Windows 10: Windows 10 issue when switching from 2 displays to 1

Discus and support Windows 10 issue when switching from 2 displays to 1 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I'm relatively new to Windows 10. I usually run with a second display, but occasionally use just my laptop's display. When I switch from dual-display... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MJ Kahn (mj), Jul 12, 2018.

1. Windows 10 issue when switching from 2 displays to 1

I'm relatively new to Windows 10. I usually run with a second display, but occasionally use just my laptop's display. When I switch from dual-display to single, Windows 10 suddenly manages my windows very differently. Specifically, I can work with only one window at a time because Windows forces it to be maximized. Sometimes I can get a second window to display, but then I can't overlap the two windows - if I resize one to make it wider, the other window automatically resizes to make room for it.

I've seen articles that say, "Right-click on an empty spot on the taskbar and click on 'Cascade Windows,'" but when I'm in this mode, "Cascade Windows" doesn't appear.

I just want to be able to work with my windows the same way I do when I have two monitors! Any suggestions?

:)

MJ Kahn (mj), Jul 12, 2018

2. Taskbar bug: switching to another window -will not appear at the front

Follow either of these steps to fix the issue with the Active window hiding behind.

Method 1:
    I suggest you to disable window by hovering over it with the mouse and check if it helps. To do so I suggest you to try the below given steps and check if it helps:

• Press Windows key + X key and click on Control Panel.
    • Select or click Ease of Access.
    • Click or tap onEase of Access Centre.
    • Click on Make the Mouse Easier to Use was uncheck Activate Window by hovering over it with the mouse.
    • Check if issue is resolved.
    Method 2:
    I would suggest you to completely uninstall the touchpad driver and reinstall it. Kindly follow the below given steps.

• Press “Windows key + X” and click on “Device Manager”.
    • In the list of devices, you should see the touchpad drivers.
    • Right click on the device and then select "Uninstall".
    • In the uninstall dialog, make sure you select the option to delete the driver package from the system. This causes the driver package installed earlier to be deleted.
    • In the Action menu of Device manager, select “Scan for Hardware changes” option. This will cause the device driver to be reinstalled. Once the driver is installed, close all windows and restart the computer.

ChojiTiger, Jul 12, 2018
  3. Windows switching automatically in Windows 10

Hello Jimmy,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft Community and providing us with the detailed description about the issue.

As per the description, I understand that you are experiencing issue Windows switching automatically in Window 10 on the system.

I certainly understand your concern and will try my best to help you.

There is a possibility that this issue might have occurred due to corrupt display drivers on the system.

I would suggest you to try the following steps and check if that helps.

Step 1: Update the Display driver.
    Please follow the steps given below to update the display driver.

• Click Start and go to
      Run.

• In the Run prompt, type
      devmgmt.msc
      and then click OK.

• Device Manager will open.

• In Device Manager
      expand Display adapters.

• Right-click the display driver and click
      Update Driver Software.

• Select Search Automatically for Updated Driver Software.
    Step 2: Check if there are any updates for display drivers available in Optional Updates; this might fix the issue. Refer to the following steps.

• At the Start screen, type Windows Update.

• Click or tap Settings on the right side of the screen, and then select Install optional updates from the left results.

• When the Windows Update control panel opens, click on “Check for Updates” on the top left corner to receive a fresh list of updates.
    Step 3: If the issue persists, I would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the Display driver. Please follow the steps mentioned below to uninstall the display driver.

• Open Device Manager.

• Expand Display adapters.

• Right-click the display card driver and click
      Uninstall.

• Windows will prompt you to confirm the device’s removal. Click OK to remove the driver.

• After the un-installation is complete, reboot your computer as soon as possible.
    Computer will load the generic display drivers. Now, please go to the manufacturer’s website, download and install the compatible display card drivers for your computer and check.

You may also refer to the following website below to download the drivers for the Graphics card.

Download Drivers.

The above steps holds good for Windows 10 as well.

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Jayant Gupta, Jul 12, 2018
  4. csatennis Win User

Windows 10 issue when switching from 2 displays to 1

Taskbar bug: switching to another window -will not appear at the front

I have been trying to fix this for months. Your solution Method 1 seemed to work. THANK YOU!!!!

csatennis, Jul 12, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 issue when switching from 2 displays to 1

1. Windows 10 issue when switching from 2 displays to 1 - Similar Threads - issue switching displays

2. 2 displays showing even with 1 display

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    2 displays showing even with 1 display: I check my settings and it shows 2 displays. However I only have one monitor. It's annoying to have this. Please help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/2-displays-showing-even-with-1-display/a3d817d0-1842-47f1-b73f-61d923596762
  3. Dual Display: Window of Display 2 on Display 1?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual Display: Window of Display 2 on Display 1?: My setup: PC is connected to a 22" monitor display 1 on a desk. Second monitor display 2 is a large screen television in the waiting room not visible from desk that runs an application that routes customers to specific service windows. Is there a way to see a small windowed...
  4. Dual Display: Window of Display 2 on Display 1?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual Display: Window of Display 2 on Display 1?: My setup: PC is connected to a 22" monitor display 1 on a desk. Second monitor display 2 is a large screen television in the waiting room not visible from desk that runs an application that routes customers to specific service windows. Is there a way to see a small windowed...
  5. Dual Display: Window of Display 2 on Display 1?

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Maximized Window in Display 1 is overlapping into Display 2

Maximized Window in Display 1 is overlapping into Display 2: Whenever I maximize a window on Display 1, it overlaps as a white bar into display 2. I have attempted adjusting the displays and updating my GPU to no effect. What should I do to remediate this issue? Here's a picture without a window maximized: [IMG] Here's a picture...
  7. Windows 10 Monitor 1 and 2 are not showing in Display

Windows 10 Monitor 1 and 2 are not showing in Display: I want to add a 2nd monitor to my son's PC and when I got to display to extend from 1 to 2 monitors, NEITHER monitor boxes are showing. Detect doesn't find either of them. My son is currently using Monitor 1 to play his game but I wanted to add the other monitor and I can....
  8. Display 1/2 bug

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Display 1/2 bug: Current situation: •Display 1: set as main panel, but recognized as if display 2 •Disolay 2: set as extended display, but recognized as display 1 So if I open things or play my display 1 is the main panel, no problem. But if I want to set my windows colors fitting my...
  9. Switching which monitor is 1 or 2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Switching which monitor is 1 or 2: I would like to switch which monitor is 1 or 2 in a dual monitor setup. I realize I can select which monitor is my default monitor but this is not sufficient. When I use windows key+P If I choose "computer monitor" it does not go to my default monitor. The other issue is,...
  10. Switching Display 1 and 2.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Switching Display 1 and 2.: Switching Display 1 and 2. I want to switch my 2 monitors and recognize them opposite as they are now https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/switching-display-1-and-2/cfcb116b-cab1-405a-a33f-fac609d68616