Windows 10: Windows 10 Laptop taking long time to shut down or restart

Discus and support Windows 10 Laptop taking long time to shut down or restart in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi. I have an ASUS laptop with Windows 10. I make sure to keep with Windows updates. I run Trend Micro virus protection. I do disk cleanup regularly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by crtrptr, Aug 5, 2018.

1. crtrptr Win User

Windows 10 Laptop taking long time to shut down or restart

Hi. I have an ASUS laptop with Windows 10. I make sure to keep with Windows updates. I run Trend Micro virus protection. I do disk cleanup regularly and have disk defrag set to go regularly. Laptop is less than one year old and has recently begun taking a very long time to shut down. In some instances, 10 minutes has gone by from the time I clicked shut down and it was still "shutting down." I've had to press down the power button, but I know that's not really the right way. Does anyone know what's going on? I've gone to Task Manager and nothing seems to be taking an extraordinary amount of space or memory. I've done scan disk. Any help would be appreciated.

:)

crtrptr, Aug 5, 2018

2. Laptop takes too long time to reboot to desktop on Windows 10

Hi David,

As per the description I understand that you are facing issues with booting the laptop to desktop as it is taking long time. Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

• Do let us know the make and model of your laptop?
    • What is the current version Windows 10 installed on your laptop?

This issue might have occurred due to incorrect settings to startup the device. Let us try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to check if
    Fast Startup
    option on your device is enabled.

Fast startup is a new feature in Windows to help your PC start up faster after shutting down. When turned on, Windows does this by using a hybrid shutdown (a partial hibernate) method that saves only the kernel session and device drivers (system
    information) to hibernate (hiberfil.sys) file on disk instead of closing it when you shut down your PC.

Steps:

• Press Windows +
      X
      key and click Control Panel.
    • Click on Power options.
    • Click on Choose what the power buttons do.
    • Click on Change settings that are currently unavailable. If it prompts to click on yes, then click
      Yes.
    • Make sure Turn on fast startup (Recommended)
      option is Enabled/ check marked under shutdown settings.
    • If not, check mark it and click Save changes
      to configure the settings.

Step 2: Run the Power Troubleshooter

Power troubleshooter find and fix problems with your computer's power settings to conserve power and extent battery life

• Type Troubleshooting in the
      Search bar on the desktop and press Enter.

• In the Troubleshooting window, click on
      View All on the left pane.

• Click on Power.

• Click on Advanced and then click on
      Run as Administrator.

• Click Next and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Hope it helps you to boot the system faster. Let us know for further assistance, we will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Aug 5, 2018
  3. Windows 10 is taking so long to shut down and restart! on a DELL Inspiron 5559 Laptop.

Hi,

I have noticed numerous time Windows 10 Take awhile to either Shut down Or Restart on a DELL lnspiron 5559 Laptop. What is this cause by.

Regards

Chris

ChristopherHudson_9988, Aug 5, 2018
  4. KDMcM Win User

Windows 10 takes long time to shut down

I don't see how this helps with the OP's problem: "but takes an unusually long time to shut down". Since I updated to windows 10 my PC, which used to shutdown really quickly on Windows 7, now
    takes up to a minute.

KDMcM, Aug 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Laptop taking long time to shut down or restart - Similar Threads - Laptop taking long

2. My laptop takes so long to shut down?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop takes so long to shut down?: My laptop takes so much time to shut down, the shut down logo stays on the screen for about a minute and there is this one application that appears up about apps running in the background which stays there for less then a second and dissapears. I have the latest version of...
  3. My laptop takes so long to shut down?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop takes so long to shut down?: My laptop takes so much time to shut down, the shut down logo stays on the screen for about a minute and there is this one application that appears up about apps running in the background which stays there for less then a second and dissapears. I have the latest version of...
  4. Windows 11 takes a long time to shut down and reboot/restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 takes a long time to shut down and reboot/restart: Hi, So my pc has been behaving very weird lately. I was on my pc yesterday and went ahead to open NVIDIA Control Panel. It didn't open even after numerous tries. So I decided to restart my pc if it fixes the issue. Well, it took forever in the restart process, so I force shut...
  5. Windows 11 takes a long time to shut down and reboot/restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 takes a long time to shut down and reboot/restart: Hi, So my pc has been behaving very weird lately. I was on my pc yesterday and went ahead to open NVIDIA Control Panel. It didn't open even after numerous tries. So I decided to restart my pc if it fixes the issue. Well, it took forever in the restart process, so I force shut...
  6. PC takes too long to shut down

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC takes too long to shut down: Just pressed the shutdown button and took 5 entire minutes to my PC to shut down. When i turn it on, it takes 17s to boot up. Is there any solution to improve shutdown time? submitted by /u/minilio [link] [comments]...
  7. windows 10s take long to shut down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    windows 10s take long to shut down: my computer is dual booted to windows 7and win 10 i innstall windows 10 on my divice but the windows 10 takes a long times to stop the exhaust fan but windows 7 has no problem it can shut down very fastly...
  8. windows 10 take long time to shut down, restart and sleep

windows 10 take long time to shut down, restart and sleep: my laptop is hp EliteBook 8460p I just got a new ssd and installed windows 10 pro version 2004 when I shut down or restart or sleep the laptop the screen is turn off normally but still power on about 5 minutes or more after that...
  9. Windows 10 takes forever to restart or shut down

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 takes forever to restart or shut down: Hello all, We have just purchased a brand new Mpg z490 gaming carbon wifi motherboard and installed Windows 10. We have 2 ssd hard drives and 3 normal hard drives attached. Drivers and bios is upto date. When we select restart or shut down the pc takes forever to restart...
  10. SHUT DOWN TAKING TIME

SHUT DOWN TAKING TIME: HELLO THERE I HAVE DELL XPS 15 9570. IT USED TO SHUT DOWN INSTANTLY I MEAN THE SCREEN USED TO TURN OFF INSTANTLY BUT NOW IT IS TAKING 10-15 SECONDS TO TURNOFF. WHEN I ENABLE VERBOSESTATUS TO KNOW WHAT IS HAMPERING THE PC I GOT THESE MESSAGES: PLEASE WAIT FOR PROSVC...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. restart takes long time

2. when i restart laptop it shuts down windows 10

3. windows 10 taking a long time to shut down

4. my asus laptop takes a long time to restart windows 10