Windows 10: Windows 10 locking up after recent hardware upgrade.

Discus and support Windows 10 locking up after recent hardware upgrade. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I recently installed a new motherboard, cpu and ram and evert since then i have been getting some very strange lock ups. They never happen when i am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by exarkunofpr, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Windows 10 locking up after recent hardware upgrade.

I recently installed a new motherboard, cpu and ram and evert since then i have been getting some very strange lock ups. They never happen when i am using the PC. It will only lock up after i have left it on overnight. When i wake up the screen is frozen and the keyboard and mouse are non responsive. I have ran extensive tests on the new ram/cpu and i have yet to find an error or cause a crash from stress testing. I have also stressed the GPU and still no crashing.
    I have went through the even/reliability logs and they dont really seem to have anything showing up at the time of the crash. I guess the nice thing about this crash is since the screen freezes the clock gives me a nice time stamp of when it happend. If anyone has any ideas or software that can monitor crashes better i would love some advice on this

Current hardware

Msi M3 (MS-7978) motherboard
    i5 6600 @ 3.3
    2x 8gb ddr 4 pc4-17000 g skill inlt 1066.7Mhz 15-15-15-35
    EVGA GTX 970 SSC

:)

exarkunofpr, Mar 1, 2016
  2. 41Jimbob Win User

Windows 10 Lock on Sleep

I have recently upgraded to Windows 10 from 8.1. After setting up from desktop right click and personalize the lock screen to lock screen after 10 minutes then gone into screen saver and make it 10 minutes with the "on resume, display logon screen" box
    clicked.

I am unable to get the computer to lock after non-use.

Please advise.

Thanks

k

41Jimbob, Mar 1, 2016
  3. Fillbee Win User
    Windows 10 Num Lock On-screen indicator won't go away

I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on my new computer. Prior to upgrading I had followed directions for turning off the on-screen indicator that num locks is "on" (I'm not asking about turning num locks off and on: I'm asking about that annoyingly
    large icon in the middle of the screen that covers other things up). For a while after the upgrade this indicator was not staying on the screen, but now it's back and I can't find any instructions on how you get rid of it in Windows 10.

Any suggestions?

Fillbee, Mar 1, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

Windows 10 locking up after recent hardware upgrade.

Did you reinstall after the hardware change?
    Did you at least do a Repair Install (Refresh basically)?

Try turning off Fast Startup which is known to cause problems with sleep and hibernation on some computers.

Ztruker, Mar 1, 2016
  5. I did a a format and reinstall after the hardware change. And i turned fast start off so i will test that tonight

exarkunofpr, Mar 1, 2016
  6. Give "Whocrashed" a try {from resplendence.com} and see if it can identify which driver{s} is responsible and any available fix.

joeandmarg0, Mar 1, 2016
  7. Ztruker Win User
    If there are any .dmp files in C:\Windows\Minidump, zip and upload to the BSOD forum for analysis. Make sure you follow the instructions:

Windows 10 locking up after recent hardware upgrade. [​IMG]

Ztruker, Mar 3, 2016
  8. Windows 10 locking up after recent hardware upgrade.

There are not any dumps made from the crashes. The most recent one happend today at 5:17, while i was at work. No dump was made. I have turned fast start off and had whocrashed running but it didnt get anything from it.

exarkunofpr, Mar 4, 2016
  9. Ztruker Win User
    Do you have Hibernate enabled? Try disabling it.

Ztruker, Mar 4, 2016
  10. So going through the event log the 2 events closest to the most recent lock up are

The server CortanaUI.AppXtpp90jhw9p0njjb85kvhxpppgrqfp117.mca did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Activation of app Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy!CortanaUI failed with error: The app didn't start. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

After those 2 i get a few power lost and unexpected shutdown errors becaus ei have to reboot.
    now i also get
    Audit events have been dropped by the transport. 0
    I dont know if that meens but maybe i am losing the events that i need to be seeing

exarkunofpr, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 locking up after recent hardware upgrade.

1. Windows 10 locking up after recent hardware upgrade. - Similar Threads - locking recent hardware

2. Activation of Windows 10 after Hardware Upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation of Windows 10 after Hardware Upgrade: I upgraded my motherboard, cpu, and RAM. The newer motherboard didn't recognize the mbr boot so I reinstalled windows 10 on the machine. I updated the system first. Next I tried to activate windows. I see a cannot connect to activation server error on the page so I click on...
  3. Windows 10 not activating after recent Hardware Change???

Windows 10 not activating after recent Hardware Change???: I have made a recent hardware change motherboard, cpu and I found out you can transfer Windows 10 Digital License with your Microsoft Account. Before I physically made the hardware change I made my Microsoft Account link with my Windows 10 like told from your forums....
  4. Windows 10 Activation after Hardware Upgrade

Windows 10 Activation after Hardware Upgrade: Upgraded my motherboard today. I'm aware it ties its Windows 10 Key to the motherboard. Terrible idea by the way. Old one is dead, can't even re-install it to get the info if it exists on there and I probably wouldn't regardless. I have the windows 10 account tied to my...
  5. Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware upgrade

Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware upgrade: I recently upgraded both my CPU and motherboard, and 'Activate Windows' watermark showed up I tried the troubleshooter but it doesnt seem to work I also tried reenter the product key again and that also doesnt work. The troubleshooter doesnt show any error codes it just...
  6. Activating WIndows 10 After Hardware Upgrade

Activating WIndows 10 After Hardware Upgrade: Hi, I had Windows 7, and upgraded it during the free upgrade window. Everything was working just fine. Today, I upgraded my motherboard, processor, DRAM, etc, and now there is text on the bottom of my screen saying I need to Activate Windows. When I try to do so, it says it...
  7. Windows Deactivation After Recent Hardware Upgrade

Windows Deactivation After Recent Hardware Upgrade: So i bought a prebuilt PC about a year ago, and recently decided to upgrade it because the hardware was outdated for the games i play. I upgraded my motherboard, cpu, and ram. When i first booted i had a blue screen (which is irrelevant because it was a bad app) so i decided...
  8. Windows 10 not genuine after hardware upgrade

Windows 10 not genuine after hardware upgrade: Upgraded my motherboard, CPU and RAM last night from Black Friday sales. Upon turning on my PC it tells me it's not genuine. Googled it, found it's a common thing, apparently the license is tied to your motherboard. Okay, fine, I follow the steps to re-activate via the...
  9. Windows 10 Activation After a Hardware Upgrade

Windows 10 Activation After a Hardware Upgrade: Hello, I recently upgraded my computers hardware significantly (only the SDD and PSU remain). I have not been able to activate windows after reinstalling windows (clean install). I attempted to use: Troubleshoot>I Changed my Hardware Recently and am positive that I...
  10. Hardware Problems after upgrading to Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hardware Problems after upgrading to Windows 10?: Okay, I'm not sure if these are Windows 10 problems or not, but I just upgraded maybe 10 days ago and am having 2 hardware problems. I know for sure 1 was not occurring immediately. I cannot remember 100% if #2 problem occurred immediately after upgrading or if it started...