Windows 10: Windows 10: Laptop won't shutdown, restart or even sleep

Discus and support Windows 10: Laptop won't shutdown, restart or even sleep in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi Guys, Recently my laptop start to get real slow and i decided to by a Samsung EVO 850 250GB. I created an installation on a USB pen drive with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mpssantos, Jun 20, 2017.

1. mpssantos Win User

Windows 10: Laptop won't shutdown, restart or even sleep

Hi Guys,

Recently my laptop start to get real slow and i decided to by a Samsung EVO 850 250GB. I created an installation on a USB pen drive with the help of "Media Creation Tool" that can be found here

Download Windows 10

and formatted the SSD disk and installed Windows 10 from the scratch.

During the installation windows tried to reboot but it got stuck but i did not gave much importance, so i pressed the power button for a while and as expected it shutdown, i started the laptop again and the installation continued with no issue. But the problem never went a way.

Symptoms

I can't shutdown or restart (or even sleep) the computer properly: the power and wifi (if on) light indicator keeps on and i can hear the fans. The only way to shut down is to press the power button for some seconds.

Along with Windows 10, i have Ubuntu 16 installed but it works perfectly.

Before i had Windows 8 and i never had this problem before. I'm only experiencing now

What i tried
    I tried almost anything that can be found on the forums:

Command line shutdown: shutdown /s /t 5
    This does not work. shuts down the symptoms remain. No total shut down

Fast Startup
    Fast Startup option is not checked. It tried as well to uncheck hibernate, but the problem remains

When I press power button
    This option is set to "shutdown" for "On battery" and "plugged in"

Troubleshot
    I downloaded the updates. There were a few and after the update i was able to shutdown properly once or twice but then the problem came back

I installed the Windows 10 again, follow the same steps but i was never ever able to fix this issue.

Can some one please help me finding out what other solutions i might have not explored?

Thank you very much in advance.

Best Regards

:)

mpssantos, Jun 20, 2017

2. Manually restarted my laptop to install update. The laptop is stuck on the restart blue screen

Manually restarted my laptop to install the latest windows update by Windows 10. But now the laptop is stuck on restart screen. It's been restarting for hours now. Can't even force shutdown the laptop because it goes to sleep when I try force shutdown it
    using the power button and when I switch it back on using the power button, the restarting screen appears again. ALT + CTRL + DEL doesn't work either.

Please Help.

edwinjoseXL, Jun 20, 2017
  3. Wake up in Windows 10

My laptop goes to sleep in Windows 10 and will not wake up, it requires a forced shutdown and a restart! Can't find a setting for wakeup only sleep etc!

Arthur Parsons, Jun 20, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, did you install Win 10 without your original hard drive present? Does your HDD in your laptop still have Windows on it?

Please try clean installing Win 10 to your SSD without your HDD in your laptop.
    Clean Install Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Failing that, please post a screenshot of Disk Management, making sure all text is legible.
    (Windows key + X, click Disk Management)
    to post a screenshot please use the Insert Image icon above your post to the left of the video icon.

dalchina, Jun 20, 2017
  5. mpssantos Win User
    Hi dalchina,

Thank you very much for your suggestion and input.

It could be a good lead, but actually i already did that. The first time I installed Windows 10, it would only work if the pen drive i used to install it was connected, if not it would not boot. I discovered that because the other HDD already had and EFI partition it would not create a new one for the SSD. So i had to disconnect the HDD disk to install Windows 10 and only after i connected it back.

But as i said windows was not even installed and it was already having that behavior.

Once again thank you.

mpssantos, Jun 21, 2017
  6. mpssantos Win User
    I believe i already fixed the issue. I was able to reboot and shutdown the computer 4 times on a row. Lets see if it remains fixed *Smile

Solution
    It looks like the "Intel MEI (Management Engine Interface) Driver" is not compatible with Windows 10.
    The version it was installed was: 11.0.0.1157. I tried a more recent one (11.0.5.1189) but the problem remain.

Then a rolled back to 10.0.30.1054 and it worked. FANTASTIC

All credits need to go to intrepid1 and to his post:
    Unable to shutdown fully? The fan keeps running Solved - Page 4 - Windows 10 Forums

Now my super fast laptop is working fine thanks to you *Smile

And Thank you to dalchina for your previous input

Thank you very much.

mpssantos, Jun 21, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Great- good research. Driver version compatibility can be a nightmare for some, unfortunately, and almost impossible for someone without access to even guess at. Also worrying from an MS point of view as that is still relevant from 2016.

Now you may need to protect that driver from being updated by MS.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10: Laptop won't shutdown, restart or even sleep - Similar Threads - Laptop won't shutdown

2. My laptop restarts even when I choose shutdown.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop restarts even when I choose shutdown.: My laptop restarts when I choose shutdown. I have followed the advice of at least 5 videos on Youtube on how to fix it but it still hasn't been resolved....
  3. My laptop restarts even when I choose shutdown.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop restarts even when I choose shutdown.: My laptop restarts when I choose shutdown. I have followed the advice of at least 5 videos on Youtube on how to fix it but it still hasn't been resolved....
  4. Laptop automatically restart whenever shutdown/sleep.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop automatically restart whenever shutdown/sleep.: Pls help. My 6 month laptop restart automatically when ever I put it in shut down/sleep. This happen only working in battery only. If I plugged in and try to shut it down or sleep it will work like normal without any restarting issue. Till this day I didn't installed or...
  5. Computer won't restart/shutdown

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer won't restart/shutdown: Let me start off by saying that I have 25+ years in windows (workstation and server) but I need a second set of eyes on this. Issue: Computer will not restart or shutdown. Behavior: On shutdown or restart, it goes through the normal process, monitors turn off, but the...
  6. Laptop won't shutdown or restart properly

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop won't shutdown or restart properly: My laptop won't shutdown or restart properly, I am using a docking station and when I undock the laptop it seems to restart/shutdown properly but when I restart/shutdown with it docked, it doesn't restart/shutdown properly and always goes into a mode like sleep mode. How do...
  7. Asus ROG GL553VD won't restart/sleep/shutdown normally

Asus ROG GL553VD won't restart/sleep/shutdown normally: I have an asus rog gl553vd. Installed a new windows 10 from the media creation tool. When I select restart/sleep from the shutdown menu. The screen turns black but fans and keyboard light are on for a few minutes then the computer's turns off. I booted boto safe mode and no...
  8. System won't sleep (correctly) or shutdown--only restart

in Windows 10 Support
    System won't sleep (correctly) or shutdown--only restart: I have, for me, an unusual problem for which I've tried all the usual (and some unusual) fixes. None work. When my computer first boots or restarts, all of the normal methods (idle time, closing lid, or selecting among the power options) produce the right results: sleep,...
  9. My Laptop wont shutdown , sleep and restart!!

My Laptop wont shutdown , sleep and restart!!: i have an asus x550lc which i recently upgraded to windows 10 x64. My pc is having a serious problem. it wont shutdown or sleep or restart properly. Sometimes it works all fine but most of the time after i shutdown or sleep the pc... the pc will turn off the screen and the...
  10. Computer won't shutdown or sleep.

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer won't shutdown or sleep.: I have installed W10 twice using the update feature. Everything work fine except when I want to shutdown or put the machine to sleep by clicking on those options, the machine makes noise like the HD is working. It then just shuts down and reboots again. The only way I can...