Windows 10: Windows 10 Lenovo Laptop: Cannot Access Homegroup

Discus and support Windows 10 Lenovo Laptop: Cannot Access Homegroup in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am not sure what happened to my settings, but if anyone can help, would be greatly appreciated! I am running a Lenovo Win 10 notebook on a home... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by petergoode, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Windows 10 Lenovo Laptop: Cannot Access Homegroup

I am not sure what happened to my settings, but if anyone can help, would be greatly appreciated!

I am running a Lenovo Win 10 notebook on a home system, at least theoretically networked into two Win 10 PC's and one Win 7 PC. Now, all of a sudden, the notebook only shows the Win 7 PC on the network in explorer...and I cannot get any response to homegroups. On the Change Homegroups Settings, clicking on the Change The Password link gets no response...and when I click on Leave the Homepage, it says I cannot do that either. I am the only user of this device, presume have administrator privileges.

I am one of those people who hates tweaking anything that will make anything worse....I know, you've heard that one before...even though I am NOT a total newbie.

Anyway, any thoughts and suggestions will be much appreciated...usual frustrations when something does not work.

:)

petergoode, Jun 18, 2017

2. Cannot connect to Homegroup printer

Hi there

So I have two laptops, one is Lenovo and one is Asus, and a desktop, which is Dell, that I am trying to connect to each other via Homegroup. The two laptops are running Windows 10, and the desktop is running Windows 8. I set up the Homegroup on my Lenovo
    laptop, and the other laptop and the desktop have successfully connected and can see the printer. The problem is with the Lenovo laptop. It cannot see anything shared on the other two computers, and it cannot access the printer. Every time I try to add it,
    it says that it either cannot communicate with the network, or it tells me "The Active Directory Domain Services is currently unavailable."

I would greatly appreciate any help in fixing this problem.

ClaireKnoetze, Jun 18, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Homegroup: Cannot check or reset password, cannot leave Homegroup

I don't know if the latest Win 10 updates altered something, but I cannot access the Homegroup from a Lenovo Win 10 Home laptop, on my home system, which includes two Win 10 Home PC's, one Win 7 Home PC. When I click on Homegroup option of changing password,
    there is no response at all. And when I try to leave the Homegroup, I get a circled red x saying I cannot leave the Homegroup. I am the administrator on this device.

I have checked everywhere, and cannot seem to find a solution.

If anyone has any ideas, I would obviously be MOST appreciative!

Thanks in advance.

petergoode, Jun 18, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

Windows 10 Lenovo Laptop: Cannot Access Homegroup

Homegroup has always been a mess. Try using standard network workgroup and it should work. The problem is that Microsoft uses IPv6 for Homegroup, along with the way the key is created, systems can end up not seeing each other if an update causes issues or someone reinstalls the OS on a machine and does not take the units out of the Homegroup before doing so. Also third party security software can cause issues.

bro67, Jun 18, 2017
  5. I do very much appreciate the reply. I am sure you are right, since I have not been changing a single thing on my systems, it must have been an update issue. Right now, I face the following:

Win 7 PC - can see all four systems on Homegroups, only itself on network
    Win 10 PC #1 and #2 - can see all four systems on Homegroups and network
    Win 10 Notebook - only sees the Win 7 PC on the networks, and cannot connect via homegroups.

All use Zone Alarm Internet Security as their firewall.

I can live with the problem, maybe some future Windows update will fix it...not worth spending hours to troubleshoot...I did read about a file on can rename (was isset or something like that) and that can sometimes help, but maybe I should leave well enough alone...

Again, thanks again for taking time to review my issue!

petergoode, Jun 18, 2017
  6. johnpd Win User
    There is a known problem in File Explorer for computers who have been upgraded to the Creators Update. You may not be able to see all your computers in the Network list? Network discovery has been broken. So if you have upgraded some of your Windows 10 systems to the Creators Update, you could be experiencing this issue. You will need to wait for MS to fix it. As a temporary workaround, if you enter the computer name (i.e. \\MYCOMPUTER2) in the File Explorer Network address bar, it should pick it up in the Navigation Panel from where you can access it. When MS will fix this is unknown. They are apparently aware of it.

JohnD

johnpd, Jun 18, 2017
  7. Well, that DOES explain a lot...I always figure it might be something I had done wrong, or a problem with my Zone Alarm, but with this explanation, I won't bother trying to tweak anything. I have had success with the \\mycomputer entry in the search box, but as I am sure you know, it does not "stick" in the network list on explorer. I always dread Windows updates, for this very reason. In their defense, I realize that there are billions of Win 10 systems with an infinite number of variations of software added by users...but geez, what a black hole for time trying to fix things when they break.

I hope that some future update will fix this, but I can live either way.

Thanks ever so much for this clarification.

petergoode, Jun 18, 2017
  8. bro67 Win User

Get rid of Zone alarm. It is known to cause problems with updates blocking services and ports.

bro67, Jun 18, 2017
  9. Oh...I have been using ZA for years...what would you recommend instead, if I might ask? I am very open to alternative suggestions.

petergoode, Jun 18, 2017
  10. Eagle51 Win User
    Once you rule out any issues with Zone Alarm. As a work around for the Win10 Master Browser issue. Shut down all PC's and start the Win7 PC first, then the other PC's . This should make the Win7 PC the master browser and hopefully then you will be able to see / use the other PC's in the HomeGroup.

Eagle51, Jun 18, 2017
  11. bro67 Win User
    I would use the Microsoft Firewall, since it is probably the best out there if you take the computer off of network on a Public network. As for checking for malware, use proper judgement when using the Internet, use Malwarebytes with Windows Defender or even go with Avast or AVG if you do your own scanning for the drive and shares instead of wanting it on all of the time.

The biggest worry is when people are not restricting websites from using Javascript or flash unless you want them. On the network, email and network sharing can easily place malware across the network.

bro67, Jun 19, 2017
  12. Good idea...I turned off all four...turned on the Win 7 system...then turned on the two Win 10 PC's and the Win 10 notebook...now all Win 10 systems see each other and the Win 7 system in the network....the Win 7 system, interestingly, does not see any of the other PC's.

petergoode, Jun 20, 2017
  13. bro67 Win User

Try Farbar's minitoolbox and service scanner on the one machine. Publisher page for Farbar Also check to make sure all machines are Private, same Workgroup, can ping each other. You can try Safe with Networking also on the culprit machine to see if every computer can be pinged from it.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Lenovo Laptop: Cannot Access Homegroup - Similar Threads - Lenovo Laptop Cannot

2. Cannot access my WIFI network on my Lenovo laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot access my WIFI network on my Lenovo laptop: I cannot detect my own WIFI network on my Lenovo Laptop. The network card appears to work fine but still cannot connect to my WIFI. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-access-my-wifi-network-on-my-lenovo-laptop/ad678011-bf22-412b-8ac4-54c2b0f56e2b
  3. Cannot access my WIFI network on my Lenovo laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot access my WIFI network on my Lenovo laptop: I cannot detect my own WIFI network on my Lenovo Laptop. The network card appears to work fine but still cannot connect to my WIFI. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-access-my-wifi-network-on-my-lenovo-laptop/ad678011-bf22-412b-8ac4-54c2b0f56e2b
  4. Cannot access cmd on Lenovo laptop, network issues...suddenly using windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot access cmd on Lenovo laptop, network issues...suddenly using windows 10: I suddenly lost my ability to connect to my wifi. Both my phone and pc. I managed to get my Sony Vaio desktop with Win10 connected though I have to run network diagnostics after I wake the thing up, since all this went south 2 weeks ago (even with the new wifi router). It's...
  5. Cannot join homegroup on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot join homegroup on Windows 10: I have a new Windows 10 computer, and I'm trying to join the existing homegroup in my home (which currently includes Windows 8 laptop and Windows 7 desktop), but to no avail. I tried to follow the instructions written by Shawn Brink in this forum: Open File Explorer,...
  6. how to access "homegroup" in windows 10?

how to access "homegroup" in windows 10?: how to access "homegroup" in windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-access-homegroup-in-windows-10/f913a138-178c-4495-9e95-855adb7d8b4f
  7. Cannot access Windows 10 on laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot access Windows 10 on laptop: To whom it may concern, While trying to do a clean install of Windows 10 on my laptop, the installation kept restarting (while incomplete) which resulted in a loop. In an attempt to fix the problem, I pulled out the installation USB so the laptop would boot to Windows (not...
  8. Lenovo laptop windows 10 cannot access bios

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lenovo laptop windows 10 cannot access bios: Hello, i have a lenovo ideapad z570 laptop. after installing windows 10, i cannot access bios settings anymore. laptop starts nothing happens when bios access key (f2) pressed. it goes straight to the windows loading screen bypassing the bios. and no uefi setting is...
  9. Joined Homegroup but cannot access other computers

Joined Homegroup but cannot access other computers: I have two laptops recently upgraded to Windows 10 (one was previously running 7, the other 8.1). I can connect both to a Homegroup, and they can access each other's files for a time, then (usually after one goes to sleep) they cannot access each other. The Homegroup is still...
  10. No homegroup access

No homegroup access: Hello I have set up home network behind a router. every basic operations as folders sharing work but when I try from Windows 10 machine to join homegroup created from another computer running Windows 8.1 the operation is unsuccessfull. The homegroup was firstly created on...