Windows 10: Windows 10 Lockscreen Appears When I'm Typing (non-idle state)

Discus and support Windows 10 Lockscreen Appears When I'm Typing (non-idle state) in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Here's an interesting one: over the past few days I will be sitting at my machine working, and the lock screen will appear on my primary monitor. As... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by EdTittel, Dec 15, 2017.

1. EdTittel Win User

Windows 10 Lockscreen Appears When I'm Typing (non-idle state)

Here's an interesting one: over the past few days I will be sitting at my machine working, and the lock screen will appear on my primary monitor. As soon as I log back in, I can pick up where I left off but it's disconcerting. I was on the phone with @Kari today, in fact, and had to restart a Skype for Business call with him because I'd lost the audio on the connection after this happened.

I've been all over my power options and have made sure to extend the time windows for disk, display and sleep to kick in. None of those seemed to make a difference. I also went to the Screen Saver window, switched from None to Bubbles, then switched back to None. So far it's been 6 hours and the problem hasn't recurred.

Has anyone else experienced this recently? If so, please post your info and any solutions you may have found. Thanks!

--Ed--

:)

EdTittel, Dec 15, 2017

2. LOCK SCREEN: LOCK SCREEN IS BLANK

Since of FallCreatorsUpdate the LockScreen is blank - no date & time, no action icons, and the slideshow doesn't work. I installed Windows 10 Fall Creators Update on many computers with newer hardware based on Windows 7/8.1/10, and this issue appears there,
    too. I found the cause of this issue -- when I disable "Play animations in Windows" the LockScreen works fine. But, when I enable this option, issue appears again.

Note: I did clean installation of Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.

SPECIFICATIONS

Edition: Windows 10 Pro

System type: x64

Version: 1709 (OS Build 16299.214)

Screenshot 1: Current state of the LockScreen - blank (only wallpaper).
    Windows 10 Lockscreen Appears When I'm Typing (non-idle state) [​IMG]

LazarKING993, Dec 15, 2017
  3. Trying to download Mortal Combat 4 over Wifi is failing.

If Wi-Fi is active when lockscreen kicks in it will only de-activate after it goes idle.

Paul van der Heu, Dec 15, 2017
  4. Kari Win User

I found this: Windows spotlight on lock screen may cause devices to spontaneously sleep or lock

The article says issue being fixed in Anniversary Update but apparently it is not resolved in your case.

According to this question and answer at Microsoft Community, the culprit could also be if Lock Screen is set to use Slideshow instead of Spotlight as in the above mentioned Microsoft support article.

5. EdTittel Win User
    Nailed it on your first try, Kari. I do indeed use SpotBright to get the spotlight images in slideshow format on my lockscreen. Checked TaskMgr on my problem machine and found LockApp.exe (right now) but no LockScreenContentServer. exe. If it happens again, I'll know exactly what to do. Thanks!
    How on *earth* did you find this? I poked around on my own before posting this thread. I'm impressed by your sleuthing skills.
    Thanks again,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Dec 15, 2017
  6. Kari Win User
    A pro tip: I Googled *Wink

7. EdTittel Win User
    I googled, too, but I'd like to know what search string(s) you used. They were obviously superior to mine. Thanks,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Dec 15, 2017
  8. Kari Win User

Firs, I was just joking *Smile

I searched Bing for "Windows locks when not idle". First hit took me to Microsoft Community, this thread. Got interested when I saw that 42 users had clicked "I have the same question".

Read all replies, the last one then had link to this article on Microsoft Support.

Kari, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Lockscreen Appears When I'm Typing (non-idle state) - Similar Threads - Lockscreen Appears I'm

2. Windows Lockscreen Appearing On Windows Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Lockscreen Appearing On Windows Desktop: So when i log in with my passcode the lockscreen appears as an overlay on my desktop screen and it will stay there until i hit refresh. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-lockscreen-appearing-on-windows-desktop/b8121028-595a-49cf-8278-1478479aef59
  3. Windows Lockscreen Appearing On Windows Desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Lockscreen Appearing On Windows Desktop: So when i log in with my passcode the lockscreen appears as an overlay on my desktop screen and it will stay there until i hit refresh. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-lockscreen-appearing-on-windows-desktop/b8121028-595a-49cf-8278-1478479aef59
  4. Windows Lockscreen Appearing On Windows Desktop

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  5. Windows won't wake from Idle state

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows won't wake from Idle state: Hello, We have a HP Pavillion 15-P083sa laptop running Windows 10 64-Bit, updated to the October 2020 issue 20H2. Since then we have had an issue where the laptop would not always wake from an extended idle state. Pressing the power button, using the keyboard or trackpad...
  6. Windows 10 "idle state" while booting

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 "idle state" while booting: I reset my Dell Inspiron 14 N4050 a few weeks back because of some weird OS issues, and after that the laptop seems to be in an idle state while booting, meaning that the laptop's SSD keeps making slight beeps for a minute or so at regular intervals. It used to happen before...
  7. Grey Box appears when typing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Grey Box appears when typing: I get this grey box that pops up whenever I am typing on chrome, word, etc. It seems to be an autosuggest since if I hover over the box, it is selectable and if I click a word gets typed. Any ideas what is wrong or how I can fix it? [ATTACH] [ATTACH]...
  8. Windows 10 going to idle state when gaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 going to idle state when gaming: For some strange reason Windows 10 is unable to detect Active 3D gaming sessions on the computer. The system goes into idle states (lock screen/turn off monitor/sleep) and only if the mouse or keyboard is not used during the gaming session. Checked with different game titles....
  9. Letters not appearing simultaneously when typed?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Letters not appearing simultaneously when typed?: Don't know if this is a hardware or computer problem, but think it is computer performance related problem. I have been using a MS Arc keyboard for the last three years with no problems until the last several months. Often times when the computer is first booted up, and for a...
  10. when shuting down, windows puts the NTFS into an non-editable state

in Windows 10 Support
    when shuting down, windows puts the NTFS into an non-editable state: [img] which shut-down option should i change to remove that hibernation part (fast restarting)from the shutdown process i could find any help anywhere else 80136