Windows 10: Windows 10 issue with start menu, action center not functioning

Discus and support Windows 10 issue with start menu, action center not functioning in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello. This issue just started yesterday and I have done everything I could think of to solve it with no luck. After several hours of trouble shooting,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jpk1080, Sep 27, 2016.

1. jpk1080 Win User

Windows 10 issue with start menu, action center not functioning

Hello. This issue just started yesterday and I have done everything I could think of to solve it with no luck. After several hours of trouble shooting, I did narrow down the issue, but can't make sense of it. I have windows 10 pro and have updated all the drivers to the most current. Yesterday, I noticed that I could not open the start menu with left click. Right click functioned but that was it. Also, right clicking any icon on the task bar did not work along with the windows action center button in the bottom right corner not functioning. Again, I could right click on those, but not left click. I do have a multiple monitor setup. I tried the basics like restarting, safemode, etc. None of those took care of the issue. Afterwards, I dug in deeper doing some powershell changes, sfc /scannow, a couple registry tweaks and a multitude of other things all with no luck. Finally this afternoon I discovered that when I make the secondary monitor the primary one, everything works fine. As soon as I make my main monitor the primary again, no luck. I have downloaded intel gpu drivers, driverss for the second monitor, changed resolutions, and some other tweaks. Nothing seems to work. Any advise on how I could possibly fix this issue would be awesome. Much appreciated.

:)

jpk1080, Sep 27, 2016

2. Start Menu and Action Center not functioning after waking from sleep

Im not sure how to mark ny response as the answer which it was for my specific scenario?

HanwellHobo, Sep 27, 2016
  3. Rudy64 Win User
    Start Menu and Action Center not functioning after waking from sleep

This has been broken since Windows 10 first was released, and still no official fix yet? "Repairing" has no effect. Clean installations of Win10 have no effect either.

It's about time MS fixes this usability bug. It has been there from day one. As important as the start menu is, I don't understand the refusal to fix this.

Rudy64, Sep 27, 2016
  4. jpk1080 Win User

Sorry to bump this but can't for the life of me figure it out. Thank you.

jpk1080, Oct 4, 2016
  5. deadkenny Win User
    Similar with me. Some pop up menus don't appear or show as a shell with no content. Many Win32 apps, including Microsoft Outlook, Device Manager, regedit, have weird display issues with menus not appears, tree controls don't draw on expanding, scrollbars move but contents don't scroll. If I switch to another app and back those windows update.

This is on my Dell Venue 11 Pro with touch display and another issue is using command prompt, typing on touch keyboard is not refreshing the command prompt text.

Oddly, UWP apps are generally working okay.

Anyway, although I don't have a second display, if I go to the action centre, tap Project and then Duplicate, it refreshes the display. Go back to PC Screen Only, and all is fine, for now. It's similar to a reboot.

This is all after the last cumulative update (just after the Anniversary Update). Desktop with the same update is no problem.

Intel HD Graphics built into the venue. No new drivers available. Did an sfc /scannow and no issues.

deadkenny, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 issue with start menu, action center not functioning - Similar Threads - issue start menu

2. Start Menu, Action center and Window Border Transparency In Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu, Action center and Window Border Transparency In Windows 10.: I want to make my windows 10 taskbar, start menu, action center and window borders transparent in windows 10. I achieved taskbar transparency through tweaking registry.But I dont know how to make start menu, action center and window borders transparent. Could anyone help me...
  3. Can't access the start menu, or action center

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't access the start menu, or action center: I bought MS Surface Book i5 from a pawn shop. I guess they wiped it and reset it. I can't access the start menu, action center, settings menu, theres no browsers, no apps, no cortana nothing. All i can really do is get a wifi connection and open windows store. It has Win 10...
  4. Issue with Action Center

Issue with Action Center: Hi, I am facing an issue related to Action Center. It was displaying/pop up every sec when i click/touch on the key board. so every time i need to point the cursor on monitor to continue my work due to interruption of this action center. It's irritating every time not...
  5. Issues with Action Center Windows 10

Issues with Action Center Windows 10: I'm getting emails in my mail app, but the action center isn't doing anything when I receive the email. I have windows 10 2019 version of 1809, and don't plan to upgrade it. How can I fix my action center?...
  6. Taskbar icons. start menu, action center not functioning

Taskbar icons. start menu, action center not functioning: Please help, taskbar icons (Windows app icons e.g. edge, win store, calculator, win defender, etc.), that includes windows start menu and action center icosns does not function when you click. how to solve. thank you...
  7. Windows 10 - Action Center, Start Menu, and Win10 Apps not opening

Windows 10 - Action Center, Start Menu, and Win10 Apps not opening: Hi all, For the past couple of days, I have been having an issue with my start menu/action center not opening. Another issue is that all Windows 10 apps do not open and display the error: explorer.exe - class not registered. If anyone could help, that would be great!...
  8. Action Center and Start Menu Continually Fail

in Windows 10 Support
    Action Center and Start Menu Continually Fail: Device: Surface Pro 4 OS: Fully Updated Windows 10 Issue: Action Center and Start Menu continually fail. Symptoms: After an unpredictable amount of time, Action Center and Start Menu will not open using multiple prompts. Action Center will not respond to taskbar link or...
  9. Start button and action center button lose functionality

in Windows 10 Support
    Start button and action center button lose functionality: We had a power outage earlier this week which shut down my PC. Upon restart, the 'normal' error screen that 'Windows encountered an error and didn't shutdown correctly' (Safe Mode screen) never appeared and it seemed to boot normally. Ever since, even after a couple of...
  10. Action Center issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Action Center issue: I have the the white action center icon in the lower right portion of my taskbar. It shows I have new notifications when I hover over it but when I click on it , it doesn't do anything. With previous builds I could click on it and the notifications would slide out from the...