloader is showing sda1...how to fix it??

My operating system is windows 10 which is in sda2 partition. I have installed xubuntu as another OS. grub is showing that windows 10 is in sda1. So when i press enter on windows 10 loader dev/sda1 then it is not opening. a grub rescue mode is opened up because windows 10 is in sda2 partition...how to fix it from xubuntu ...i have no windows 10 installation disk. Please help me..thank you

:)

2. rhtovo Win User

Messy GRUB after upgrading to windows 10

When I installed ubuntu alongside windows 7, another boot partition was created for windows 7. So I had something like this:
    • /dev/sda2 contains the windows 7 system together with the boot folder.
    • /dev/sda1 contains only a boot folder which boots the windows 7 system in /dev/sda2
    This is the reason why there are two lines in GRUB which boot to the same windows 7 system.

When I upgrade to windows 10, it seems that the upgrade affected only the boot folder in /dev/sda1. The boot folder in /dev/sda2 cannot boot the system although it is in the same partition as the system itself. Of course the windows system in /dev/sda2 was
    upgraded to windows 10.

I do not understand why the upgrade did not affect the boot folder in /dev/sda2 . Is there a way to make the two partition /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2 boot windows 10?

rhtovo, Feb 16, 2016
  3. dbb008 Win User
    Windows 10 Upgrade will not start

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately this method also did not work.

I then tried using the Media Creation Tool to start the upgrade, and that failed too with the unhelpful notification of "Something when wrong in determining

I followed the tips here:

r/windows - "Sorry, we're having trouble determining if your PC can run Windows 10"

[Fix] "Something Happened" Error Message in Windows 10 Upgrade - AskVG

I noticed that the registry key mentioned at the end of that article was wrong on my machine and changed it.

However, I believe the main problem was that I had a primary Linux partition (sda2) on the drive that was marked as active (i.e. boot flag enabled). It seems really silly that this stopped windows from upgrading considering that my C: drive
    was on a separate, primary partition (sda1).

I booted Linux Mint from USB, ran gparted, then set the partition flags so that sda1 had the boot flag and sda2 did not. (Note: I am not using UEFI so I did NOT have to remove GRUB from the MBR or reinstall the Windows Boot Loader. The upgrade went fine
    with grub in place.)

After this, the upgrade worked and I am running Windows 10.

dbb008, Feb 16, 2016
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there.

1) Download the windows media creation tool from Ms and make either an ISO or USB -- USB is better if your machine boots from a USB.

2) Boot the install media created.

3) at the prompt chose REPAIR your system and follow the instructions.

Note - the repair will probably wipe GRUB off the partition so you'll have to re-install Linux (or at least GRUB again) if you want to keep using it.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 16, 2016
  5. brianzion Win User
    brianzion, Feb 16, 2016
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

While in theory a good suggestion - in this case it won't work --since if you UNDERSTOOD what the OP's problem actually was or at least what he posted was :

1) Couldn't boot windows (GRUB problem)
    2) He didn't have any windows install media

So how - and pray with what is the OP going to be able to issue those commands.

That's why I suggested he obtains the media device creator from Ms and creates a bootable install DVD or USB. Then you can get into command mode etc.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 16, 2016
  7. brianzion Win User
    it was just some information for the mbr to be repaired if needed I thought would be helpful after if he sorted out what you suggested because it explains how to repair the mbr. I had the same issue and used the method on the link and it sorted it.

brianzion, Feb 16, 2016
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

Not intending to have a go at you of course and the suggestion was valid. However booting into an OS is the first requirement for doing any repairs of course !!!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 16, 2016
  9. brianzion Win User
    I duel boot with th linux distros and have learnt to just unplug drives and plug in the drive you wish to instal the distro on before installing. and just set bios to boot in preferd operating system and when you wish to boot to other do it manually. grub is a nightmare.

brianzion, Feb 16, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    I'm no Linux expert, but why couldn't the OP just edit the Grub entry for Windows 10 to point to the correct partition - like one would edit the BCD in Windows? Is there no program like EasyBCD for Grub, like an EasyGRUB?

NavyLCDR, Feb 16, 2016
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi folks

Slightly OT but IMO here's a much safer way to boot Linux systems -- since on the whole the OS is much smaller and resource less hungry than Windows - why not install the Linux OS on an external USB 2 or even better a USB3 device and boot it when you want it -- Linux boots easily from external USB. If you've an old spare SSD connect a SATA-->USB2 or USB3 cable to it and plug into a USB 2 / 3 USB port.

Boot time is fast - especially with an SSD and you can get access to any of the internal HDD's these days with any decent distro just by clicking on the appropriate device -- depending on your GUI of course. Linux reads and writes NTFS these days -- no prob (warning --if you use CENTOS install NTFS-3g package though - most others have this already installed).

Then you will never hose up your internal HDD boot mechanism. When installing the Linux OS simply create a /boot mount point at installation time and tell the bootloader (GRUB) to install to it on the external device.

I always use this method to test Linux stuff when I need to try it on REAL hardware and with a Windows VM installed on the Linux external USD device also makes a good portable system. An old laptop HDD also makes a good external device for this if you haven't got a spare SSD -- same as before use SATA-->USB2 / USB3 adapter cable to plug into USB port.

(If you have an external sata connection on the PC -- even better !!!).

If you don't need the Linux system to run on real hardware installing in a VM is another solution - avoids dual booting at all.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. windows 10 is in sda2 but bootloader is showing sda1...how to fix it?? - Similar Threads - sda2 bootloader showing

2. How to repair the EFI bootloader in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    How to repair the EFI bootloader in Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]If you recently moved from BIOS to UEFI and you cannot boot your computer since then, here is how you can repair the EFI bootloader in Windows 11/10. It is pretty easy to repair the EFI bootloader using bcdboot command, and this article shows how you can use the...
  3. Windows 10 Not Showing Up On Grub Bootloader

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Not Showing Up On Grub Bootloader: Hello All, I decided to replace Ubuntu with Windows 10 since it has recently been released for free on all platforms. It is a 32-bit computer and when I go into GRUB Ubuntu Boot-loader it does not show up in the menu. I am not trying to multiboot, but replace it. Can...
  4. How to repair the bootloader

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to repair the bootloader: After running dual booting Pop!OS, I decide that it wasn't for me. I removed the partitions that it was installed on (windows is still there), and after rebooting, it's stuck in grub rescue. I used my windows USB to try automatic repair, nothing. In cmd I ran bootrec...
  5. Fix Windows 10 Bootloader

in Windows 10 Support
    Fix Windows 10 Bootloader: I installed Linux Ubuntu on external SSD and now i have problem with Windows 10 Bootloader. I always need to choose Boot Override and choose partition "Windows Boot Manager" in BIOS. How to fix it? [img] [img] 151685
  6. How to reinstall the Windows 10 bootloader?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to reinstall the Windows 10 bootloader?: I messed up and apparently my Windows 10 bootloader has been deleted. Any way to reinstall it? Start up repair and bootrec commands didn't do anything, I tried. I just want to reinstall the bootloader without having to tamper with my Windows installation. 131287
  7. Make Windows 10 Bootloader Override older Bootloader/GRUB

Make Windows 10 Bootloader Override older Bootloader/GRUB: I'm trying to setup a tri-boot on a Dell Optiplex 745 (Windows 10, 7, & Ubuntu)and I can't get Windows 10 Boot Manager as the default boot menu (the blue screen boot options menu [1]: https://i.stack.imgur.com/iILBt.png., not black screen boot options menu) [2]:...
  8. Make Windows 10 Bootloader Override Windows 7 Bootloader/GRUB

in Windows 10 Support
    Make Windows 10 Bootloader Override Windows 7 Bootloader/GRUB: I'm trying to setup a tri-boot on a Dell Optiplex 745 (Windows 10, 7, & Ubuntu)and I can't get Windows 10 Boot Manager as the default boot menu (the blue screen boot options menu [1]: https://i.stack.imgur.com/iILBt.png., not black screen boot options menu) [2]:...
  9. Fix Windows 10 Bootloader

in Windows 10 Support
    Fix Windows 10 Bootloader: You're welcome. Hope it helps you get things squared away. --Ed--
  10. No Bootloader for windows 10

No Bootloader for windows 10: Hello! Alright i desperately need help. When i installed windows 10 I had a separate drive attached with an installment of Windows 7. Now that i want to return that drive to the original owner my drive with Windows 10 installed on it refuses to boot because my motherboard...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. mount dev sda1 windows

2. boot menu 2 entries for windows 10 /sda1 and /sda2

3. win10 bootloader sda1 and sda2

4. Windows 10 version 1809 sda2,
  5. windows 10 (loader) (on /dev/sda1),
  6. showin windows 10 in sda1 and sda2