Windows 10: Windows 10 Laptop Desktop Icons Keep Rearranging to the left side

Discus and support Windows 10 Laptop Desktop Icons Keep Rearranging to the left side in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Please help I have a windows 10 laptop and for some reason my desktop icons keeps rearranging to the left side of the screen after I rearranged them on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dacoolmike, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Windows 10 Laptop Desktop Icons Keep Rearranging to the left side

Please help I have a windows 10 laptop and for some reason my desktop icons keeps rearranging to the left side of the screen after I rearranged them on my own and restart or shut down my laptop then open it all the desktop icons are back to the left side of the screen. I have tried many ways like making sure that auto arrange or align icons to grid are unchecked, making sure that the settings under themes (Allow themes to change desktop icons) is unchecked, Scan for any virus but according to my antivirus no virus are found, I don't use ESET Antivirus so for those people having this kind of problems when having ESET Antivirus installed does not affect me because I have Avast and even tried sfc/scannow on command prompt but my laptop didn't find any integrity violations or errors. Please help. *Sad

:)

dacoolmike, Sep 16, 2017

2. Desktop icons continually rearrange themselves on left side of screen. How can I prevent this?? Note "auto arrange" is unchecked. I am running Windows 10

Desktop icons continually rearrange themselves on left side of screen. How can I prevent this?? Note "auto arrange" is unchecked. I am running Windows 10

JohnVetter1, Sep 16, 2017
  3. Dr. Musou Win User
    Desktop icons keep moving at startup

I have been experiencing the same issue at times, especially recentlly.

I have searched for the solution, and no luck. It seems that it is the glitch Microsoft has not yet resolved.

Here is a Temporal Alternative Solution:

Since the system rearranges desktop icons automatically in the left side of the screen each
    time the system is refreshed or rebooted or start/Restart, I decided to arrange all desktop icons in the left side in the way I wish. In this way, the system does not rearrange the icons. It is important not to leave any space.

If you would like to arrange icons with some spaces between them, create empty file folders and use them instead of spaces.

I still keep Recycle Bin in the middle. It is not much work, since it is the only one I have to move back after Unwanted Automatic Rearrangement.

I use "Medium icons" and "Align icons to grid."

Dr. Musou, Sep 16, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

Windows 10 Laptop Desktop Icons Keep Rearranging to the left side

Right click your mouse on the desktop and look at the Right Click menu to see if they are set to auto-arrange. Your AV has zero reasons on this, because it would be a desktop setting for the GUI.

bro67, Sep 16, 2017
  5. Like I said auto arrange and align to grid are both ticked off its written there on my post. *Confused

dacoolmike, Sep 16, 2017
  6. sml156 Win User
    Strange I just tried it, I put one of my icons in the middle of my display and rebooted and it was still there.

Windows 10 Laptop Desktop Icons Keep Rearranging to the left side [​IMG]

sml156, Sep 16, 2017
  7. bro67 Win User
    Then something like using different desktop resolution settings and/or connecting to different monitors will change the position of your icons.

bro67, Sep 17, 2017
  8. Windows 10 Laptop Desktop Icons Keep Rearranging to the left side

I dont change my resolution and I'm using laptop not pc. So those monitor thing doesnt apply to me

dacoolmike, Sep 17, 2017
  9. bro67 Win User
    Never stated that you did. Just stated the possibilities of why they are changing. There is no malware out there that randomly changes desktop icon positions.

bro67, Sep 17, 2017
  10. So what do I do now? *Sad

dacoolmike, Sep 17, 2017
  11. bro67 Win User
    That is up to you. If all that is happening is your icons moving around on your Desktop, I would suggest moving on.

bro67, Sep 17, 2017
  12. werby Win User
    Why don't you try to completely remove any AV program (not Defender) and if no result, just live with it?
    Also, you may try to create a new user account and see if issue still remains.

werby, Sep 18, 2017
  13. dcol Win User

14. dalchina New Member
    It's a problem that has affected SOME users of Windows from at least Windows Vista onwards.

As @dcol says, there are several free utilities that can help for those that are affected.

There are a couple of VERY long threads on this topic on this forum. E.g.
    Desktop icons keep rearranging - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, Mar 13, 2018
  15. This is what's worked for me and I just double-checked again.
    Uncheck auto arrange
    Leave align icons to grid checked
    Leave the settings under themes (Allow themes to change desktop icons) checked.
    --- In the Desktop icon settings box, Recycle bin is the only Desktop icon checked.

After I change my icon arrangements, I shut down and start the computer back up or restart my computer.
    --- I just did that twice in a row and did not have any problems with the rearranged icons.

EDIT: I know you are on the right track trying to accomplish what you want to do. But please consider what I mentioned works for me. It only takes about a minute to find out if it would work for you.
    --- I have 4 Windows 10 computers.
    --- I also use that same procedure for the people I help at our Senior Center as well as my family & friends.

BTW, is this a new problem?

MeAndMyComputer, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Laptop Desktop Icons Keep Rearranging to the left side - Similar Threads - Laptop Desktop Icons

2. This PC icon pinned to the left side of the desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    This PC icon pinned to the left side of the desktop: This PC icon is pinned on the left side primarily the upper corner but if the place is taken by other apps it will simply go downwards of my desktop. I am able to move it and replace it but the second I refresh or restart my laptop it goes back. It is the only icon that does...
  3. Desktop Icons rearranging

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons rearranging: I have a user who is using dual monitors and their desktop icons always revert back to the main monitor on restart. I logged in and moved icons around and restarted and everything was where i moved it. So this appears to be user specific. I am assuming their is something that...
  4. Can't drag and rearrange icon on the left side of taskbar in windows 10.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't drag and rearrange icon on the left side of taskbar in windows 10.: After update I Can't drag and rearrange icon on the left side of taskbar . I have tried several method but still the icon is freeze [ATTACH]...
  5. Windows 10 keeps rearranging my desktop icons & folders!?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 keeps rearranging my desktop icons & folders!?: They went nuts the other day, all over the place & I thought maybe I'd clicked something by accident. I rearranged them manually to a layout that makes sense for me. Yesterday I turned my PC on & they're a jumbled mess again, all over the fucking place with random gaps...
  6. rearrange icons on desktop

rearrange icons on desktop: On my Win 10 desktop I can move icons to any part of the grid with a left click-hold and drag. The setting is "Align icons to grid". My wife's Win 10 will not let the icon move at all. What needs to change...
  7. Desktop icons keep rearranging

Desktop icons keep rearranging: After rebooting the system, the desktop icons usually arrange in a different way than they used to be. I deleted the “IconCache” and checked “auto arrange icons”. I want them to be at fixed places....
  8. Desktop icons keep rearranging

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop icons keep rearranging: when i rearrange position of the icon it will amass icon in 1 point, i have checked align icon to grid but it just like that again,don't know how to fix it[ATTACH] ***Changed title from Error icons***...
  9. Windows 10 Keeps Rearranging my desktop Icons

Windows 10 Keeps Rearranging my desktop Icons: Why does Windows 10 (64 bit Home, Pre Installed), Very Recently, keep Rearranging my Desktop Icons ?, Even Though, I have Now been informed to turn my desktop “Auto Arrange” Off, And When I do, On reboot, it turns it Back On! Is this Down to a recent Windows Update? As I Have...
  10. Desktop icons keep rearranging

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icons keep rearranging: Hello, My desktop icons keep rearranging and windows explorer won't save the position I put them in. I can rearrange them but when I click 'Refresh' or if I restart explorer or if I reboot they rearrange to another setup. This happens in both normal mode and safe mode....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 laptaop desktop icons to the left