Windows 10: Windows 10 Latest Build "For Gamers" Is it Ready for Primetime?

Discus and support Windows 10 Latest Build "For Gamers" Is it Ready for Primetime? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I enjoy any "Brink run" Windows site as they seem to have lots of knowledgeable,helpful people. I understand that the Nvidia Geforce Windows 10 Forum... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by specialkone, May 21, 2015.

1. Windows 10 Latest Build "For Gamers" Is it Ready for Primetime?

I enjoy any "Brink run" Windows site as they seem to have lots of knowledgeable,helpful people. I understand that the Nvidia Geforce Windows 10 Forum would be posters with issues but, man, SLI issues, game stuttering issues (with Directx 12?), G Sync issues, max Vram issues, lockups, etc all with a "Microsoft Windows 10 certified" Nvidia graphic driver. Also, from what I understand, the latest build of Windows 10 is pretty much final, with Microsoft working on "App stuff" now.

Are there any Windows 10 experts on this forum who are also serious PC gamers? What I'm trying to understand is whether or not there might be a lot of Kepler SLI owners ( I have Asus 770's in SLI) who are running the latest Windows 10 build with no gaming issues.

:)

specialkone, May 21, 2015
  2. vilu85 Win User

" Waiting for approval " until when !????

It means that it's waiting for approval from your operator and it has nothing to do with Nokia.

You could call your operator and ask about this approval, someone in technical service may know that how long it takes to approve the newest firmware. (For some reason, every operator has to approve the firmware updates and only after that their clients
    can do the update)

vilu85, May 21, 2015
  3. ATGT Win User
    " Waiting for approval " until when !????

Hi

i have a nokia N8 with the following product code 059D1M2 im always checking for the update realase , now its been a month evryday i check the updates availability i find " Waiting for approval" is nokia joking on us or what !!?

4. Windows 10 Latest Build "For Gamers" Is it Ready for Primetime?

Not sure, all the PC gaming enthusiasts I know stuck to Windows 7 and won't even touch 8.

FuturDreamz, May 27, 2015
  5. Nvidia's latest few drivers, both for Windows 10 and Windows 8.1, have been pretty terrible. I do my gaming exclusively on Windows 10 (build 10125 at the moment) and don't have many issues at all as long as I stick to the W8.1 drivers 347.88 or 350.12. Granted, I'm using Maxwell (SLI Gigabyte 970s), but I'd be willing to bet that Kepler cards will work fine as well, as long as you stick to the drivers I mentioned. Hopefully Nvidia gets things straightened out, as it's annoying having to import SLI profiles into older drivers just to be able to enjoy full performance in The Witcher 3.

blackroseMD1, May 27, 2015
  6. Thanks for the replies. Nvidia drivers "more terrible" for Kepler owners I would say. Discussions rage on with this topic of the Geforce forums. I would definitely say Nvidia has stopped optimizing drivers for Kepler since the release of Maxwell. Maybe that will change.

So you aren't using the Nvidia Windows 10 certified driver? Not a good sign to me. As I'm sure you know, Directx12 is supposed to be the answer to our prayers. In SLI configuration, video memory now stacked as it always should have been, multiple CPU cores ( I have six) optimized to share the load.

Don't want to be negative, but expecting disappointment. I'm old enough to remember when Nvidia stopped calling them video cards and changed it to "GPU's". The huge price hike with that was because the video card would now "also take over the work of the CPU", LOL. And to this day, a major issue with PC gaming continues to be CPU bottlenecks/unoptimized cores.

Of course a major issue with PC gaming is console ports to PC, many of which like the COD series hardly recognize the second GPU. I'm hoping the Directx12 templates for developers might fix some of that.

Overall I'm just thinking (Windows 10, Directx 12/developers/Nvidia) I'll be disappointed. Hope I'm wrong.

specialkone, May 29, 2015
  7. In the past couple of days I've learned that the Windows 10 drivers only crash on me if I have SLI enabled. That is pretty disappointing. Hopefully they'll come out with some drivers that fix that before RTM because, having used Mantle in the past with AMD cards, I'm pretty excited to see what DX12 can do.

Also, I'm aware of the discussions you're talking about on the GeForce forums. It's hard to take them seriously, though, with that one guy just spamming the same crap over and over in every single driver thread.

blackroseMD1, May 29, 2015
  8. Windows 10 Latest Build "For Gamers" Is it Ready for Primetime?

Yes, IMHO we have AMD to thank for their mantle development and thus helping to "push" Microsoft to develop DirectX 12.

An Nvidia WHQL Microsoft certified Windows 10 driver that only crashed in SLI, a technology that's been around for years. I'm worried.

Yes that one individual on the Geforce forums is a "wild one". However, the point, made by many others there and on the Guru3D forum IMHO is a valid one. I have seen nothing but FPS deterioration in the games I regularly play (BF4, etc) after 347.88 Nvidia drivers, drivers after Maxwell release.

specialkone, May 29, 2015
  9. elbmek Win User
    Currently 8.1, waiting for 10 in 4 weeks. Gaming (with nvidia - see spec) is offline only and no problems.

elbmek, Jun 1, 2015
  10. I'm almost considering going back to 8.1, just so I can have working drivers again.

Edit: Apparently something about Nvidia's W10 drivers and Windows 10 doesn't like overclocking, even factory OCs. Underclocked my cards by 100 MHz and I'm not getting the hard locks anymore.

blackroseMD1, Jun 1, 2015
  11. elbmek Win User
    maybe download and wait for me? I need to speak to HP here in the UK first. Nivida hopefully will be on the ball.

elbmek, Jun 2, 2015
  12. I don't think that downclocking "solution" is specific to issues in Windows 10. When Battlefield Hardline came out, some 300 Windows 7-8.1 Kepler users (including me) were immediately reporting direct X lockups. Many tried underclocking their cards, some with success, some not. I refuse to underclock a factory overclocked card. It's what Nvidia sold and what I perhaps regrettably paid for.

So I now have that Windows 10 reserved icon on my taskbar. It tells me Media Center will be removed. Unfortunately I know that. It tells me 0 issues with devices and apps.

At this point, I have my doubts Nvidia drivers/SLI are working properly. On the Creative website, it says a driver for the XFI Titanium will be released in October, 2015 (LOL) and they are notoriously late in delivering from their planned dates. Not sure about my Asus USB N53 803 network adapter and keeping my fingers crossed on the dell specific stuff, like Alienware Command Center (vents, fans and lights) and tactical keyboard and mouse. Command Center (includes fan control for gaming) is hit and miss even in Windows 8.1.

You're thinking about going back to 8.1. If I have Windows 10 third party driver issues stopping me from gaming as I should I'm going back to Windows 7. That will make Dell happy as they refuse to support anything other than Windows 7 on the Alienware Area 51 ALX, even though Windows 8 came out shortly after.

specialkone, Jun 6, 2015
  13. elbmek Win User

Windows 10 Latest Build "For Gamers" Is it Ready for Primetime?

I have never been one for overclocking, not sure what the advantages are, if any. But suppose that a different topic

elbmek, Jun 6, 2015
  14. Yes, different topic but IMHO factory overclocked cards are not the issue. Downclocking these cards is playing with the symptom of the problem, which is Nvidia's unified drivers, trying to maximize Maxwell performance and "take care" of Kepler, Fermi at the same time. I had zero issues before Maxwell came out.

Different topic as well, but I'm not a fan of unified drivers. I don't think this serves the customers in the best way. Similarly, I'm not a fan of one Windows OS for all devices. I have a smart phone and I'm thinking about a Surface, but as a PC gamer, I simply want the fastest, stable OS possible that works flawlessly with all my hardware, that works with Office (for work at home), has fast, stable internet connection and plays music. I don't care about touch features on a desktop PC, nor Metro apps and I'm not into the debate on the start menu. The icons I need are on the desktop. I also don't want Cortana telling me while gaming "shoot or duck now" LOL, or telling me "you have mail".

I read through this fine forum and I gather "Microsoft One" (all devices) is spending a lot of time on issues I don't really care about with my PC gamer hat on. Guess we will see if Windows 10 delivers to the PC gamer. Direct X 12, if/when it works, stacked multi card memory, optimized multiple CPU cores are all things exciting us. It also depends on video card manufacturers and game developers delivering as well. Wish Microsoft could remove that aspect from the equation.

PS: the removal of media center in Windows 10 is a bit more disappointing for me. This Alienware has a media center plug in. When you play music through Media Center, the lights are flashing, changing color and going to the beat of the music. It's hilarious. If I stick with Windows 10, guess I will have to bury Disco , something perhaps my friends/family would thank Microsoft for.*Smile

specialkone, Jun 6, 2015
  15. Nemix Win User
    Windows 10 gaming performance will get better will time as hardware manufacturers release stable drivers that work with the OS and Microsoft eventually releases the first major update for Windows 10 (Spring Update 2016 expected) to fix bugs and computability problems with both hardware and software.

I expect gaming performance and compatibility for Windows 10 to be slightly better than Windows 8.1 by summer of 2016, given a first major update is released by then for the OS and hardware manufactures have Windows 10 optimized drivers ironed out by then.

Nemix, Jun 6, 2015
Thema:

Windows 10 Latest Build "For Gamers" Is it Ready for Primetime?

1. Windows 10 Latest Build "For Gamers" Is it Ready for Primetime? - Similar Threads - Latest Build Gamers

2. Latest windows 10 Build

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Latest windows 10 Build: 12-17-2020 my computer did a download of Windows 10 version 2004 and version 20H2 - KB4592438, Build andSCREWED MY COMPUTER UP. BEWARE!!!!!! It has taken me most of TODAY to finally get my system to go back to the last build 1909.WHY?? Because the download had me running so...
  3. Build 19041 Version 20H1: There is said to be something in this build for gamers...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Build 19041 Version 20H1: There is said to be something in this build for gamers...: For further information, please refer to: https://www.neowin.net/news/how-to-enable-hardware-accelerated-gpu-scheduling-on-windows-10-may-2020-update...
  4. Windows 10 gamer edition ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 gamer edition ?: it's true microsoft is going to release a windows 10 edition specifically designed for pc gamers? if yes when microsoft is going to release it?! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-gamer-edition/b4a9a343-d40f-47ea-9074-3e2bdfbb1c93
  5. Windows 10 1803 Latest Build

Windows 10 1803 Latest Build: Hi There: Where can i download the latest Media Creation Tool for the above subject? Thank You https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-1803-latest-build/afdaba25-9abb-46e0-8585-7249496bfb46
  6. Windows 10 Latest build (1809)

Windows 10 Latest build (1809): I am chasing up to get the latest windows 10 build. When i can expect the updated release for download? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-latest-build-1809/615e825d-d927-4f00-93cf-cb6a7fcb95b5
  7. Windows 10 1803 Latest Build

Windows 10 1803 Latest Build: Hi There: Where can i download the latest Media Creation Tool for the above subject? Thank You https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-1803-latest-build/79e0b9e7-3d13-4b6c-8454-4b653df9805b
  8. Windows 10 Latest Build Problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Latest Build Problem: Hi there. Yesterday , i have upgraded my windows 10 pro to latest build 10586 using windows update. after upgrading something changed in my start menu which i dont like , and i want to bring it back . now , when i right-click on my start menu , it shows a black...
  9. Windows 10 Build 9855 Ready for Testing

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Build 9855 Ready for Testing: Microsoft has already shipped Windows 10 Preview build 9841 to users, but the company continues work on new versions that should be released for everyone in the coming weeks and months. Windows 10 build 9855 has recently been spotted online, confirming that a new testing...
  10. Windows 10 at six months: Ready for primetime?

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 at six months: Ready for primetime?: Windows 10 has been available to the public for six months this week. By the numbers, it's been a hit, with 200 million active users as of the first of the year. Here's Ed Bott's midterm report card. Microsoft released Windows 10 to the public six months ago this week...