Windows 10: Windows 10 ISO: file system question

Discus and support Windows 10 ISO: file system question in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I don't want and I never used the "media creation tool". I Always donwload the ISO and then I usually put it in a dvd and in some pendrives.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Pipppero2007, May 27, 2017.

1. Windows 10 ISO: file system question

Hi,

I don't want and I never used the "media creation tool".

I Always donwload the ISO and then I usually put it in a dvd and in some pendrives.

But, I Always have some doubts that I want to clarify forever, if you can help me.

We have a WINDOWS 10.ISO (latest version).

If I am correct:

For LEGACY bios just COPY the ISO contents into the pendrive using NFTS and MBR.

For SECURE BOOT and UEFI bios just COPY the ISO into the pendrive using GPT and FAT32.

Said so, a program such RUFUS should be useless.

Please, tell me if I am right or correct me. I want to understand that forever.

PS: if someone use the Media Creation Tool, how this tool knows if the target is LEGACY or UEFI??? What kind of FS will use the tool itself??? It will pass the secure boot too?

:)

Pipppero2007, May 27, 2017
  2. WindowsOS Win User

Question about win 10 ISO File.

You will get the very Latest version available.

WindowsOS, May 27, 2017
  3. Question about win 10 ISO File.

I want to download the latest build of win 10 ISO. Does this link provide

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench latest build of ISO?

Like currently the latest version of win 10 is 10586.318. So will get this version from the above mentioned link or any previous version.

VarunBhandari, May 27, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Windows 10 ISO: file system question

A ISO is basically a disk image and must be written to the device by the correct software copying the contents isn't the correct way of doing it as it needs to write the correct boot sector

Samuria, May 27, 2017
  5. In this forum, in the last, someone said me that a copy (for gpt uefi fat32 as i remember) was enough.

I am not sure but once it worked without any tools (just copy).

Maybe a Rufus is needed only for ntfs mbr legacy?

I'd like to understand more of this just the have a precise idea. Also need to understand how the WMC tool works.

Pipppero2007, May 27, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    1) use fat32 in all cases.

2) the media creation tool creates a usb drive suitable for either install. It does it automatically - if drive is mbr formatted, it installs as legacy bios, if gpt - uefi. MCT really is easiest way to do it without thinking.

3) it works with secure boot on but in a hyper-v vm, you may need to turn it off.

cereberus, May 27, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Format the USB flash drive as FAT32. Mark the FAT32 partition on the USB flash drive as Active. Copy the files in the ISO file to the USB flash drive. It will boot in both Legacy BIOS and UEFI, secure boot enabled or not. The Media Creation Tool does not need to know if the target is UEFI or legacy BIOS because an Active FAT32 partition is compatible with both.

There is no need for RUFUS. The commands in diskpart are:

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk # <- replace # with the disk number of the usb flash drive
    clean <- this will erase the flash drive
    create part pri
    format fs=fat32 quick
    active
    exit
    exit

NavyLCDR, May 27, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

I always use command assign after format as that forces a mount point for a drive letter. I have found some sytems or drives (no idea which) do not automatically assign a drive letter. Should not happen but something causes that now and then. Never had issue since applying assign command.

cereberus, May 28, 2017
  9. I also do assign, active etc. It's just habit/routine for me now. I hardly ever use the MCT, as I usually use my MSDN ISO's and just use diskpart.

alphanumeric, May 28, 2017
  10. cereberus Win User
    Actually I rarely use active as I always use UEFI where it is not needed, but as belts-and-braces, fine.

cereberus, May 28, 2017
  11. I have a mix of both, my older desktop PC's are legacy and my newer laptops are UEFI. My ASUS laptop will actually do a UEFI install from an NTFS formatted thumb drive. It's just easier to do all my thumb drives the same way and not worry about them working or not working. *Wink

alphanumeric, May 28, 2017
  12. I didn't understand this reply to NavyLCDR.

If I am correct, basically, you tell me that:

1) ISO to be extracted
    2) format USB as FAT32
    3) copy ISO extracted to USB
    4) mark USB as active

Those commands I can do with diskpart but also with disk managment of Windows or 3rd party software of partitions (is right?) for people that don't want to use DOS interface.

Assuming what I wrote above is correct, I didn't understand about the "command assign" after format.

Pipppero2007, Jun 10, 2017
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

Formatting the partition with the format command should result in it getting a drive letter (such as E:\) automatically. The command assign will give it a drive letter if that did not happen automatically.

NavyLCDR, Jun 10, 2017
  14. diskpart
    list disk
    select disk # <- replace # with the disk number of the usb flash drive
    clean <- this will erase the flash drive
    create part pri
    format fs=fat32 quick
    assign
    active

exit
    exit

alphanumeric, Jun 10, 2017
  15. Hi,

I worked a little with Disk part because I wanted something very easy, fast and without any other software to use.

I think that using Disk part is though a little Dangerous. In my case, when I select the disk I don't have the LABEL of the disk but only the size and the position. Also, is easy to wrong something in a command interface.

I want only to ask that if I do these things with the simply Disk management of Windows I will achieve the same result.

I mean:

- DELETE the partition of USB
    - CREATE IT
    - FORMAT FAT32
    - MARK as ACTIVE
    - COPY ISO (extrated files) inside

This will let me to obtain a WORKING usb pen drive that wil be useful for LEGACY and for UEFI even with SECURE BOOT on?

Pipppero2007, Jun 18, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows 10 ISO: file system question - Similar Threads - ISO file system

2. Windows 10 iso: Lending an iso file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 iso: Lending an iso file: Is it legal to lend someone an iso file that I have installed with the Media Creation Tool downloaded directly from MS website? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-iso-lending-an-iso-file/9914836e-44cb-449b-9121-63b5e5dc3fa1
  3. Windows 10 iso: Lending an iso file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 iso: Lending an iso file: Is it legal to lend someone an iso file that I have installed with the Media Creation Tool downloaded directly from MS website? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-iso-lending-an-iso-file/9914836e-44cb-449b-9121-63b5e5dc3fa1
  4. Windows 10 iso: Lending an iso file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Questions regarding the Windows 10 ISO file

Questions regarding the Windows 10 ISO file: Yes yes indeed! I want to download the Windows 10 ISO file. Question: when I do that, does it download the full install, so when ever I need to do an In-Place repair, I don't have to download the whole thing all over again? Also, can I install this on another Drive other...
  6. Question on Downloading the Windows 10 ISO file

Question on Downloading the Windows 10 ISO file: Hi, I used the following tutorial to download the current Windows 10 iso file using the Media Creation Tool Download Windows 10 ISO File I followed everything exactly using Option One for Windows 10 Home. The questions I have relate to point 9 which says -: 9. Select where...
  7. Question on Downloading the Windows 10 ISO file

in Windows 10 Support
    Question on Downloading the Windows 10 ISO file: Hi, I used the following tutorial to download the current Windows 10 iso file using the Media Creation Tool Download Windows 10 ISO File I followed everything exactly using Option One for Windows 10 Home. The questions I have relate to point 9. 9. Select where you would like...
  8. Windows 10 ISO Question

Windows 10 ISO Question: My question is if the Win 10 ISO thumb drive you create to do a fresh install usable to install Win 10 on another PC? I had Win 7 Pro on my old PC. I did the Win 10 upgrade. Then did the fresh install using the ISO. I had already built a new gaming machine with Win 7 Pro...
  9. ISO file question

ISO file question: A few weeks ago, I created a Windows 10 recovery DVD, using the media creation tool. Since then, Microsoft has installed several Windows 10 updates. Is the ISO file updated with the most recent updates? If it's updated, how often is it updated? Is it wise every so often to...
  10. Windows 10 Iso question

Windows 10 Iso question: Hi, Ive just created a bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive using the Media Creation Tool. Everything went great with the installation...so thanks to you guys for all the advice I received :-) I was curious to see how old the ISO was that I'd downloaded. When I checked the...