Windows 10: Windows 10 Login Password Use when Network Mapping

Discus and support Windows 10 Login Password Use when Network Mapping in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a Windows 10 Pro installed on a Vaio Z Canvas laptop and as the only user I do not use a password to login each time I turn it on. I have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mb300e, Jul 3, 2016.

1. mb300e Win User

Windows 10 Login Password Use when Network Mapping

I have a Windows 10 Pro installed on a Vaio Z Canvas laptop and as the only user I do not use a password to login each time I turn it on. I have a Wireless and Ethernet network installed so that I can share files, printers etc. and do not use public folders on any of the devices.

From the Vaio Z I can access any and all devices attached to the network without any issues, however I cannot access files and folders on the Vaio Z from any other device. When I try to, the Vaio Z requires an ID which I have, and a password which I do not have or use. I can map to and access any device from any other device except mapping to the Vaio Z. *Sad

I assume that if I create a password for my user ID on the Vaio Z I should be able to access it from my other networked devices once it is mapped. If this is the case is it safe for me to assume that I can turn off (disable) the password so that it is not required when starting up the Vaio Z. None of my devices require passwords on startup.

Any advice or suggestions will be most welcome.

Peter B.

:)

mb300e, Jul 3, 2016

2. after add pin number I can't see or connect to my network computers, If I logon on using my password everything works

This seems to be a known bug regarding Mapped Networks in Windows 10, you should use alphanumeric password when you need to log on to a mapped network drive.

Andre Da Costa, Jul 3, 2016
  3. awoitte Win User
    Removing network drive login and replacing with separate credentials

On a PC running Windows 10, I mapped a network drive with an administrative account to make an installation, but meant to use a Read Only account. When I try to map the username/password that has read only access to the files I get an error stating I need
    to remove the current network drive or login, I can't remember the exact error. I looked around and can't seem a way to actually disconnect and REMOVE the saved admin credentials.

Can someone give me some insight?

Thanks,

awoitte, Jul 3, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Did you make sure that the Firewall is disabled and that in Advanced Sharing settings, that Password Protection is also disabled, along with the setting for Home group, changed to the other setting.

You should be at least seeing C$ in the Network when you browse the SMB/CIFS Network. Can you also see the machine from the Command Window with "Net Use"? See Mapped Drives Unavailable via Escalated Command Prompt?

bro67, Jul 4, 2016
  5. mb300e Win User
    Hi Bro,

The only thing I checked was my Password Protection and it was enabled. I disabled it and checked access from one of my WIn7 laptops and it worked. I will check a few of my other networked devices next week and will report back.

Thanks for the tip. *Smile

Peter B.

mb300e, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Login Password Use when Network Mapping - Similar Threads - Login Password Network

2. recover password used to login into a mapped drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    recover password used to login into a mapped drive: Is it possible to recover a pwd to a mapped network drive? Windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recover-password-used-to-login-into-a-mapped-drive/dc16cafc-7761-4ee9-9e73-fa36ec1a8c0c
  3. recover password used to login into a mapped drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    recover password used to login into a mapped drive: Is it possible to recover a pwd to a mapped network drive? Windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recover-password-used-to-login-into-a-mapped-drive/dc16cafc-7761-4ee9-9e73-fa36ec1a8c0c
  4. recover password used to login into a mapped drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Map network drive asking for credentials when none are used

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Map network drive asking for credentials when none are used: I cannot get a third profile to map to a network drive on my laptop. Me, The administrator is mapped and working fine. 1 profileI created a new profile for my daughter and mapped the drive with no issues. 2nd profileI created a new profile for my son 3rd profile and when I...
  6. Map network drive asking for credentials when none are used

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Map network drive asking for credentials when none are used: I cannot get a third profile to map to a network drive on my laptop. Me, The administrator is mapped and working fine. 1 profileI created a new profile for my daughter and mapped the drive with no issues. 2nd profileI created a new profile for my son 3rd profile and when I...
  7. Map network drive asking for credentials when none are used

8. Mapping a network drive using a local network

Mapping a network drive using a local network: Hi. I would like to map my network drive to my desktop from my laptop. I am using a wireless extender how can I map my network drive using my local network?...
  9. Map network drive using cmd

Map network drive using cmd: Hi! The command for folder mapping in cmd is the following: net use Y: \\Hostname\Share and it worked The command for mapping drive D in cmd is the following: net use Y: \\Hostname\D$ and it does not work Do you know why ? 172943
  10. Map network drive results "the network folder is already mapped using....

Map network drive results "the network folder is already mapped using....: Map network drive results: the network folder is already mapped using..... Windows 10, no domain controller, all machines in "WORKGROUP" I can see the share from other PCs but not the new Win10 pc....