Windows 10: Windows 10 keeps reinstalling KB3119142

Discus and support Windows 10 keeps reinstalling KB3119142 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; KB3119142 (Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Update 4 Redistributable Package) keeps downloading in the Windows 10 Update app. Windows apparently... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Orange71, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Orange71 Win User

Windows 10 keeps reinstalling KB3119142

KB3119142 (Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Update 4 Redistributable Package) keeps downloading in the Windows 10 Update app. Windows apparently attempts to reinstall it each time, and each time it installs successfully according to the log screen. What is going on? Is this a bug others are experiencing?

Windows 10 keeps reinstalling KB3119142 [​IMG]

Windows 10 keeps reinstalling KB3119142 [​IMG]

:)

Orange71, Jan 14, 2016
  2. TimMcFarlane, Jan 14, 2016
  3. Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Update 4 Redistributable Package (KB3119142) keeps installing

Nice Find!

Problem solved, thank you!

I found that the solution found at
    http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/37532-windows-10-keeps-reinstalling-kb3119142.html
    worked for me.

One caveat. The new Windows 10 settings does not allow you to repair as suggested by this solution. I had to start the old control panel in order to be able to use the solution suggested. Once I did that, then I was able to use the solution found at this
    website and it did solve the problem for me.

Unable to find the old Control Panel and Installed Updates does not include KB3119142. Solution above does not work with Windows 10. Any further advice?

JWR146_542, Jan 14, 2016
  4. Windows 10 keeps reinstalling KB3119142

I am experiencing the same problem myself. I was wondering why it was repeatedly downloading (successfully) that KB3119142 update. Been doing it since Tuesday's Windows monthly update whenever I get my Windows Defender definitions update throughout the day. It just did it again just a few minutes ago before posting this.

I'm using Windows 10 Home edition, Build 10240.

I am also wondering what is going here as well with this? It's got to be some kind of bug or hiccup.

robbie2745, Jan 14, 2016
  5. cbwilsha Win User
    Go to Programs and Features and right click on the MS C++ 2012 listing there. Click on Change and then Repair. Restart your computer. I had the same problem since installing 11099 and found this answer on Win 10 Insider Forum and it worked for me.

cbwilsha, Jan 14, 2016
  6. Thank you! That took care of it for me as I ran a manual update. Only the Defender definitions updated this time. None of those 4 'rapid-fire' C++ updates occurred.

robbie2745, Jan 14, 2016
  7. Orange71 Win User
    The proposed solution cbwilsha posted worked for me as well, although I might mention there are both x64 and x86 MS C++ 2012 Redistributable packages on my PC. I had to run the Repair procedure on both to deal with the bug. I guess I will consult my astrology charts next time MS pushes out updates on these packages to make sure the stars are favorably aligned *Wink

Orange71, Jan 15, 2016
  8. Holydoc Win User

Let me see if I understand.

You say "Go to Programs and Features". Do you really mean "Apps & features"?

Then you say " right click on the MS C++ 2012 listing there. Click on Change and then Repair." Do you really mean "Left click on Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable (x64) - 11.0.61030 and then click on Modify. Click on Modify again. Then click on repair"?

Or is something else I should be doing? Please don't skip any steps since I am not an expert at this.

Holydoc, Jan 26, 2016
  9. cbwilsha Win User
    No, I did not mean "Apps and Features". I meant exactly what I said--"Programs and Features". Right click the Windows Start Icon at the lower left of your screen in the taskbar and click on Programs and Features at the top of the list there. If you are familiar with Control Panel, you can also go there and click on Programs and Features.

I also meant exactly what I said about how to repair. However, since I wrote that and had the problem again with Insider Build 11102, I did discover that you can left click the C++2012 entry(s) and get a repair option directly. Also, if there is more than one C++2012 entry, you need to repair both. You will probably have a (X64) entry and a (X86) entry.

I don't know how I can explain this any more clearly but if you're still having problems, post back..

cbwilsha, Jan 26, 2016
  10. Holydoc Win User
    Thanks so much for being patient with me! I actually thought that Windows 10 had gotten rid of the Control Panel. I will definitely try this option.

/smile At least now, I will understand what is meant when someone says go to Programs and Features.

Thanks again!

Holydoc, Jan 27, 2016
  11. tapasman Win User
    neither this nor any of the Microsoft provided solutions have worked for me any suggestions?

Windows version 1511 (OS build 10586.71) x64 bit

tapasman, Jan 27, 2016
  12. Abc123 Win User
    I'm having this problem as well except mine were not installing correctly (the first one did originally, but all of the duplicates since have been failing). Then, I attempted the fix explained above and after I restarted, 4 more copies of the update were installed, this time all were successful. I only discovered the problem because suddenly today, all of the icons for Windows Apps on my start menu are missing and their names show up as @{Microsoft.BingWeather_4.....} and so forth. The first thing I did was open the Updater and check for updates, and that's when I was told this update failed. When I checked the history, I saw this has been going on daily despite a successful install last week.

Are my problems related?

Abc123, Jan 30, 2016
  13. Holydoc Win User

Abc123,

I do not know if your problems are related. I would not think so since mine was fixed by the above process. I will let others chime in with better suggestions.

Holydoc, Jan 30, 2016
  14. Manotee Win User
    I can't believe MS has not solved this problem. I have done the repair on MS Visual C++ 2012 twice since doing a clean rebuild early this month. It stops KB3119142 for a while, but MS Visual C++ 2012 breaks again and KB3119142 starts installing again. It has updated 8 times since I rebuilt 10 Home, 5 times today.

What makes the 5 times today so strange is I paid for and installed 10 Pro yesterday, used Group Edit to set Windows Update to Notify to Download and Install. No updates should be applied until I select them to install. In spite of this, KB3119142 installed 5 times today.

Not only is KB3119142 broken, but Windows Update in 10 Pro is broken. I should ask MS for a partial refund for 10 Pro, since it isn't working right.

Manotee, Jan 30, 2016
  15. Slugger Win User
    I also had this problem . I went to Programs and Features and repaired every Microsoft Visual C++ 20XX Redistributable that could be repaired . I noticed some of them gave me an error and said that Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable was uninstalled. Reboot.

I then went to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=30679

Click on Click here
    Install X64 and X32 only not arm. Reboot. Now it's fixed.

Slugger, Jan 30, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 keeps reinstalling KB3119142 - Similar Threads - keeps reinstalling KB3119142

2. Computer keep restarting after reinstalling Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer keep restarting after reinstalling Windows 10: Hi my computer keep restarting after I'm about to reinstall windows 10.Before it happen it just reinstalling normally and then after that it send me to bios and keep restarting and I did not finish my reinstalling of my windows 10....
  3. Connection keeps dropping after windows 10 reinstall.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connection keeps dropping after windows 10 reinstall.: I formatted all my drives and reinstalled windows the other day, ever since my connection on this pc only this pc keeps dropping randomly it happens alot. I've tried alot of fixes i've found online but non have helped so far, it feels like i've tried all but obviously that is...
  4. Connection keeps dropping after windows 10 reinstall.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connection keeps dropping after windows 10 reinstall.: I formatted all my drives and reinstalled windows the other day, ever since my connection on this pc only this pc keeps dropping randomly it happens alot. I've tried alot of fixes i've found online but non have helped so far, it feels like i've tried all but obviously that is...
  5. Windows 10 keeps reinstalling drivers to old ones.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 keeps reinstalling drivers to old ones.: Hello. I'm using modded Nvidia GPU drivers, it works perfectly fine but after few days windows automatically install some old one and overwrites mine. Is there any way to stop this?...
  6. Reinstall Windows 10 while keeping data and applications

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstall Windows 10 while keeping data and applications: I’ve been following this article https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4000735/windows-10-reinstall to try and resolve some underlying issues that i believe are present in my Windows 10 Home system. The article says there is a way to ‘recover’ a Windows 10 system after the...
  7. Reinstall Windows 10 + Keep 3rd party apps

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reinstall Windows 10 + Keep 3rd party apps: Long story short reinstalling Windows 10 is my current best bet to restoring 'Photos' and other core Windows apps which no longer open / restart / reinstall / delete (I've tried everything). I'd just like to know before I do it, maybe someone has experience... If I opt for...
  8. Windows reinstallation (keeping originality)

Windows reinstallation (keeping originality): Hey there community, I have an dell G3 laptop with windows 10 installed For now i know for sure that my windows is corrupted as many of its features are malfunctioning. I have tried dism and sfc and both end up with errors and are not able to complete there process. Also...
  9. Computer keeps reinstalling to the same screen after reinstalling Windows 10

Computer keeps reinstalling to the same screen after reinstalling Windows 10: I did a clean install on my laptop by going into advanced startup and choosing one of the options to remove everything from the drive. When it finished it brought me to a Hi There screen that asked for my country, language, and time zone. When I click next it says there's a...
  10. C++ 2012 update KB3119142

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    C++ 2012 update KB3119142: my desktop running windows 10 version 1511 (OS build 10586.164) update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 update 4 redistributable package (KB31191142) had this update everyday for last 4 days and today update history says it been updated 4X anyone know whats causing this 44445