Windows 10: Windows 10 is telling me to upgrade my build, but I can't.

Discus and support Windows 10 is telling me to upgrade my build, but I can't. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My friend got this message saying to upgrade: "Install a new build of Windows now" "This build of windows has expired, so your PC will restart... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by salvo, Oct 1, 2015.

1. salvo Win User

Windows 10 is telling me to upgrade my build, but I can't.

My friend got this message saying to upgrade:

"Install a new build of Windows now"
    "This build of windows has expired, so your PC will restart every few hours, and eventually will fail to start. Go online for more information."

But we've tried everything and nothing seems to work, and everytime we try to check for new updates in the control panel we get this error code "0x80072efd".

Build of Windows 10 that we're currently using is 9926.

Any help is appreciated!!

:)

salvo, Oct 1, 2015
  2. Alan C111 Win User

Windows 10 Update Fails

As my original post said I am on Windows 10 Version 1607 Build 14393.1944 - I can't believe that Microsoft somehow thinks it's ok that an average user, when their system can't apply a standard update, should have to manually fiddle with their operating system!

The upgrade that is trying to be applied is Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709.

Why can't the upgrade tell me which component is causing the problem?

NOT HAPPY.

Alan C111, Oct 1, 2015
  3. windows 10 pro upgrade.

my laptop is windows 10 pro build 10240. I want to upgrade this pc
    windows 10 pro 1511 build 10586 with media creation tool. so please tell me that when i upgrade for new version of windows 10 with media creation tool then which option i select? :-
    1) upgrade this pc now and 2) create installation media for another pc. please tell me which option i select for upgrade
    windows 10 version 1511 build 10586..

memainakdutta, Oct 1, 2015
  4. hawkman Win User

That message appears after a Technical preview has "expired" to confirm, is there a watermark in bottom right corner with the build No, if so what is it

Roy

hawkman, Oct 1, 2015
  5. hawkman Win User
    Yep that build's dead and buried, you will have to rejoin the Insider program to get the latest Technical Preview, by the way as your showing MAC OS, on your specs, you will only be able to get TP versions.

Roy

hawkman, Oct 1, 2015
  6. For us non-experts, how do I do this? I'm having a similar issue.

Your instructions are to "rejoin" the Insider program but don't explain at all how to do that. I assume I go to a Windows Insider page somewhere at Microsoft.com? I look for a page titled something like "My Windows is expired. It told me to check online or something but when I do, I get an error. Now I read on an internet forum that what all of this actually means is my build is 'dead and buried' which turns out means, in reality, that I have to rejoin Windows Insider."

That all sounds pretty crytpic and riddle-like. Can you please be a little more specific about how exactly to "rejoin the Windows Insider" program?

When I click on the link on the "This build of windows has expired, so your PC will restart every few hours, and eventually will fail to start. Go online for more information" error message, it takes me to this page:

Windows 10

After I download the 64-Bit "Tool", it tries to reinstall Windows. There is no option to "Upgrade This PC Now", as it warns, anywhere during the Windows reinstall process for me. It wants me to enter a Product Key which I don't have because this is the Insider program, right? And we're using beta "builds"? My build, btw, is 10130.

Now what do I do? Please, please, please be specific.

Thank you so much!

Windows10IsRuin, Oct 4, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Well, I know what I would do:

1. Download the MiniTool Partition Wizard ISO and make a bootable DVD or USB from it.
    2. Make a Windows 10 install USB or DVD with the exact same version of Windows 10 you have now (Pro, Home, Single Language, etc) with the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (should be build 10240).
    3. Boot with the Partition Wizard disk/usb and shrink the main operating system partition to make room for a new, at least 50gb partition and make a new primary partition in the empty space, format to NTFS.
    4. Boot with the Windows 10 install USB/DVD and do a clean install of Windows 10 to the newly created partition. When it asks for a product key, "skip" or "do this later".
    5. Check to see if the new Windows 10 install activates. If it does, then you have a permanent Windows 10 install on your computer.

If the new Windows 10 clean install does not activate, then you can either go back to a Windows 7/8/8.1 and upgrade from that - or purchase a Windows 10 Product Key.

NavyLCDR, Oct 4, 2015
  8. salvo Win User

Joining the insider group worked thanks! Now I just updated to the recent build, and is telling me I need a product key and they "sent" it to my email but I don't see it,

salvo, Oct 5, 2015
  9. salvo Win User
    Still having troubles with my friends computer,, I made a couple posts the other day and we thought the problem was going to be fixed but it's not.

The computer is currently on build 9926, we've tried going into the control panel to use the windows update but apparently the update servers aren't working on build 9926.

We've also joined the Windows Insider group, that hasn't done anything.

Also have tried using the following 2 ISO's:

Download Windows 10 RTM Build 10240 ISO - Microsoft News (Did nothing after restarting the computer)

Download Windows 10 Build 10547 ISO - Microsoft News (Requires a key after starting up, which we have no idea what it is, because it isn't listed on the site)

Not sure if this has anything to do with it either, but apparently windows isn't activated on the computer Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet and where it says "Install the latest version of windows" we get this erorr Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Starting to panic since in 9 days the build 9926 won't become bootable Windows 10 builds stop booting when they expire - gHacks Tech News so if you could please let me know what to do that'd be great, any help is appreciated!

salvo, Oct 6, 2015
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Maybe go back to a purchased version of Windows that you can upgrade to a permanently activated Windows 10?

NavyLCDR, Oct 6, 2015
  11. IIRC somebody said here they were able to activate an in place upgraded win 7 > to activated Win 10 box with a new win 7 clean install with a product key ( IIRC ) and othwerewise upgrade that to RTM ( I think ) from win 7 like you said where the previous activated win 10 refused to clean install re set ( or someting like that .) I dont remember if it was an Insider test buld or RTM ,retail or OEM win 7 before the problems though .

blutos cousin, Oct 6, 2015
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yes, that is the way people who pay for Windows get Windows 10 permanently activated. They upgrade from a previously activated Windows 7/8/8.1.

NavyLCDR, Oct 6, 2015
  13. Windows 10 is telling me to upgrade my build, but I can't.

Right I have three PC's here upgraded in place from OEM Win 7 pro to Win 10 RTM pro including this one which is a dual boot configuration with W10 RTM & Windows Insider test build 10547 on the same NTFS hdd. 2 of them had clean installs from within an actvared RTM Win 10 buld after the upgrades . The other one was upgraded over a frash win 7 clean install.

I was getting that the OP had a problem with a win 10 build refusing to re set or clean install over an activeted win 10 build or something like that .

Someone said they went back to win 7 from an activeted (maybe corrupt ) win 10 upgrade via a Win 7 clean install and was able to activate it then upgrade ( agian ) to Windows 10 from the same Win 7 OS .

OTOH I dont know if that was origionally an OEM or retail Win 7 build. :shrug:

blutos cousin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 is telling me to upgrade my build, but I can't. - Similar Threads - telling upgrade build

2. my laptop tells me i can upgrade to windows 11 from windows 10 can i reverse this

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    my laptop tells me i can upgrade to windows 11 from windows 10 can i reverse this: if my installed programmes dont work correctly on windows 11 can i revert back to windows 10 on acer swift 3 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-tells-me-i-can-upgrade-to-windows-11/6e308738-4459-4558-a030-b91efb5c6c01
  3. my laptop tells me i can upgrade to windows 11 from windows 10 can i reverse this

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my laptop tells me i can upgrade to windows 11 from windows 10 can i reverse this: if my installed programmes dont work correctly on windows 11 can i revert back to windows 10 on acer swift 3 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-tells-me-i-can-upgrade-to-windows-11/6e308738-4459-4558-a030-b91efb5c6c01
  4. my laptop tells me i can upgrade to windows 11 from windows 10 can i reverse this

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I want to activate windows but when I activate it, it tells me I need to upgrade my...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I want to activate windows but when I activate it, it tells me I need to upgrade my...: It says "Unable to upgrade your edition" and gives me the error code 0x80070002 every time https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-activate-windows-but-when-i-activate-it/89379751-e664-4b35-9b40-9a089ecbe15c
  6. I can't get in to my wifi because it is telling me to do this

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't get in to my wifi because it is telling me to do this: 4147931803 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-get-in-to-my-wifi-because-it-is-telling-me/4d4adda6-ce69-45d9-a014-608618b686c6
  7. I can't get in to my wifi because it is telling me to do this

I can't get in to my wifi because it is telling me to do this: 4147931803 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-get-in-to-my-wifi-because-it-is-telling-me/4d4adda6-ce69-45d9-a014-608618b686c6
  8. I can't get in to my wifi because it is telling me to do this

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  9. Please tell me, if I upgrade my Phototastic Collages app,

Please tell me, if I upgrade my Phototastic Collages app,: If I upgrade Phototastic Collages, may I print the collages I make with my own photos? If not, do you know of a program that allows me to do that? Thanks brennakc1...
  10. windows tells me my Laptop is up to date build 10240

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows tells me my Laptop is up to date build 10240: windows tells me my Laptop is up to date build 10240 Cant see this is correct [img] 33960