Windows 10: Windows 10 last user remains logged in after reboot

Discus and support Windows 10 last user remains logged in after reboot in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi all, After installing the Fall Creators Update I noticed that the last user remains logged in after a computer reboot. I noticed this as the task... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by RonStu, Oct 19, 2017.

1. RonStu Win User

Windows 10 last user remains logged in after reboot

Hi all,

After installing the Fall Creators Update I noticed that the last user remains logged in after a computer reboot. I noticed this as the task manager shows this user as disconnected user if I log in with a different account after the restart.
    I also get a message at the next shutdown that another user is logged into the computer and might loose work.

Can someone indicate how to solve this

Thanks
    Ron

:)

RonStu, Oct 19, 2017
  2. ez.71 Win User

Windows 10 version 1709 - last user remains logged in after reboot

Julian,

that particular option is not a new feature with latest update. It has been around at least within the previous version, athough it had been hiding under "Updates" --> "Extended Options". On my installtions, I have activated that option in previous version
    as it comes very handy, when you like to make sure the latest updates get installed "in the background".

The behaviour in previous versions was like expected: Restart always did an implicit log off!

The behaviour in latest upgrade versions is like you described: After a restart some users sessions get automatically restored.

Please note: In business environments this option might be hidden by domain or group policy and might be toggled only by domain administrator.

HTH,

Tomi

ez.71, Oct 19, 2017
  3. Jagster Win User
    Windows 10 version 1709 - last user remains logged in after reboot

I found this odd behavior too and then found that it's caused by a new feature that that uses auto-logon to "automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart". The thing is, even just doing a normal restart, not involving any updates
    or app setups, will still auto logon the profile that was used to restart the PC. I thought my computer was just not rebooting properly until I found some web sites describing the issue.

There is an option to disable this behavior in the settings (Accounts -> Sign-in options), and I would have disabled this off but I've read that if you turn this off it also turns off a feature that I find really useful - Application Restart. Application
    Restart is a new feature that allows apps which you had open before rebooting to automatically reopen (and hopefully be in the same state as you had it - same docs open, etc) when you log back in. I believe the application developers need to enable this option
    when coding them so not all applications currently will do this but still I find i very useful me to be able to resume mostly where I left off after a reboot. Some people don't like this but I do - it depends on your personal usage on if it's something that
    you'll like. I think Microsoft should have a separate on/off option for the Application Restart feature rather than tying into the auto-logon on/off option (and they don't give any indication in the setting that disabling auto-logon will also disable the app
    restart functionality (as of ver 1709 build 16299.34).

Anyhow, here are a couple threads that covers this a bit more.

Auto sign-in

Application
    Restart

Jagster, Oct 19, 2017
  4. Ita1 Win User

+1

Fix?
    Just sign out before shutdown...

5. I noticed this too. Is there a setting somewhere to make it work the way it used to? That is, to log the user out on shutdown/restart.

radiowaves, Oct 21, 2017
  6. RonStu Win User
    Did not find a setting so far. Upgraded a second system at home which had the same behaviour. Seems like a bug in Fall Creator's update.

RonStu, Oct 21, 2017
  7. First, I agree this is a bug but also know it doesn't effect all computers.

To ensure a proper log out use Alt-F4 or one of the command prompt shutdown commands.

When you log into another account there are two ways to ensure your account is the only ?active? account.
    Task manager > tab Users. If the other account is still ?active? it will be reported as disconnected.

Windows 10 last user remains logged in after reboot [​IMG]

Start > Switch Users icon. the other account will be reported as being signed in.

I now use Alt-F4, after decades of training to use shutdown or restart. Using the Switch user icon is, perhaps, the best method as selecting the signed out user allows logging into the account, signing out, and relogging to the "correct" account.

ExpertNovice, Nov 5, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

For the other new 'feature' in 1709 that does affect all PCs, (apps that reopen after a restart) I have already put a workaround in place. You may find it more convenient than Alt+F4.

Create a folder named Power, put two shortcuts in that folder, one for a restart shutdown.exe /r /t 0 and one to shut down shutdown.exe /p then you can add the folder as a toolbar on the taskbar for easy access.

Bree, Nov 5, 2017
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Nov 5, 2017
  10. Ita1 Win User
  11. RonStu Win User
    Brink, this weekend I stumbled against a link describing exactly what you say. This indeed solves the problem. I've now turned off this setting for all users on the computer and no more users remain logged in after a reboot.
    Thanks for your help!!

RonStu, Nov 13, 2017
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome Ron. I'm glad it could help. *Smile

Brink, Nov 13, 2017
  13. Windows 10 last user remains logged in after reboot

(Sorry I didn't respond earlier...)

Brink, thanks for the information and it is so good it helped someone. I did check, after your post, and on the computer with the issue that option was disabled on all accounts.

ExpertNovice, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 last user remains logged in after reboot - Similar Threads - last user remains

2. Can't log in to Windows 10 after last update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't log in to Windows 10 after last update: When I start my pc and try to log in using my pin code, I get an error saying my pin can be validated at this time. I tried getting a new pin code, but that failed. After that I tried loging in with my password, but Windows claims its wrong. I have tried to change the...
  3. Can't log in to Windows 10 after last update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't log in to Windows 10 after last update: When I start my pc and try to log in using my pin code, I get an error saying my pin can be validated at this time. I tried getting a new pin code, but that failed. After that I tried loging in with my password, but Windows claims its wrong. I have tried to change the...
  4. Can't log in to Windows 10 after last update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows 10 showing last logged in user (but not the Administrator)

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows 10 showing last logged in user (but not the Administrator): I have what I think is a weird problem. I have a Dell Precision 5820 running Windows 21H1 (version 19043.1165) with all updates installed. I have two active user accounts (Administrator and Operator). I have the 'Interactive logon: Don't display last signed-in' set to...
  6. Windows 10 Enterprise ignores no reboot with logged on users policy

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Enterprise ignores no reboot with logged on users policy: I am using WSUS to manage windows Updates in my environment, hence the Enterprise licensing. My DC is server 2012 r2, function level 2012 r2. GPO's configured to: disable dual scan no forced reboot with logged on users no forced reboot during active hours I have mixed...
  7. Windows is Auto Logging into last User Account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows is Auto Logging into last User Account: Let me briefly explain as I have seen many of the post already on similar topics. I have multiple computers at multiple office and home locations all running windows 10 home edition (32 and 64). Lately (maybe last 6 months or so) windows is now logging into the last account...
  8. WiFi reboot after last update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WiFi reboot after last update: hi guys, after update my windows at the last version my wiFi reboot every time, how do i fix that ? i have windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/wifi-reboot-after-last-update/9642e8a5-0dc4-404c-8fb6-b94ecb19cc0e
  9. Windows 10 is automatically logging on to last user

Windows 10 is automatically logging on to last user: Hi All, I just upgraded to windows 10. I have 3 users (Me as administrator) my wife and kid as normal users. When my wife has been logged on and she shuts down the PC then it automatically logs on to her account when i start PC again. This is annoying. I would like it to...
  10. Windows logs automatically logs into last user

Windows logs automatically logs into last user: I just upgraded my PC to windows 10 and have already seen my first issue. I have two user accounts on my computer. Neither of them have passwords. In Windows 7 it would load up windows and give me the option to select the user I want to sign into. In Windows 10 to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win 10 user remains logged in

2. Last logged in user is showing after restart as disconnected windows

3. last logged on user remain windows

4. how to confirm last logged in user after reboot,
  5. user not logged back in after reboot group policy,
  6. user still logged on after shutdown and reboot,
  7. last logged on user lost at each reboot,
  8. windows 10 logoff current user before restart,
  9. windows 10 user not logged on but shows disconnected,
  10. reboot to last user windows 10,
  11. windows 10 user logged after reboot registry key,