Windows 10: Windows 10 keeps reseting default apps

Discus and support Windows 10 keeps reseting default apps in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, I'm a IT support technician in a group where we have several hundred of machines with windows 10 1709 Installed (16299.492). I have a problem... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Rodolphe38, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Windows 10 keeps reseting default apps

Hello,

I'm a IT support technician in a group where we have several hundred of machines with windows 10 1709 Installed (16299.492).

I have a problem with a few of them (not all) :

Everytime we restart the PC, windows decides to revert the defaults app to default, IE .pdf with edge...and so on.

What I have tried so far :

- "open with" default with "always use..."ticked"

- run : control /name Microsoft.DefaultPrograms /page pageFileAssoc and choose .pdf to open with acrobatreader.

- Messing around with the registry : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pdf and othters

- DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

The only time I was able to keep .pdf to open acrobat reader after a reboot was when I removed the full access right on HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pdf\Userchoice, but it makes the task bar going crazy.

Every time Windows reboot it changes the "Progld" back to "AppXd4nrz8ff68srnhf9t5a8sbjyar1cr723".

It happens on every account off the PC (admin, users...)

I don't want to reinstall the machine since it was installed 2 weeks a ago and there's a ton of softwares on it (autocad 2014, 2018........)

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards.

:)

Rodolphe38, Aug 10, 2018
  2. puma99dk| Win User

Windows 10 forgets default apps

I have noticed like not 5mins ago that Winamp just got kicked out of my default apps list in Windows 10 Pro.
    I installed this installation not max 3 weeks ago with fresh downloaded Windows 10 Pro using Microsoft Media Creation Tool, is there a way to fix this bcs I using sfc /scannow don't do a lot for me and I have run it before on this installation.

Before u ask, I have fully updated my Windows 10 with all non-insider/beta updates.

The only thing I have disabled is the uac prompt that popup when u need admin for applications to run bcs it's simply annoying.

I don't remember having all these problems with Windows 8.1 Pro when i was using that and I am really thinking about going back so I can have "fully control" over Windows again with like disabling all the admin crap bcs I feel like it's messing more up and makes things less useful in Windows 10 with all these small problems I have and I read a lot of ppl having problems with various things time and time again where they needed to reinstall Win10 over and over to get it to work fully.

Any advice on how I can get Windows 10 to just work as a "daily driver" without all these small annoying things? *Frown Windows 10 keeps reseting default apps :(

puma99dk|, Aug 10, 2018
  3. How to reset Windows 10 settings to default?

Hi,

As per your concern, some settings on Windows 10 have default options. You can reset Windows 10 to its defaults app by following this steps.

• Go to Settings.
    • Choose System.
    • On the left side, select Default app.

Windows 10 keeps reseting default apps ea3e6a93-7042-4c55-9b4e-a912780c3b97.png

• Under Reset to the Microsoft recommended defaults, click Reset.
    Regarding your concern with default button on each setting, you have a great idea. We suggest that you share your comments on our Windows Feedback hub for us to improve our services. Simply type
    Windows Feedback on the Start menu.

Should you have further questions, feel free to get back to us.

Monica Cam, Aug 10, 2018
  4. Windows 10 keeps reseting default apps

Windows 10 keeps resetting my Default Programs for .wav and internet.

Hi Carey,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting your query.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

To understand the issue better, I would like to know how did you set the .wav files default to Windows Media Player?
    Please elaborate the steps.

For now let’s try simple troubleshooting steps and check if this helps in resolving the issue. Follow the below steps.

• On the Windows search bar type default program and select
      Default Program.

• Click on Default app and click on
      Choose default app by file type.

• Locate for the .wav, click next to it and select
      Windows media player.

If the issue still persist, if might be possible that the user account is corrupt. I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue still persist. Visit the below link to create new user account.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-10

Hope this helps. Keep posting us with the status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Aug 10, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 keeps reseting default apps

1. Windows 10 keeps reseting default apps - Similar Threads - keeps reseting default

2. Mail App -Default Font keeps resetting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mail App -Default Font keeps resetting: I've tried numerous times to reset the mail app/program settings for the default font from a light grey to a darker gray or black. I've tried multiple times through the settings app and to all accounts. I've tired changing the size and every time I save and start a new...
  3. An app default was reset

in Windows 10 Customization
    An app default was reset: A few days ago this message appeared in my notification. An app default was reset. An app caused a problem with the default app setting for .raw so it was reset to Photos Now start up and sign in are sometime slow/sluggish and sometimes before sign in i get a momentary...
  4. Windows 10 settings keep resetting to defaults

Windows 10 settings keep resetting to defaults: Hello! Specs: Windows 10 Enterprise 64 bit Version: 1809 Language: JA So, I am working with a Japanese language system, and settings such as the privacy settings, lock screen settings etc. keep resetting EVERY FEW HOURS! I am completely baffled by this behavior and...
  5. Windows 10 automatically resetting default apps

Windows 10 automatically resetting default apps: Hello, This STILL seems to be an ongoing problem for many, many users and I'm not understanding why you guys don't seem to care. Windows 10 forces a change of your default apps to Edge, etc every time you reboot, instead of Firefox/Chrome, Adobe PDF, etc. which the user...
  6. Default Apps Keep Resetting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default Apps Keep Resetting: Hi All This is driving me mental. I have the latest, updated, version of Windows 10 and am on a new i7 with 32GB RAM etc. I keep changing my default apps in Window 10 and they keep getting reset… here are some of the examples: .pdf from IE to Acrobat .html from IE to...
  7. "An App Default was Reset"

"An App Default was Reset": I would like to prevent Win10 from resetting my default apps for a given file extension. Either the chance to approve any changes to my default apps, such as we had in previous Windows versions, or to find the app reset "feature" and break it beyond repair disable it...
  8. Windows 10 keeps resetting default apps

Windows 10 keeps resetting default apps: At least once a week, I have to manually reset the default apps for Photos, Video, and PDF files. The keep getting reset to 'none'. It is not that they are being hijacked by a microsoft app, but rather they just lose the setting altogether. I do not use Edge at all, though...
  9. Reset taskbar apps to default - Windows 10

Reset taskbar apps to default - Windows 10: Hi, I am using an Acer Spin 1 on Windows 10 Home, and I would like to reset my taskbar apps to the default Windows layout. Is there a way to do this without resetting my computer somehow? Thank you to whoever can help me with this issue....
  10. App defaults resetting

App defaults resetting: How can I lock my defaults and prohibit Windows 10 from resetting them? Why isn't there a simple checkbox to lock defaults? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/app-defaults-resetting/77707996-8b34-444a-9c68-678d2dfebe69

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 is automatically reseting desktop problems

2. windows phone 10 keeps reseting

3. new user and an app default was reset