Windows 10: Windows 10 lacking proper support for libraries?

Discus and support Windows 10 lacking proper support for libraries? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello all, Since libraries were introduced in Windows 7 I've used them extensively. I tend to have a very organised file system and dislike how many... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by heavywater, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Windows 10 lacking proper support for libraries?

Hello all,

Since libraries were introduced in Windows 7 I've used them extensively. I tend to have a very organised file system and dislike how many applications use the default documents folders (instead of AppData) as a dumping ground for settings and projects. Having never put anything in my default documents folder I already have over twenty folders in it from various vendors, ranging from game saves, to certificate backups, to error logs, to benchmark results, to Office templates, to Visual Studio project files. In short, it's a mess.

My solution to this clutter in Windows 7 was to unlink the default documents (and music/videos etc) from the libraries and set my own folder (for example E:\Documents). This way the only stuff that went into my documents folder were documents I put there. Furthermore, in Windows 7, libraries werethe main way to access your documents folders; basically every "Documents" link in explorer linked to the library instead of the user folder.

In Windows 10... well, it's awful. Libraries are basically an afterthought and every link in explorer or the start menu appears to be hardcoded to navigate to the user folder (Edit- I've just noticed I can enable Libraries links in the navigation pane, so ignore that part of the screenshot). Likewise with the start menu, there're some folders with nice icons I can add via the personalisation menu, but these all also redirect to the user folder.

Please tell I'm being an idiot and there's something that I can do to make all these shortcuts redirect to my libraries....

Here's a couple of screenshots in case it's not clear what I'm yammering about.

Windows 10 lacking proper support for libraries? [​IMG]

I'm also aware that I can hide these shortcuts from This PC, but those registry hacks also hide the links from the user folder, which I don't really want to do (since I do occasionally want to access the folders).

:)

heavywater, Oct 14, 2015

2. Nokia 1520 shortcomings and lack of proper support

- Sure, then do one thing. Download any swiping keyboard on an Android device and then compare the speed at which you type and amend words.

I have no problem with the keyboard, Generally it will predict complete scentencese for me and I just tap the words I want instead of typing them out completely. This prediction will also get smarter as you go along.

- Then do a test. Take an email sent by someone else. Then go to the portion of text he sent you in the REPLY mail you are writing and try to select one of the SENDER's words

That has nothing to do with the issue you are claiming. It is well known that in mail Windows will quote the whole original text and not allow it to be edited. I woudl agree that is not the best way of doing it and woudl like to see it done better but it
    has nothing to do with your claim since it is not an editable area.

Let's try to be constructive. This OS must not be built based on what you as Blog Admin like or don't like. It has to be built to cater for a wide range of users.

I do not agree. Forst I am not a 'Blog Admin' but rather a user like yourself. Then in other phone OS there are no ways to show the user information about the activity on an app besides maybe popping up a counter. There is no activiti in the icons
    like there is on a Live Tile. By going with WP you choose a specific apprach and concept different from the others and IMO it's not a valid claim to then roll back those features for whatever reason. Besides, there is anotification centre built in right now
    (as far as native communication channels go)

Let me explain you a basic of marketing so you understand when it's not the case to defend a brand beyond reasonable limits even when you administer their blog. If i, as a customer, enter a BLUE SHOP carrying a big, huge, NOKIA
    brand

Again, these shops are _not_ Nokia owned or operated. If you want to complain about one of them to Nokia this is not the platform as it is a user to user bases discussion board. USe the options to contact Nokia directly found on the regional support pages
    HERE

Paul van der Heu, Oct 14, 2015
  3. Nokia 1520 shortcomings and lack of proper support

Thanks Paul,

I have already discussed this with MS too and oftentimes they blame Nokia. I am aware the OS is MS while the hardware is Nokia. However, the device is NOKIA. So my first point of contact and the one i should refer for support is NOKIA. I address MS when
    i have OS suggestions, and when i need to learn how to use some functions. I have none of these issues. I have a malfunctioning phone sold as "premium" by Nokia worldwide.

For example, i had an issue with official Gift Cards sent by Nokia Taiwan and i could not redeem it as it said the email account wasn't compatible with the region of the voucher. I addressed this to MS.

My previous post is related to a NOKIA Phablet. So, in my world, NOKIA support is the place to go.

CuriousGeek, Oct 14, 2015
  4. Kari Win User

Windows 10 lacking proper support for libraries?

It might be that I don't get your point but I have absolutely none whatsoever issues in using Windows Libraries.

One of the first thing I always do after the installation is to add Libraries to the left pane of the File Explorer:

Next I pin Libraries to Start:

You can also pin Libraries to Quick access if you want to.

Finally I add Libraries to Quick Launch (I have Taskbar vertical at left, the screenshot might not look the same as it does on your PC but the principle is the same):

Couldn't be easier.

5. Yeah, maybe I should clarify, without a wall of text this time.

I'm able to create and access libraries fine and I'm able to add the libraries shortcut to the navigation pane.

I'm not able to make the folders in the default view in This PC or the integrated folders in the start menu point to libraries. I can obviously pin a libraries folder to the start menu, just as I could create a shortcut to libraries on the desktop, but that's not really what I want.

Is there a way to stop Windows 10 using the hardcoded links to the user folder and instead use the libraries folders?

heavywater, Oct 14, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello heavywater, *Smile

As you found out, the folders in This PC are only links to your user folders.

If you like, you can use the tutorial below to add Libraries under Folders in This PC to help. It'll work in Windows 10 as well.

Libraries - Add or Remove from This PC in Windows 8.1

Brink, Oct 14, 2015
  7. That's unfortunate, maybe they'll something in the future.

And thanks for the link, I'll check it out!

heavywater, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 lacking proper support for libraries?

1. Windows 10 lacking proper support for libraries? - Similar Threads - lacking proper support

2. lack of support

in Windows 10 Gaming
    lack of support: i purchased windows 10 todayhow do i bust through the support wall i have case numbercant talk to anyone https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lack-of-support/e36938fe-1ca4-4d3b-a0bd-8345b65cf840
  3. lack of support

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    lack of support: i purchased windows 10 todayhow do i bust through the support wall i have case numbercant talk to anyone https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lack-of-support/e36938fe-1ca4-4d3b-a0bd-8345b65cf840
  4. Lack of Support for Windows 10

Lack of Support for Windows 10: Now that Windows 11 is here, most PCs that got the free upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 and have digital licenses will definitely start having issues with their PCs. Microsoft forced an incompatible audio driver High Definition audio driver in the the last update. Microsoft has...
  5. Lack of Support for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lack of Support for Windows 10: Now that Windows 11 is here, most PCs that got the free upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 and have digital licenses will definitely start having issues with their PCs. Microsoft forced an incompatible audio driver High Definition audio driver in the the last update. Microsoft has...
  6. Lack of Support for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. lack of support.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    lack of support.: i have paid to be supported by the team,when i try to get help i go round and round with any help,the virual agent is useless,the tel support has no tel number,help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lack-of-support/17fff45a-b5ae-4f2c-bbe8-0242b3a25c95
  8. lack of support for IE11 by website developers?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    lack of support for IE11 by website developers?: I want to use IE11 for its transportable desktop shortcuts. I find myself frequently having to set up on new machines, with the old disk drive still being mainly usable. OK user data areas Occasionally I have to revert to out-of-date data on old spare drives I have left...
  9. Qualcomm video drivers lacking OpenGL support

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Qualcomm video drivers lacking OpenGL support: So the video drivers that Qualcomm provides for the all the snapdragon-based windows devices so far all are missing OpenGL support. It's my understanding that windows natively only support OpenGL 1.1, and past that it's up to the GPU maker to include support in their drivers....
  10. Windows 10 - poor customer support and lack of media player

Windows 10 - poor customer support and lack of media player: I tried Windows 10 but first, I could not download my CD music to my MP3 player. Next I tried it with my Photoshop Elements and Photoshop CS5. It warned me not all components are supported. As a photographer, I rely on Photoshop. Windows really messed up with this so...