Windows 10: Windows 10 laptop cannot access network computers

Discus and support Windows 10 laptop cannot access network computers in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Windows 10 laptop cannot access network computers Network setup: W10 laptop(Home, v1607 but problem was even before v1511) connected via either... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by lineslim, Sep 23, 2016.

1. lineslim Win User

Windows 10 laptop cannot access network computers

Network setup: W10 laptop(Home, v1607 but problem was even before v1511) connected via either Ethernet or wireless to a TP-link MR3420 router( firewall disabled). W10 tablet (Pro, v1511), wireless. W7 desktop Ethernet connected. Internet is provided via a separate LTE router connected to the TP-link. Buffalo NAS LS220 connected via cable to TP-link.

Problem: cannot access other computers or NAS on my home network from my w10 laptop (L: \\COMPUTERNAME or L: \\IP-address makes no difference). Also, The laptop itself cant be accessed from other computers. Other computers can see the laptop but generate 0x70080035 (windows cannot access...) when I click on the laptop. The same happens when trying to access other computes from the laptop. The laptop can see the tablet but not the W7 desktop. If I enable/disable SMB1 in the NAS, or create a new folder in the NAS, I can sometimes get the NAS visible from the laptop until next reboot, however I can never browse the shared folders. This was possible from the laptop a few weeks ago before the problems started. There has never been any problem to access the webGUI:s for the router or NAS from the laptop. The tablet, W7desktop & NAS has no problem accessing each others folders.

I have spent many days on this and lost track of all suggested fixes & registry hacks that I have tried without success, but below is a list of some things tested:

Enable network discovery/filesharing disable password protection...etc advanced sharing page, tested all settings.
    Reinstalled all network cards
    Enable Netbios over TCP-IP
    Adding a new local user account
    Setting Full Control for everyone for a shared folder
    Changed L: \\COMPUTERNAMES to CAPS
    Client for microsoft....is installed in TCP-IPV4
    Disabled windows firewall
    Blocked incoming port TCP139
    Turning NAS/desktop/laptop on/off in different order (NAS become master browser if turned on first, if not W7desktop. The laptop does not seem to be able to take the role of master browser).
    Removed homegroups from all computers (laptop cannot join homegroup and other computers cant join homegropup on laptop)

I'm just about to give up and make a clean install of w10 on the laptop, not looking forward to that with 300GB to back up without access to my NAS...

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions!

Edit1: After performing a "network reset" from windows settings network&internet/status, the laptop can see all the other computers but still cannot browse them (can't access....).......And after a reboot, only the W10 tablet is visible again.

:)

lineslim, Sep 23, 2016

2. Network Vista and Windows 10 - peer to peer

I just set up a new laptop with Windows 10.

I am trying to incorporate it into a network with a Wirdows Vista desktop computer. (I know, time to upgrade.)

My previous Windows 10 laptop worked fine.

Now, I can see and access everything on the Vista computer from the laptop but cannot see or access the laptop from the Vista computer.

Sharing is turned on in the Windows 10 laptop.

I run a program to sync files on the desktop computer and it can't see the laptop.

Charles Kenyon, Sep 23, 2016
  3. PC is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions

I am having issue with connecting to one of my computers in my home network. I have a desktop ( Windows 10 ) and 2 Laptops .One is Windows 10 and one is Windows 7.

I can access both my desktop and the Windows 7 laptop from my Windows 10 Laptop.

I can access my desktop and Windows 10 Laptop from my Windows 7 laptop

I can access the Windows 7 laptop from my desktop ... but cannot access my Windows 10 laptop from my desktop.

The msg I get is..

"\\BRIAN-PC is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.

Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer."

I have done all that I can think of as far as permission goes but to no avail . Help would be appreciated

OT:

LAN Problem

Brian Hunter37, Sep 23, 2016
  4. 56Kruiser Win User

I wish I had an answer for you. I have the same problem, as of upgrade to the latest BIG update. I do not see any of the computers on the network.

I have not tried to connect to my laptop with other computers, but I can connect to it on my phone.

56Kruiser, Sep 24, 2016
  5. linw Win User
    This sounds a bit like earlier issues with discovery. BTW, the error you quoted is wrong. It is 80070035. Do a search here and you will find lots of hits!

Out of curiosity, what do you get with the command prompt command net view?
    And has this Laptop been upgraded to win 10 rather than clean installed?

I see you have looked at SMB versions and I think this may be the problem. When your comp uses Lanman client to interrogate a Lanman server for its shares, it uses the SMB protocol. If your client and the server use different versions they can't talk to each other so your client times out and gives the 80070035 error, path not available.

I had this problem earlier and wrote this:-
    "I have done a lot of checking of services etc between my comps to no avail. But today I was drawn to the registry settings of the Lanman Server. I compared the problem comp with a good one and after a while I found a discrepancy. The Registry entry, LanmanServer\Parameters had two extra keys that the good comps didn't have. These were 'Size' and 'SMB2'. I deleted both and was amazed to find that fixed the problem (gotta remember I have had a ton of disappointments!). The shares just popped up as they were supposed to!".

Those two keys were carryovers from earlier windows versions.

Path is HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters. Check Lanman Client as well.

Can't say I can give you the fix but maybe this info will be helpful.

6. lineslim Win User
    Hi, and thanks for taking the time to reply!
    -Yes, it is an upgrade from w8.
    -Typing net view in cmd (admin or not) returns error 50, not supported
    -Yes, correct error code is 0x80070035 "Network path cant be found" (translated from Swedish)''
    -I found the DWORD "Size" in LanmanServer but deleting that (and restarting) did not solve the problem. There were also other items in LanmanServer & LanmanWorkstation parameters folder that differed between the laptop(W10home,upgrade) and the tablet(W10Pro, clean install), but I did not dare to delete these without knowing what they do. Below is a list of items that differed between the laptop&tablet:

LanmanServer/Parameters:
    In laptop (has problem) registry:
    LmAnnounce,dword,1
    Size,dword,1
    SrvComment,SZ,*
    *=COMPUTERNAME (name of my laptop)

In tablet(no problem) registry:
    autodisconnect,dword,1

LanmanWorkstation/Parameters:
    In laptop:
    AllowInsecureGuestAuth,qword,1**
    OtherDomains,Multi_SZ
    **I added this both as Q/D word after a forum tip, made no difference

lineslim, Sep 25, 2016
  7. linw Win User
    Googling that error 50 seems to point to network provider errors. My comp shows the ProviderOrder as RDPNP, LanmanWorkstation,webclient
    Quote:-
    Fixed.

I'm not sure how this occurred, but I thought I'd complete the thread in case anyone else finds themselves with a similar problem.

The issue was to do with the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider

I compared the broken machine against a working one and found that the broken machine had:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider\HwOrder]
    "ProviderOrder"="LanmanWorks,RDPNP"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider\Order]
    "ProviderOrder"="LanmanWorks,RDPNP"

The Microsoft Windows Network is historically known as Lan Manager (or Lanman in shorthand), but I'd never seen it contracted to LanmanWorks. True enough, on a working machine these two key looked like:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider\HwOrder]
    "ProviderOrder"="LanmanWorkstation,RDPNP"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider\Order]
    "ProviderOrder"="LanmanWorkstation,RDPNP"

After a quick modification of the those values and a reboot, all is well.

Still perturbed as to how it happened. I'm sure curious techies break machine inadvertently all the time, but I can't imagine what level of playing around caused this particular modification.
    end quote
    ------------------------------------------------

May have to seriously consider a clean install. Can you get a USB drive for backing up the laptop?

8. lineslim Win User

Thanks, I have the same ProviderOrder as you, so I guess it is correct. You are probably right in suggesting a clean install. I have a 64gb USB stick I can use to backup to my desktop or NAS. Restoring it will hopefully be faster via a working network. So annoying to have been spending so much time on this and still having to do a clean install of everything....
    Thanks for your support!

lineslim, Sep 26, 2016
  9. linw Win User
    No problems, mate.

A clean install is the way to go, now.

Let's know how you go.

10. lineslim Win User
    Just to let you know, I made a clean install which solved the problem as expected. Thanks for your support!

lineslim, Oct 2, 2016
  11. linw Win User
    Well done. There definitely comes a time for a clean install.

Cbeers.

12. RenatoHS Win User
Thema:

1. Windows 10 laptop cannot access network computers - Similar Threads - laptop cannot access

2. Computers on network cannot be accessed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Computers on network cannot be accessed: We have 2 new laptops call them 1 and 2 and 2 old laptops call them 3 and 4. From laptops 1 and 2, we can access shared files on 3 or 4 and vice versa but laptop 1 and 2 cannot connect with each other. Obviously, all sharing permissions are set since the new and old can share...
  3. Two laptops on home network, Windows cannot access

Two laptops on home network, Windows cannot access: Computer #1 - Dell Computer #2 HP DELL cannot access the C; drive on HP windows cannot access \\hp\\c you do not have permission to access, HP can access the c: drive on Dell Both running windows 10 pro. How do I get Dell to access HP Tried all items posted,...
  4. Windows cannot Access \\"Home Network Computer Name"

Windows cannot Access \\"Home Network Computer Name": Help. I keep getting this message along with; Windows 10 - errror 0x80070035 when I try to access the two laptops on my home network. There are three machines. The two laptops and a desktop. The two laptops can access the desktop, but not vici verca! I have ahared all Drives...
  5. Cannot get access to the computers on Home network

Cannot get access to the computers on Home network: I haven’t been able to get access to other computers on my home wifi network since the last Windows 10 update. I receive an error message: you do not have permission to access (a particular computer). Contact administrator to request access. Any help is appreciated Windows...
  6. Home Networking – Windows cannot access \\Laptop

Home Networking – Windows cannot access \\Laptop: Hi, For several reasons I had to reinstall Windows 10 on my Laptop and I can no longer access my Laptop from any other PCs on my home network. This feature was working well before I reinstalled Windows. When I open File Explorer and click from another PC on any of the PCs...
  7. CANNOT ACCESS OTHER COMPUTERS ON NETWORK SHOWN

CANNOT ACCESS OTHER COMPUTERS ON NETWORK SHOWN: - ACCESS DENIED CONTACT ADMINISTRATOR THIS IS A HOME NETWORK AND THERE IS NO ADMINISTRATOR TO MY KNOWLEDGE EARLIER USERNAME NAME WAS ASKED AND PASSWORD I DONT KNOW EITHER, NEVER SET UP PASSWORDS OTHER THAN THAN GMAIL AND SYNCG WITH ROUTER...
  8. Cannot Access Computer on Network

Cannot Access Computer on Network: Hi We have a small peer to peer wired network in our office with 4 computers. My Computer (computer A) hosts QuickBooks in a shared folder and the other computers access it through the network. Last week we set up a new hub and I just unplugged the cable from the...
  9. Cannot Access Other Computers on Windows 10 Home Network

Cannot Access Other Computers on Windows 10 Home Network: Hi, I have a desktop and a laptop setup at home, I have recently upgraded both to Windows 10. Both were previously running Windows 7 Home Premium and could identify each other on the network and I could access files on either PC from one or the other at any time. With the...
  10. One computer cannot access other network computers.

One computer cannot access other network computers.: I have three windows 10 PCs and one NAS on my network. One PC (Lenovo 220X) and the NAS are hardwired. The other two are wireless (Surface Pro 1 and Surface pro 4) The surface pro 4 can see but not access either of the two other PCs. The other PCs can see and access each...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. laptop cannot access network computer