Windows 10: Windows 10 launches extra thread when running an executable

Discus and support Windows 10 launches extra thread when running an executable in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi there. I observed that when creating an executable with Visual Studio, Windows 10 will launch one (sometimes even two) extra thread. This happens... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by catalincocis, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Windows 10 launches extra thread when running an executable

Hi there. I observed that when creating an executable with Visual Studio, Windows 10 will launch one (sometimes even two) extra thread. This happens even for the simplest program:

int main()
    {
    return 0;
    }

If you break on return 0, Visual Studio will show two threads: the main thread, and an extra unknown one.

Has anyone encountered this yet? Do you know the cause and if it should/will be fixed?

Thanks.

:)

catalincocis, Mar 30, 2015
  2. gudenau Win User

Run as admin fails

When I attempt to run anything on my fresh Windows 10 install it freezes the launching process for a minute then an error pops up, saying that the executable could not be found. This happens with all of the executables I have tried.

Windows 10 launches extra thread when running an executable [​IMG]

gudenau, Mar 30, 2015
  3. mkkania Win User
    Zoo Tycoon 2 does not launch in Windows 10

Dear All,

I have installed Zoo Tycoon 2 on my Window 10 Desktop PC. When trying to launch the app, I keep getting error message "You need to be logged in as an admin to launch this app". However, I am already logged as an admin. It does not help also when I select
    "Run as an admin" in properties of the executable file.

I used to have same problem in Windows 8.1 before upgrading to 10. The game used to run fine in Windows XP.

Thank you in advance for any idea!

Kind regards,

Marcin

mkkania, Mar 30, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

Windows 10 launches extra thread when running an executable

What kind of program are you creating? That looks like C, are you sure you aren't creating a managed app by mistake?

Mystere, Mar 30, 2015
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    You can create/test C/C++ in visual studio.. I use CodeBlocks.

BunnyJ, Mar 30, 2015
  6. Dude Win User
  7. No, it's not a managed app. I created a C++ General Empty Project.

8. BunnyJ New Member

BunnyJ, Mar 30, 2015
  9. Mystere Win User
    Mystere, Mar 30, 2015
  10. Dude Win User
    True, but the op didn't mention his version *Wink

11. I used Visual Studio 2008.

12. Dude Win User
    And this is a preview OS....Give feedback to MS *Wink

13. Mystere Win User

VS 2008 is no longer in Mainstream support, and will be completely end of lifed by 2018. I wouldn't expect much, if any traction on a VS2008 issue in Windows 10.

Mystere, Mar 30, 2015
  14. How should I? Do they have an official way or just the Windows Feedback app which they'll probably never read?

catalincocis, Mar 31, 2015
  15. SergeyN Win User
    Hi

Windows uses some tracing mechanics which internally uses a threadpool. It looks like it is created even before kernel32.dll gets loaded. I'll let you know if I find out more.

Update:
    threadpool is used not only for tracing subsystem, but it is also used to parallelize static imports (i.e. - the dlls your app depends on). Looks like it's the new default to have a few threads hanging around even if you don't use any multithreading in your applications at all.

SergeyN, Aug 17, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 launches extra thread when running an executable - Similar Threads - launches extra thread

2. executable won't run on windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    executable won't run on windows 10: I made a tic tac toe gamec# and made it into an executable. When I try to run the executable a message pops up saying "This app can't run on your pc" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/executable-wont-run-on-windows-10/393693b6-dc45-474e-836a-a13cbc3693fd
  3. Executable file not running

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Executable file not running: Hi, I have the following problem: Few months ago I wrote a python program that I converted with pyinstaller to an executable file. The .exe file ran smoothly. I got myself a new laptop and wanted to try the program, unfortunately I cannot start the program. Things I've...
  4. windows 10 defrag does not launch when try to run it

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    windows 10 defrag does not launch when try to run it: It is not listed in "Services Local" see attached picture". I've run Windows Repair, Scandisk, etc.. How do I get it to work again? [ATTACH]...
  5. chrome doesn't launch when it's running when in sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    chrome doesn't launch when it's running when in sleep: Just recently about every four times I bring the laptop out of sleep chrome won't launch. I found a website that told me to check the task manager and if it is there to "end task". and then it launches fine. When I look in the task manager I find two google chromes that are...
  6. Executables running but no active window

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Executables running but no active window: Over the past 2 weeks I've had this stupid fucking issue I can't fix. It started out with Steam. If I'd close it with the X and try reopening it, it wouldn't open, no matter what task manager bullshit I do - until I restart my computer. Then it happened to Minecraft. Then it...
  7. Location of Windows Run executable

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Location of Windows Run executable: Can someone please tell me the location of the executable for the Windows Run program? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/location-of-windows-run-executable/f78733fe-22d8-46f6-84f4-872e18c17c13"
  8. C++ Executable will not run on Windows 10

C++ Executable will not run on Windows 10: I wrote a C++ program that has run well for many years on various Windows versions including Windows 10. On brand new computers preloaded with Windows 10, the program will not run. It installs fine, but when you click on the executable nothing happens. There are no errors of...
  9. SYSTEM THREAD EXECUTION NOT HANDLED: NVLDDMKM.SYS

SYSTEM THREAD EXECUTION NOT HANDLED: NVLDDMKM.SYS: Hello, microsoft community. A few days ago I asked for help about a certain error "VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE" .I solved it, but now I'm facing this annoying BSOD which says SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED: NVLDDMKM.SYS. Whenever I launch my PC or start a game, after 10 to 15...
  10. Function of an executable detected when running Kaspersky

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Function of an executable detected when running Kaspersky: What is the function of consent.exe? I thought I spotted it during a Kaspersky scan on my laptop. Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/function-of-an-executable-detected-when-running/c065d09e-7868-457b-83e4-e0e17d367965