Windows 10: Windows 10 LAN Setup

Discus and support Windows 10 LAN Setup in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a small business with a data server and 7 workstations. Till now I have avoided the upgrade as xp has worked so problem free but a recent... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by 10 Newbie, May 6, 2016.

1. 10 Newbie Win User

Windows 10 LAN Setup

I have a small business with a data server and 7 workstations. Till now I have avoided the upgrade as xp has worked so problem free but a recent decision to upgrade server meant I could not avoid it any longer.

We have purchased the new workstations and now looking at the network side of things but have hit a bit of a snag.

Looking online I see most of the windows 10 networking steps relate to windows 7 and the general suggestion from what I can see is to use homegroup. In xp we were using workgroup and things were very easily set up and maintained but it seems the win 10 is not so easy to set up or maybe I am just not up to speed.

Any suggestions on a small business win 10 network setup and links to walkthrough's would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

:)

10 Newbie, May 6, 2016

2. Windows 10 Mail and Calendar App Not working

It was a setting to choose from.

BeefRWijker, May 6, 2016
  3. Wifi capability turned off after updating to Windows 10.

ITS FIXED

in the bios setup look for devices set as disabled in the setup. I found my internal lan was set to disabled at start up. must have been changed by the windows 10 upgrade. initially it seemed unchanged but then i went to settings and was able to flip the
    option flag to on. Got my key back and my wireless.

MandrakeImaging, May 6, 2016
  4. Windows 10 LAN Setup

I have 3 Win 7 computers and 1 Win 10 and Win 10 is setup the same as Win 7 on my "Workgroup" LAN. Personally I don't use "Homegroup", I find there are less problems with "Workgroup" once setup.
    Make sure "File and Printing sharing" is turned on in Windows firewall and check/change settings in "Networking and Sharing center" to allow sharing.

CADesertRat, May 6, 2016
  5. 10 Newbie Win User
    Yes you were right. The workgroup is definitely the better way to go.

Unfortunately Microsoft seem to be making matters harder and harder and I think os have gone downhill since xp.

10 Newbie, May 11, 2016
  6. Going from XP to W10 is quite a jump but workgroup setup is similar all the way through. The difference is where to look for all the settings since W10 interface and even terminology is a bit different in some cases.

CADesertRat, May 11, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    It all depends on how you want to do this. You really need a decent NAS for handling file storage for the machines, along with a way to not blow the bank on more hardware to run the file serving between all. Any office or even home with that many can benefit from one of the Linux Based Domain Controllers that allows you to also handle email, etc..

The other plus about the domain is that you can keep better eyes on what your employees are doing and have a better way of protecting your investment. Zentyal is still one of the better ones out there, with Clark Connect/ClearOS.

If you decide to go with one of the alternative Linux based solutions. Make sure that it is going to be compatible with the software that you are using. Especially if it is something that uses a SQL database.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 LAN Setup

1. Windows 10 LAN Setup - Similar Threads - LAN Setup

2. LAN setup issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    LAN setup issue: I have ahomenetwork with 3 computers that don"t talkto each other.I can see all three on several utilities, have gone through all the proper setups.2 desk tops 1 laptop windows 10,7,&11 all connected Ethernet.I can ping both ways on all systems, but the don't connect.All...
  3. LAN setup issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    LAN setup issue: I have ahomenetwork with 3 computers that don"t talkto each other.I can see all three on several utilities, have gone through all the proper setups.2 desk tops 1 laptop windows 10,7,&11 all connected Ethernet.I can ping both ways on all systems, but the don't connect.All...
  4. LAN setup issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 LAN Server Setup for Minecraft Bedrock

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 LAN Server Setup for Minecraft Bedrock: I have a friend that has a Windows 10 laptop, and my friends and I want to play Minecraft on our phones using the laptop as a host via a LAN network. This works on Mac for me. All I have to do is ‘create a network’ and it makes a LAN network for me that everyone can connect...
  6. Wake on LAN Activation on BIOS Aptio Setup Utility 2020 Version 2.19.1269

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Wake on LAN Activation on BIOS Aptio Setup Utility 2020 Version 2.19.1269: I have a T-Bao TBOOK MN22 mini PC with Windows 10 Home and BIOS Aptio Setup Utility 2020 Version 2.19.1269. I need to start my PC remotely via Wake on LAN, however I can't find the corresponding item in the BIOS menu. Does anyone know if this option is present in this BIOS...
  7. Printer setup on LAN

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Printer setup on LAN: Setting up Canon MX492 on my LAN. Follow the menu and printer says 'connected'. Then display goes back to wireless LAN setup and I cannot find a way to get out of setup mode. Only buttons that work are OK and arrows. Stop does not do it. How does one return to 'Copy OK 01'?...
  8. REALTEK USB Wireless LAN Adapter setup failed.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    REALTEK USB Wireless LAN Adapter setup failed.: I have been trying to setup a wireless USB adapter from 2 days but i'm failed. It's a "USB 2.0 Wireless 802.11N" Lan Adapter. When i connect it to computer it's driver showing up to the device manager for a few seconds and then vanish. Sometime the driver stay up a long time...
  9. ODD LAN Setup: One Xfinity wireless gateway and three routers

ODD LAN Setup: One Xfinity wireless gateway and three routers: Hi, I have a friend with an unusual LAN setup in his home. He has a basic setup with a Xfinity wireless gateway for four laptops running Windows 10. What is weird is that he has three routers hooked up in his large home. One router in a different room is directly...
  10. LAN Not Configured - Need Intel I219-LM Setup to Access Ethernet

LAN Not Configured - Need Intel I219-LM Setup to Access Ethernet: Our IT department failed to set up my new laptop for a physical LAN connection. I have administrative rights because, all laptops at our institution are provided with these privileges. Can anyone help me set up this adapter? I need to accomplish this today if possible. 106551