Windows 10: Windows 10 ISO image burned to DVD won't boot

Discus and support Windows 10 ISO image burned to DVD won't boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, As per my title, when I burn the downloaded Windows 10 ISO to a DVD, it won't boot. It shows the blue squares but right about where the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ThinkingMonkey, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Windows 10 ISO image burned to DVD won't boot

Hi all,

As per my title, when I burn the downloaded Windows 10 ISO to a DVD, it won't boot. It shows the blue squares but right about where the spinning circle would appear, the system reboots.

I have the Windows 10 Pro English x64 ISO (2 of them, actually). I downloaded them with the Media Creation Tool.

I have successfully installed the upgrade to Windows 10 (was 8.1 originally) so that's not the problem. I'm trying to create a bootable Windows 10 DVD for a later clean install or to boot into a 'Repair Windows' environment.

I originally had 3 downloads of the ISO thinking that the one before it may have been corrupt but I have evidently lost one. I still have two of them, like I said.

Here are the details of the 2 ISO images:

1st image:
    File name: Windows_10_x64-01.iso:
    File size in Windows 10 - 3,255,232 KB
    File size reported with MD5/SHA-256 generator - 3,333,357,568 Bytes
    MD5 - 1512A193E2CC66B1BF77D7EB61B04BED
    SHA-256 - 5608001DCFF547163AEE1BAE17324635497A44452AAE4C9D3DEB30C922896BF9

2nd image:
    File name: Windows_10_x64-02.iso:
    File size in Windows 10 - 3,255,232 KB
    File size reported with MD5/SHA-256 generator - 3,333,357,568 Bytes
    MD5 - 635362D3FEE6222D5C2CBCB6110D831A
    SHA-256 - 1110BD290E54BF4C6E414E28B26D03F01A8E621126F71399F69A0FB710AD967C

As you can see, the file sizes are exactly the same, reported with 2 different methods, but the MD5 and SHA-256 hash values are different.

Which one is the right one? Evidently neither one because they both act exactly alike when burned to a DVD. Like I mentioned, they will boot to where you see the blue squares then reboot about when the spinning circle should appear.

I have burned the images to DVDs 3 different ways, with the Media Creation Tool, with ImgBurn, and with the Windows USB/DVD Download Tool.

I have used 2 brands of DVDs.

I don't believe the DVD media or the 3 burning apps are the problem. I've made bootable Windows 8.1, Acronis True Image, and Windows 7 DVDs on the same media and with the various burning apps. Yes, I am burning an image and not just burning the files to a DVD.

Wasting DVDs trying to figure this out? About 8 so far.

Does anyone have the proper MD5/SHA-256 hash values for the 'good' Windows 10 ISO image?

I've Googled quite a bit and you would think the Microsoft page that hosts the file would list it, but it doesn't.

BTW, the file named Windows_10_x64-01.iso is the one I mounted and successfully installed the upgrade with.

Thank you for any assistance.

:)

ThinkingMonkey, Aug 9, 2015
  2. AJMEPOLL Win User

Windows 10 won't download

The ISO file looks good, i'm concerned that it is being copied onto the DVD wrong.

When I try to boot from DVD-RW drive, the system completely ignores the disk and boots from the HD.

To burn the disk I select the ISO and select burn then it copies the file to the disk. There is another option that I keep trying "burn disk image" but it will not allow the operation to run.

Am I doing this right? Why won't it recognize the DVD? I even went into BIOS and set the 1st boot to the DVD-RW drive...

AJMEPOLL, Aug 9, 2015
  3. How to make a bootable windows 10 recovery disc

Hi

I have a PC which uses windows 8.1 preinstalled. I used the windows media creation tool to upgrade to windows 10. Then, with win 10 installed, I then used the creation tool to download the windows 10 ISO image file (approx 3.5GB) so I could burn it to a
    DVD to make a Windows 10 bootable recovery disc. The creation tool gave me the option to burn to disc, which when doing so opened up a box to burn to disc and verify after burning. Therefore, I used this option to burn the iso to disc, which occurred successfully.

However, there's now a problem in that the DVD/disc is not bootable. With the disc in the drive, I can go to the recovery centre, select advanced, and boot from DVD, and windows will restart and boot from the DVD no problem i.e. install windows 10 from the
    disc (which I had to do over the last few days, so I know it works that way round). However, with the disc in the drive and booting from a previous shutdown (i.e. pc turned off for a while, then starting up at a later date), windows starts normally and completely
    ignores the DVD iso image file; even after I've gone into the BIOS settings and changed the boot sequence to boot from optical drive.

I was told by someone that the problem may be how the disc was burned, in that I should have used a tool that specifically burns an iso image to make it bootable; apparently, the way it's burned at present could just be the same as burning e.g. a photo or
    program to a disc. I didn't use a special tool, I just let the windows media creator open the burning software in windows 10 and used that method.

If I can't start windows, I would want this disc to install without having to start windows. Therefore, how can I burn the iso image file so I can make it a recovery disc able to install from booting up, without having to go through the recovery centre?

Regards

sowhatcanIdonow, Aug 9, 2015
Thema:

Windows 10 ISO image burned to DVD won't boot

1. Windows 10 ISO image burned to DVD won't boot - Similar Threads - ISO image burned

2. My dvd won't burn

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My dvd won't burn: I pulled out my dvd burner to archive files and I noticed it was acting weird. When I put a disk in with data on it, it would re-format it. It didn't want to burn either as seen here and gave me an errorand yes I did use another disk burning software and it still did not...
  3. My dvd won't burn

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My dvd won't burn: I pulled out my dvd burner to archive files and I noticed it was acting weird. When I put a disk in with data on it, it would re-format it. It didn't want to burn either as seen here and gave me an errorand yes I did use another disk burning software and it still did not...
  4. My dvd won't burn

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. burn system image backup for windows 10 on a dvd

in Windows 10 Customization
    burn system image backup for windows 10 on a dvd: how do I manually burn a system image backup on a dvd? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/burn-system-image-backup-for-windows-10-on-a-dvd/8458a212-94c2-411c-a102-f8458e6fd170
  6. Burning ISO to DVD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Burning ISO to DVD: I want to burn the Windows 10 1903 ISO to my DVD. Problem is the DVD capacity is just shy of what I need. The ISO is 5.59 GB and the DVD is 4.37 GB. Any ideas, James...
  7. How to burn an .iso file to a dvd...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to burn an .iso file to a dvd...: its status is 'Files Ready to Burn'... the next step is not intuitive ... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-burn-an-iso-file-to-a-dvd/1da572d8-57f7-4dcf-a59d-2294f2c2ee0e"
  8. DVD Burner Won't Burn Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD Burner Won't Burn Windows 10: I have a Dell XPS 8300 running Windows 10 64 bit Home Edition. The problem I have originally ocurred when my computer was running windows 7. I upgraded to windows 10 hoping that would fix the problem ,but it did not. I have two DVD drives on the computer the original that...
  9. Burn Window 10 ISO to DVD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Burn Window 10 ISO to DVD: How do I burn Window 10 64 bit ISO to dvd that has 4.7GB only? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/burn-window-10-iso-to-dvd/7a738b61-21de-4618-854d-8298399fbbd9
  10. burning an ISO DVD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    burning an ISO DVD: I burned one with Windows 7 and noticed it seemed to burn at full speed. Is it worth using a program like imgburn which allows you to select slower burn speeds, perhaps resulting in fewer installation problems? 6448

Users found this page by searching for:

1. burned windows 10 image but wont boot

2. how to boot from iso burned on dvd

3. why iso burned on dvd will not boot

4. windows 10 iso won t boot,
  5. windows 10 wont boot from dvd iso